Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

"pre" oiling out

Hello, 

Is it a good idea to pre oiling out a canvas before applying paint ?
I wonder if it'll avoid “sunken-in”.

Comments

• I do this sometimes because paint application seems to be better.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 3
    @stef and @JeffAllen ; Wasn't this the Bob Ross method as well?  I want to try it.  Do you just oil over a dried stained canvas with refined linseed oil after the drawing is in place and you are about to begin painting?  Or, am I off track and you're writing about something else?  Summer 
  • I don't see why not.  I'm not sure about Bob Ross.
  • It’s called painting into a couch (koosh) and can be done on a surface prior to painting or during a painting on an area that has dried.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 3
    Thanks.  Never heard of couch (koosh) or done this for the whole canvas at the beginning.  Can't wait to try it.  However, oiling out dried areas is a method I use frequently.  Thanks @JeffAllen and @Boudicca.
  • edited April 3
    My way to avoid sinking in is to wet sand the gesso after applying 5 coats. Even when I paint the black backgrounds tbhe black paint stays looking fresh for weeks.
    Summer
  • Summer said:
    @stef and @JeffAllen ; Wasn't this the Bob Ross method as well?  I want to try it.  Do you just oil over a dried stained canvas with refined linseed oil after the drawing is in place and you are about to begin painting?  Or, am I off track and you're writing about something else?  Summer 
    I never tried, but I want to oiling out my canvas after the drawing but before the painting. Just to "feed" the canvas with oil. On my new paint I tried another technique. I "blocked in" the canvas with intermediates values before applying my final paint. I'll feed the gesso with oil too.