Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

I need a good spanking-WIP double portrait from really bad photo

After promising myself I would only paint portraits from a decent photo, I have taken this on for a dear friend. It’s a photo of her and her sister from the 1980s. The sister ( blonde) has recently suffered a catastrophic brain injury and my friend wanted a portrait of them together when they were young and fancy free. The photo is ripped, faded and taken with a flash, GREAT! They both have Green/blue eyes in real life, in the photo they are red/brown ha ha.
Let the fun begin  :o


mariebFlattyLeo2015

Comments

  • Good one, @Summer@Boudicca, the drawing is fantastic. I don't think this is going to be as big a challenge as you might think. Till you get to their hair anyway. I hope they will both be able to enjoy this.
    SummerBoudicca
  • I like the photo and the drawing so far. About eyes u can try to change colour in a program mixing the RGB channel and save one photo only for the eyes. Looking forward :)
    Boudicca
  • @Boudicca, it is going to work out fine ! Be careful what you say about “ spanking” you wouldn’t want anyone to take you seriously  B)
    Boudicca
  • Boudicca

    Flash photography indoors will give you black distended pupils. Even worse is the dreaded red eye.
    Flash also kills shadow and usually burns highlights, but with slow film and budget cameras there ain’t much choice.

    Suggest you match eye colour from life or a recent/decent photo of your dear friend.

    Denis

    Boudicca
  • The right shoulder of the person in front looks off.
    Leo2015Boudicca
  • It just needs to be rounded off a bit. 
    Boudicca
  • dencal said:
    Boudicca

    Flash photography indoors will give you black distended pupils. Even worse is the dreaded red eye.
    Flash also kills shadow and usually burns highlights, but with slow film and budget cameras there ain’t much choice.

    Suggest you match eye colour from life or a recent/decent photo of your dear friend.

    Denis

    The distended pupils are a result of factors other than the flash - working title, The Morning After the Night  Before  ;)
    dencalJulianna
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 8
    Boudicca said:
    dencal said:
    Boudicca

    Flash photography indoors will give you black distended pupils. Even worse is the dreaded red eye.
    Flash also kills shadow and usually burns highlights, but with slow film and budget cameras there ain’t much choice.

    Suggest you match eye colour from life or a recent/decent photo of your dear friend.

    Denis

    The distended pupils are a result of factors other than the flash - working title, The Morning After the Night  Before  ;)
    Or, maybe it was how they felt about the person taking the photograph.  Hmm  :3
  • Summer and Boudicca

    An Interesting aside:



    This is Solanum Nigrum otherwise known as Deadly Nightshade (or Bella Donna)
    It grows as a common pioneer weed around here and is related to the tomato and potato family.
    The white flowers produce green berries and are poisonous. Once ripe and black they are similar to tomato in flavor. The birds love them, which explains their successful distribution strategy.

    The interesting fact is that this is the plant used to by 18th c ladies to increase the size of their pupils to subliminally signal to a man that she was interested. (We don't stand a chance huh!)

    Opticians also use this substance as a pupil dilator in order to examine the retina.

    Keep an watch out for this plant its a real eye opener  ;)

    Denis

    SummerBOB73marieb
  • Hey @Dencal it is true, and I found amazing people outside the world of medicine love this things :) As a interesting fact the reflex of mydriasis (pupils dilatation) is linked with the lens relaxation which makes a person focusing only from very close distance...that explains why man had such strange fake hair at the time when the plant was used, women were actually blind and couldn't see nothing over 30 centimeters.. :D
    Summer
  • I have eaten the berries of these, can only eat when the berries are fully black otherwise toxic, tasty treat. The chooks love them.
    Summer
  • Boudicca said:
    I have eaten the berries of these, can only eat when the berries are fully black otherwise toxic, tasty treat. The chooks love them.
    Did the men love the effect too? ;)
    Kaustav
  • Richard_P said:
    Boudicca said:
    I have eaten the berries of these, can only eat when the berries are fully black otherwise toxic, tasty treat. The chooks love them.
    Did the men love the effect too? ;)
    Well, what can I say, Leonardo carted me around for years, couldn’t let go.......

    Truthfully? You don’t want to eat too many of these, no one wants to be around the digestive effects of these things, lol.
    marieb
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 12
    Thanks @dencal, @Bobitaly, @Richard_P and @Boudicca ; Funny coincidence here because I've been reading about plant lectins lately and their strategies to protect themselves and their babies from being eaten by us and other animals--until the time is right to spread their seeds.  The more sugary they are the safer they are to eat.  Because the sugar is fructose, you will feel like eating lots and lots.  I'll never have the pleasure of eating Deadly Nightshade berries, unfortunately, because I live in another part of the world.  But I have undergone the eye tests mentioned.  Thanks for the information.  Really enjoyed it.  Summer
  • Very informative and entertaining thread. It proves once again "where there is ART there is also WISDOM" but I kinda liked the spanking reference as opposed to the morning after.
  • Summer

    Just remembered the name of the active substance used as a pupil dilator is Atropine.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropine?wprov=sfti1


    Denis

    Summer
  • BOB73 said:
    Very informative and entertaining thread. It proves once again "where there is ART there is also WISDOM" but I kinda liked the spanking reference as opposed to the morning after.
    Ha ha @BOB73- the spanking reference was about me needing a spanking for attempting to paint such a poor quality reference photo which I swore I would not do after my last portrait. However, I like the title “ The morning after a good spanking”, it  would explain the hair, lol 
    BOB73marieb
Sign In or Register to comment.