Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Returned to studio today after 2-month absence due to illness, but....

SummerSummer -
edited April 2 in Studio & Supplies
when I turned on the 5000K lights, I found more obstacles to my actual painting today.  What in the world do you people do about major dust accumulation.  Almost half an inch--everywhere!  I had the paints and paintings covered but I certainly should have thrown sheets over the entire studio section of the room.  Any ideas?  I usually keep on top of things.  A little dusting here and there but this is hard to ignore.  Time to call in the professionals I think.   Summer

Comments

• @Summer we have a huge red dust problem in Maui, its everywhere -I use a room air filter from Costco Thera Pure  is called, and does a great job ramps up and down as the air quality drops / varies  - I also have screens on all my windows mostly to stop the strange creatures that fly around on the Islands (not tourists)  - the screens and the filters makes it manageable - good luck with your painting, I hope we get to see one soon,...
  • PaulB said:

I did take the precaution of losing all my hair, which helps a lot.
    The lengths an artist will go too,...this made me laugh 
    SummerRenoirPaulB
  • good ad vice but I have a hepa filter on the vacuum and a long hose so the exhaust is in a different room. If you have one of those carpet washer vacuums you can just leave it running for an hour or so eventually the bulk of the dust will end up in the water of the washer. If you have central heating and A/C, change the filters twice as often as recommended and switch to the High Efficiency type.
    Renoir
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 2
    Thanks @alsart, @PaulB, and @BOB73 ; You have come to the rescue and it has calmed me down a lot.  I will make a list of your suggestions and follow through implementing them straight away. Life sure has been getting in the way of mine lately.  Good suggestions, by the way.  Summer

1.  Costco Thera Pure
    2.  HEPA filter on the vacuum plus a long hose with exhaust in another room.
    3.  Carpet washer vacuum run 1 hr., most dust ends up in water.
    4.  Cooler: change filters to high efficiency and more often.
    5.  We have insect-proof screening on all windows.  I think microscopic ones still get through.
    6.  Don't generate dust with a wet painting in the room.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    @Summer, there is possible a better suggestion: paint quickly, and put the painting away when you're done.  We need @Richard_P to comment on this, I think he puts his paintings to dry in a pizza box or equivalent.

Another thought is that I want the dust immobile and accumulating on a surface.  That's the better option than having it all wafting around.
    Summer
  • @PaulB You've just got me thinking that after each session, I could put the painting in my covered drying rack with the other paintings that have been in there for a long time.  I haven't thought of that before, but I think it will work.  Summer
  • I have my paintings that are drying stacked with quarters to keep them apart and a plastic cover over to keep dust off - the small wood panels fit in between to canvas panels with air holes in  - not ideal but it works - when I finally move (a month) I fully aim to get set up "properly" & with a drying rack

Summer
  • PaulB said:
    @Summer, there is possible a better suggestion: paint quickly, and put the painting away when you're done.  We need @Richard_P to comment on this, I think he puts his paintings to dry in a pizza box or equivalent.

Another thought is that I want the dust immobile and accumulating on a surface.  That's the better option than having it all wafting around.
    Yes I made a cardboard box out of large sheets of corrugated cardboard which works well.
    Summer