Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Do I need the exact brushes from the supply list to get started?

I don't have any filbert brushes in my art collection. All I have is the Winsor and Newton Monarch round and flat brushes. Is it OK to use them instead or add the ones to my art supplies?

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited March 28
    @lavenderrose17 ; Ooh!  I feel your pain, but I won't tell!  The Monarch round would be good enough for me to begin with.  Sometimes it truly is the artist's ability and not the brush.  Helen van Wyk said: "If you know what you are doing, you can paint with a broom."   Hmm.  Summer
  • As long as you like the effect you are getting, use what you have. For me, sometimes the rounds hold too much paint for the spot I want to paint. The benefit of the filbert is they are a little easier to control;; meaning that as you apply pressure to paint a swath, the edges don't splay wider than your intended swath like a flat might do. In reality it's what ever suits you.
  • Flats will become filberts when used for awhile. 
  • edited March 20
    Thank you for the advice guys! I ended up buying some of the filberts last Sunday :) Now I can get started.
  • Brushes are largely a personal preference. I am pretty new to Filbert brushes, but you can certainly get a similar effect with a round brush. You can start with cheap brushes and upgrade to better ones as time goes on and skills improve. Keep an eye out for deals at second hand stores, local classifieds, and sales.
  • Good that you got filberts. They provide multiple mark making advantages. Main thing is the soft rounded edges. People may disagree but they are like all purpose brushes. You can produce flat marks, scumble, blend, dry brush with the advantage of having softer rounded edges. Use the sides to produce longish lines or thicker round brush like marks. Get the long bristle ones. You can also use the sides with a very loose grip to produce irregular marks for foliage.

Your flats will become like filberts later. Flats can be used to pull an edge like bricks, walls and cover large areas (fliberts can do this too).
    Thicker rounds can be used for scrubbing brushmarks to cover areas loosely. Smaller bristle rounds for details like long lines of thin trees and minute detailed spots etc.
    Forgiveness
  • edited April 1
    Kaustav said:
    Good that you got filberts. They provide multiple mark making advantages. Main thing is the soft rounded edges. People may disagree but they are like all purpose brushes. You can produce flat marks, scumble, blend, dry brush with the advantage of having softer rounded edges. Use the sides to produce longish lines or thicker round brush like marks. Get the long bristle ones. You can also use the sides with a very loose grip to produce irregular marks for foliage.

Your flats will become like filberts later. Flats can be used to pull an edge like bricks, walls and cover large areas (fliberts can do this too).
    Thicker rounds can be used for scrubbing brushmarks to cover areas loosely. Smaller bristle rounds for details like long lines of thin trees and minute detailed spot
  • edited April 2
    Thank you for all of your advice! It will help me get comfortable in going through the process creatively.