Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Color Card Creations (part 2 of 2)

Part 2 of 'Color Card Creations'

After my first 2 attempts of mixing my newly-purchased Geneva Paints, I decided to make the last batch of Color Cards to be my best and to NOT make any mistakes with wrong colors or mixes.  I think I did ok this time.

I will save all of my Color Cards and use them for future reference....and hopefully, I've learned something along the way about color mixing.

I've also picked up many color swatches from the local hardware store....sprayed a gloss finish on them...and have practiced and practiced to match any of the colors.  I did ok at first, but I feel my lessons-learned from doing the color cards will help me to be better at color matching.

Maybe this should be a lesson taught on 'DrawMixPaint'?

These Color Cards have a designed template format that I will label onto the border tape after the paints dry.

My efforts to match color with the color swatches...

For me....it was helpful to quickly grab the correct tube of color after I labeled them.

I think my studying is done for now and I have a pretty good supply of color references.

Has anyone done this before?
dencalSummertassieguyArtistMartin1

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited March 30
    Shobe

WOW! What an outstanding effort. Well done that man.

Um err... I did one color wheel for the restricted palette Mark recommends.

Previously, two guys have done the Full Monty color cards. Gary and Kingston (Kingston has removed himself and his posts from the Forum).

Here is a link to Gary’s color cards 
    http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/397/using-paint-chips

Denis

alsartSummerShobe
  • dencal said:
    Shove

WOW! What an outstanding effort. Well done that man.

Um err... I did one color wheel for the restricted palette Mark recommends.

Previously, two guys have done the Full Monty color cards. Gary and Kingston (Kingston has removed himself and his posts from the Forum).

Here is a link to Gary’s color cards 
    http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/397/using-paint-chips

Denis

Thank you Denise!  And I will follow up on the link you offered, so thanks again!
  • @Shobe, That is a lot of work !  Mark has videos that show how to match any colour.I think I would rather learn mixing whilst I am actually painting. Well done for your perseverance, I think you probably learned a lot :)

BOB73Shobe
  • Well done, man. That IS a lot of work. Thanks for sharing that with us and Thanks also both for the tip about learning about light for photography and the idea for getting paint swatches from the paint store to practice mixing colors. Capital Idea.
    Shobe
  • Paint swatches - great idea @Shobe
    Shobe
  • Great work!  I know Richard Schmid swears by them - I get so bored and have many unfinished charts - your work is impressive!!!
    Shobe
  • @BOB73  thank you Bob!  Yes it was a lot of work and much more than I thought I was getting myself into!  ;)
    BOB73
  • @Shobe My godness! Such a scientific spirit. When the time permits, It would be interesting to try. But I am curious - when you decide to refer back to one of the color you mixed, do you remember how you mixed them? It is the first time I saw this type of stupendous work, I might have asked a stupid question without any knowledge about it. But I am curious to understand! 
  • Jiashen...thank you!  And it's not a stupid question about remembering the formula for each mix.  I still need to 'label' the cards with the pre-designed template formulas.  Of the 10 cards, 8 of them are the same where each box represents the same combination as the other cards.  (1:1, 1:2, etc.).  The paints are still wet as of now, so I can't place the palm of my hand on the cards where need to write on them.  I plan to do it though so I won't forget and perhaps I will republish the final results with a quality photo of each card that can be printed or referenced online.  It was a lot of work, so I hope to still find a future purpose for the cards as a reference.  However, I also feel that it was more about the journey than the destination!  Thanks again!
  • @Shobe This is already so very generous of you by thinking to publish the final result for reference. I see - with this great journey you actually have ‘saved’ a lot energy for future when it comes to color mixing. Just like Mark teaches to pre-mix color steps on the pallette, you did all work at once. So impressed! Thanks again for sharing.
    Shobe