Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

The difference in color in my paint brand, Geneva and W&N.

Hello everyone!

I'm using a brazilian paint brand called Corfix, and I'm not sure about the colors. In the first and second images we see the colors originally used by Mark in videos of 2012. Next we have the Geneva colors, and then the color tables that I'm using. I clearly noticed that the red of the Geneva colors are not as intense as the alizarin used in 2012, and I'm not sure if the yellow that Mark uses now is pale, to me it seems to be medium.

The alizarin I use (fourth image) looks quite like the one used in 2012 (according to the manufacturer they use pure pigments, as well as the cadmium colors), but would not it be better for me to change it for cadmium red (vermelho , in portuguese)? And would it make a lot of difference to use cadmium yellow (amarelo cádmio) rather than pale (claro), as in the attached yellow table? Perhaps the "pale" only helps in the function of lightening the colors, but add a little white next to it would fulfill this function, no?

And one last question: considering that this manufacturer does not provide the french utramarine, the ultramarine blue (azul ultramar) is an acceptable substitute or the cobalt blue (azul cobalto) would be better?

Thank you all!
Ps.: sorry for my english ;)

Comments

• The middle cadmium yellow (36) looks the best to me from that screenshot.

Geniuine Alizarin Crimson (Pigment Code PR83) is a Fugitive colour. That means it fades badly when used in tints.

Cadmium Red (PR108) won't fade but won't let use mix strong purples compared to blue leaning reds. If you do want to do purple colours I would be tempted to use the Rosa Antiga (91) on it's own, or the Cadmium red and the Laca Magenta (105)

The Ultramarine Blue (68) will be fine. Don't get the cobalt hue one as the white in it will stop you mixing some strong colours.
    BOB73Nei_P_JSummer
  • Richard_P said:
    "If you do want to do purple colours I would be tempted to use the Rosa Antiga (91) on it's own, or the Cadmium red and the Laca Magenta (105)"
    Thanks, Richard_P.

A question: mix cadmium red and the laca magenta would not make the red cold and dark?

• edited April 13
    Hi,

You are thinking the way I used to do! Here is my take on this:

• Yellow: amarelo cádmio looks more yellowish than claro version. But the print photo may not be 100% accurate. So, for one time when you go to a shop just open the claro tube and see if that would serve the purpose. I have used cad yellow medium but felt that the yollow should have lightened a color a little further. Adding white doesn't always help. I use Cad lemon now. No problem, It is light and bright.
    • Red: Your Alizarin looks a little warmer, which is the same as mine. Should be good. Idea is to use a pure cool red. Quinac magenta with Cad lemon would make good bright reds and oranges. For extremes you need cad orange
    • Blue: I use ultramarine blue as it is cheaper than French Ultramarine. Practically no difficulty whatsoever. I also use cobalt blue (middle blue color without a bias) as it can be mixed for pure violets or pure greens. Only problem is the blacks. But e.g. in plein air painting there is no dark blacks but in studio you can create extreme darkness. So, the choice is yours.
    keep it simple, If the colors can create good oranges, purples, greens and also extreme lightness and decent blacks then those will serve the purpose.