Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

brush dip as cleaner?

So I am loving my paints, only problem I am running into is using SO many brushes... I went about 3 days before I just had to clean them because I was running thin. I am wondering if the brush dip works as an "at desk cleaner" like something I can clean off and use right there at my painting. I used to use linseed oil for this with my other paints, I am sure I could with these too, but since Im fresh out of linseed oil anyway, I was thinking of getting the brush dip as a two-fer. Cleaning brushes on the go & for the intended use of keeping the brushes wet. 
Julianna

Comments

• I have about an inch of brush dip in a small jar, and I use it to keep the brushes wet after each session.  This dip in the jar is about six months old, and it's still relatively clear.  I make no attempt to swish the brushes and clean them.

Next session, I wipe off the dip on a paper towel, and a lot of paint comes off.  The brush is not left perfectly clean, but it is much cleaner, judging by what comes off.

I've tried cleaning brushes as I go using brush dip, but I don't bother any more.  It's not ideal, and it dirties up the jar.
    Julianna
  • Yes, I most often use brush dip to clean my brushes as well as keep them soaked. I sometimes hang brushes just above the bottom, in the container for several days, then clean them. Sometimes, rarely do I need a stronger cleaner. Mark C. has a video on this topic, caring for your brushes. If using rags or paper towels, I throw these out immediately for spontaneous combustion, soak in water keep in freezer bag in the freezer.
    Julianna
  • JessicaArt

Greendl kindly posted some images of an oil immersion bath system.

I use walnut and clove as a dip in this type container.
    During a painting session two or three are in use separating darks, lights and any power color brushes.
    A stainless steel scourer at the bottom or mesh grid allows the gentle agitation to remove loose paint.
    Towel off excess paint on entry and excess oil on exit and the brush is clean and good to go.
    I am only a casual / occasional painter but with this system over ten years, I have not had a misshapen or damaged brush.

Denis

• Wow! Awesome! Thanks everyone! Looks like im in the market for some brush dip! Haha 
    Julianna
  • I do exactly as @PaulB suggested.  I think the brush dip is the best invention since the wheel!  :)   Seriously, I don't know what I did without it.  I also have Mark's brush stand holder and love it because it doesn't take up much table space.   
    JessicaArt
  • @BOB73 wow! Now if i had 100 good brushes id be set! Lol i think @Julianna And i have similar distaste for cleaning brushes,  only before genevas paints i would sit my brushes for days in water before i could get to them with some dish soap.  Probably one of the worst things you could do. .. they are a mess!  So my shopping list consists of brush dip and a brush shopping spree!  Haha
    Julianna
  • And think of getting the stand that Mark makes as well - he has a video how to make your own but I'm not wood crafty like that.  Seriously, I wish I had taken a picture of all the brushes stacked - it got to be ridiculous, even for me.  A disclaimer:  Mark does not suggest doing as I did with the brush dip - seriously, some of these had been sitting in dip since before I went on holiday in November 2017 - sure, i'd re-dip occasionally (as in maybe once a month?).  It's also super easy to paint with the dipped brushes, just pick which hue and brush, wipe dip off with paper towel and you're good to go! 
    JessicaArt
  • You can make your own brushdip, Safflower Oil and 2% Clove Oil. Mark C. has a video and earlier threads mention this recipe. I keep mine refridgerated when not in use, lasts forever, same with brushes it appears.
    JuliannaJessicaArt
  • Not much help with oil paints but when I used acrylic or latex I always had good luck with ammonia and hot water for gummy brushes. For oil based paints, varnish and shellac I used everything from aviation gas to methylene chloride and methyl-ethyl-ketone. Not a good mix for growing old healthy. Nowadays we have these wonderful citrus based cleaners that many artists swear by. The whole question is mute and safe when you switch to painting with dirty brushes and adopt brush-dip as a daily ablution.
  • Brush dip - I have had the brush dip in my house for months and not used it until this morning, I tried it on a few of my regular small brushes and a rare large one and I will store the brush away in tin foil - it also cleaned a palate in no time at all - thumbs up from  me for the carder brush dip, here was I thinking it was a gimmick!

JessicaArt
  • Be careful with the foil. it will be ok as long as it is wet but the foil crammed tightly around the bristles will disfigure the brush as it dries.
    JessicaArt
  • I will see how it fairs in a few weeks @BOB73
  • got it in the mail the other day! have some brushes soaking in it now! :)