Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Young girl portrait, wip

Unfortunately had one month break during my paintings. I guess I need some warming up.

Posting a portrait I started yesterday, 70cm x70cm, oil on canvas, still wet and possible to fix.

All comments, critics, suggestions are very welcome!

SummerPaulBJessicaArtMiotassieguyMikeDerbyLeo2015KaustavrautchetandencalmahdiElizaanweshamattyblueBOB73michalis

Comments

• Comment : WOW. 
    Critics: none.
    Suggestions: maybe a bit of blue tone on the shadow part of the face?

• Superb.  You don't even need to finish it.
  • Whoa! This is amazing!  Crazy good!
  • PaulB said:
    Superb.  You don't even need to finish it.
    I thought the same exact thing. It can be called finished already.
  • Nice work it reminds me of Cesar Santos the pencil around the oil painting 
  • I agree.  It could be left as finished and some blues would help in the shadows. Your “drawing” skills give the painting a sense of spontaneity which I like a lot.  However, if there are “clients”, they may want it finished. In that case, you’re off to a great start.  

• jarubejarube -
    edited April 4
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions

@Bobitaly
    @Rtaeger
    I find you suggestion about bluish shadows useful, but this painting has a warm brown background and it wouldn't look realistic. I think will use your advice for my next paintings with cold or neutral background

@PaulB
    @Mio
    @janneuf
    @Rtaeger
    It's so interesting suggestion about leaving as it is. This is not a commission, so I can do whatever I want, but I feel too humble to leave such a mess. I started this drawing with simple pencil, with thought that will fix it with fixative, but lately read, that fixative is not good with oils. So painted on top with inktense pencils, then eliminated simple pencil. Thats how all the mess happened :)
    marieb
  • Great work.  I disagree about the blue shadows especially considering the light side is a cool tone.  Normally you do warm in the dark and cool in the light or vice versa.
    KaustavBOB73
  • JeffAllen said:
    Great work.  I disagree about the blue shadows especially considering the light side is a cool tone.  Normally you do warm in the dark and cool in the light or vice versa.
    This is very important. You can put some dull warm color on the hair rather than putting black in the dark area. I feel that you complete the hair... at least put some colors on the lighter side. Fill in the blanks.
  • Sorry for the ignorance @JeffAllen but why did u say the light part is a cool tone? 
  • The light area is a cool tan not a warm tan.  Any color can be made warm or cool.
  • Maybe I'm hard on this but I still don't understand @JeffAllen . What kind of parameters do you use to say it is a cool tan? 
  • jarubejarube -
    edited April 5

@Bobitaly
    @JeffAllen

Most of highlights were made of Flesh deep, Beige and titanium white. Some of highlights were warmed with additional cadmium yellow

I guess it's difficult for you to discern exact highlight color, because it has very little saturation in it and most likely you are looking to photographs through uncalibrated monitor, and seeing not exact colors.

Well, warmth is not vivid, but definitely there are no cold tones in highlights.
  • @JeffAllen, with regard to the link you posted,I like to read technical stuff like this,i was particularly interested in what was said regarding the warmth or coolness of various blues, a minefield, as there are two distinct and opposing schools of thought.  Would people’s opinion on the relative warmth or coolness of the lighter side of the face be determined by what device they are viewing the painting on and how accurate the photo is ?
  • @jarube, You commented whilst I was typing my comment. I am just curious, why do you use flesh tint and beige to paint the skin, is it to save time ? 
  • @marieb
    It's a good question, WHY I did this. I guess I could use many different options to get the needed color.

The main reason was that I've almost run out of that beige and I want to finish it, and not buy any longer.
    I have a lot of swatches of flesh and I like to paint skin with them very much. Mark says avoid them, but for me it's a lot of time saving. Unfortunately this particular Flesh deep is a cheap one (I can't find deluxe substitute) so I am using it now, but will avoid for my future commissions (because of possibility of cracking or fading)
  • @Marieb:  Yeah, I'm just going based off of what I see in the photo posted.  Looks like a pretty cool tan to me.  It could look totally different in person.
  • @jarube ; I hope that I don't further confuse things, but as long as you are not using Geneva paints and you are still experimenting, I just learned from a highly respected professional, Stefan Baumann, that Thalo Yellow Green, Alizarin Crimson - don't know if it's the regular or permanent, so try both, and white - didn't say which white , probably Titanium - makes the absolute best flesh colors.  This is now on my list of things to try.  Hope its the Alizarin Crimson Permanent, the one I will try, because the regular Alizarin Crimson begins to change color on the canvas in as little as ten years according to what I have read.  Summer
  • @Summer
    Thank you for advice.
    I’v heard Alizarin cracks and fades, hope your permanent one will be ok.
  • jarube said:
    Unfortunately this particular Flesh deep is a cheap one (I can't find deluxe substitute) so I am using it now, but will avoid for my future commissions (because of possibility of cracking or fading)
    There should be the pigment information on the tube. From that you can work out the lightfastness.

It shouldn't crack btw..
  • I don't know about cool vs warm either but the painting is very nice. I'm not as sophisticated when it comes to art as some of the members here; I'd like to see the painting finished.
  • @Richard_P
    I think there is a different law system in Europe and US , because I find no ingredients listed on the tube. After watching Mark's video about white paint toxicity I tried to read my titanium white composition, but it wasn't here, now again...

Anyway, I think I could repeat the same or similar color, but I feel too lazy for this now :3 

@BOB73 thank you :)
  • From your photo I can see the pigment information on the front of your Lukas Studio Beige:
    PW6 / PW4 / PY35
  • @Richard_P
    You are so right, thank you!
    Will analyse these symbols, it looks interesting!
  • Great painting, it reminds me a lot of some Cesar's Santos paintings approach...:)
    jarube