Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Figure Study

edited March 2018 in Post Your Paintings
Here's a recent painting from a photo I made of the model. The dramatic lighting is from a single source positioned low and to the left of the frame. I'm struggling with the shadow edges of the forms and wonder whether to keep working on this piece or move on to another. I have dozens of photos from this series and love starting new pictures. Please let me know what you think!

30" x 45" oil paint (Geneva) on oil primed linen

tassieguydencalmahdiWIKENRenoiranwesha

Comments

• Its actually quite good.  If you were going to do it again I would include the feet and ground.  But regardless, a good job.

mlr4948
  • mir4948

Nice work. Beautiful figure study.

Learn from this one and move on.

General edge management for a depth impact is sharp at the front, esp focus area. Soft edges through the middle distance and even softer and lost edges towards the background.

I like how you use the cooler temperature here, even if a tad over the top.

Resist the temptation to outline arms and legs in dark line. This flattens the form.  Suggest rounding the form with darker or lighter half tones, progressively towards the selected edge. Reveal the edge by slight, dark or lighter value variation with the underlying body part .

Denis

mlr4948
  • It looks good no doubt. Some areas have hard lined. That needs to be looked at. If you can post a source photo then we can make a better judgement. Upper body and left leg, arms all are good pictorially.
    mlr4948
  • Could you soften the line around the limbs with another “ line” of paint lighter in value than the darkest one ?  Nice one !
    mlr4948
  • Kaustav said:
    It looks good no doubt. Some areas have hard lined. That needs to be looked at. If you can post a source photo then we can make a better judgement. Upper body and left leg, arms all are good pictorially.
    Thanks for your comments Kaustav. I've posted the source and now even I can see the transitions at the edges are too abrupt. The hard edges are much more apparent in the .jpg reduced to such a small percentage of the actual painting.
  • dencal said:
    mir4948

Learn from this one and move on.

Denis

Agreed. I'm hesitant to try to fix this painting now dry to the touch by oiling in and softening the edges. I may soften too much and lose the drawing. I'm going to move on to another pose and take all your keen observation into another painting. Thanks for your thoughtful critique, Denis.
  • Very nicely done, hard edges and all. Hope she doesn't catch a cold.
  • Now that I see the photo, I kind of what to see the ground in there.  But like Denis said, move on and paint another one.