Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New DMP video

Anyone seen this one? It's pretty cool.

I've been watching photography critique vids recently and photographers seem to favour images that "pop" with higher contrast and saturation and almost never praise images for having more natural colour and values. Kind of interesting.

Why is more natural colour favoured in realism oil painting? Sinply because it's more real istic or is there more to it than that?

Some of my paintings have a more natural colour while others are higher contrasty. I think I prefer the more natural looking ones.
anweshaSummerBOB73rautchetan

Comments

• @movealonghome ;  Coincidentally I've been watching Mark's YouTube videos lately.  Some underwater sea life, flowers, birds, animals, sunsets, clothing may require high intensity colors, but they do seem to be spilling over into areas where they don't belong.  Realist painters are vulnerable and many have fallen victim.  There are a lot of high-intensity acrylic and oil paintings on Google Images for example.  I like both the natural and highly saturated colors and use them both myself but I hope I will always know when to use them.  Thanks for the video.  A good reminder that this problem exists.  Summer     
  • I’ve watched Marks’s instructional videos on contrast and photography a few times now. Most if not all cameras are set up to accentuate bold highlights. As of now I do all of my work from photographs, and without having photoshop or lightroom, it’s really difficult for me to actually take a source photo. 

I uses to workout with all the strong pigments straight from the tube with linseed and thinner as a medium. Now that I’ve switched to Mark’s limited pallet and slow dry medium, my realism and level of artwork has improved greatly. You really can mix ~99% of the natural colors with just the primaries. On my current painting I only had to reach for pthalo once and that was for a piece of jewelry.
  • This video is brand new posted a few days ago but he has covered this same advice a few times before. This one explains how we've become used to seeing and preferring over exposed and over saturated photos and also how to compare and make/choose your colors to be more natural. The bottom line is if we are painting from a photo it is almost necessary to have litghtbox, Photoshop or Gimp to get the right light-balance, exposure and contrast to get natural color.