Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Clove oil on my palette

I just bought a new hand held palette made of maple and the instructions say not to use clove oil on the palette. There is no more information other than that statement. Does anyone know why that would be unadvisable? I can't find much info on why that would be. Any information would be appreciated

Comments

• I would call the manufacturer and ask.
  • edited March 18
    Too much clove oil in your oil paint will change the quality and results dramatically and may cause problems with your finish in the end, is basically what the conservators are observing in this new and latest info on the use of clove oil in oil painting. The amount necessary for a wooden palette would be too much for your oil paints and the scent would be too strong for comfort. Linseed oil is most recommended and lots of it, I have a birch ply palette but not pleased, prefer acrylic/plexy-glass.
    PaulBWishiwaspainting
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 19
    I just bought a new hand held palette made of maple and the instructions say not to use clove oil on the palette. There is no more information other than that statement. Does anyone know why that would be unadvisable?
    When taking a short break from painting, some artists cover their glass palettes with firm plastic covers.  Under the covers, they also place cotton balls near the colors that are quick driers with a drop or two of clove oil in each one to keep those colors moist.  I can see how this would destroy the wooden maple surface in time.  Summer
    marieb