Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

First Draw Mix Paint painting

edited March 15 in Post Your Paintings
As I said in my hello-introduction, This is my second painting and my first DMP painting.  my "studio" is challenging with a very low ceiling resulting in difficulty getting my color checker to work well.  I can see that the lids on both the jar and thermos are incorrect perspectivewise, looking too tilted towards viewer.  I only paint on the weekends so parts of the painting are very dry and other areas wetter, but I'd like feedback now, keeping in mind some of the dark areas are artificially grayer due to being dry (I hope).   Also this is my UGLY painting NO blending, 3 number 2 filbert brushes and the 5 suggested colors (home-made version), painted from life.  First photo is my attempt to adjust light/dark and color to match what the painting looks like, Second photo is just the painting photographed on sunny morning no changes made to photo on computer.  the real painting lies somewhere between the two. 
FlattyDaturaElizamahdiKschabenToddaustonArtistMartin1

Comments

• Wonderful job. the silver is spectacular. I think you need to darken the shadows under the silver and the shaded areas a little more like under you did under around the mason jar. You could even go darker on the glass of the jug. Darkening all shadows is something you can attempt and not worry because you can scrape off if it is too dark. Darkening the shadows even on the flower stalks and drapery will give it much more depth. This exciting and to think you did this laying on your tummy?
    uh_clemdencal
  • edited March 14
    @BOB73  thank you for the feedback, that's a great idea I can easily go in and darken shadows.  And of course I didn't paint it on my tummy, I painted it in Full Lotus Position.

BOB73BoudiccaRenoir
  • If you have painted from life then hats off to you! If I ignore the silver and all the other foreground objects then I would tell you to get a cleaner brush and blend the edges of drapery so that the objects in front come out or find the colors of the edges and put those there (this is difficult though).
    uh_clem
  • @Kaustav it is from life, I decided that's how I'm gonna paint.  I was doing as suggested and stuck to an ugly painting plan, with no blending, but you think maybe I should blend the background green drapery to bring out the foreground?
  • You can blend or find the colors of the edges in the drapery.
  • @Kaustav oh I see what you are saying, yes I think I could match colors on edges of folds in drapery and paint them in, I think it's too late for blending quite a bit of the painting is already dry.  thank you 
  • Somewhat odd for me to comment on my own painting I know,,, but there you have it.  The photo doesn't actually look anything like the painting.  I took it outside had a 1/40 exposure time, f=5.6, iso=100,  but the painting is Way darker than the photo.  So I might try to retake the photo, maybe not outside, in any case just wanted to say the actual painting is significantly darker looking IRL.  although I think the over-exposed picture has resulted in helpful suggestions anyway. 

• @uh_clem
    I still struggle with taking pictures of my paintings! I have tried all the tips that I have come across--outside with the white shirt, etc.  I love your painting!
  • Great first DMP painting @uh_clem! My favorite parts are the lighting on the handle of the teapot, as well as the stalks of wheat that are laying on the table. I would second the comments about the background drapes. I did the same thing on my first DMP, and wished that I had blended it (or put in more medium values) to give it more depth. You picked a very busy still life for your first, a lot of different objects to tackle, so more power to you :)
    uh_clem
  • You have to process the photo using contrast, brightness and color adjustments and find out what is the general brightness that would appear on the other computers and cell phone. Otherwise the dark and will look like higher value colors and whites will be overblown. But direct sunlight is the best.
    uh_clem
  • For a first DMP I think you've done a very fine job here, @uh_clem.  You could do a little blending if you wanted but I think the painting works as it is. Well done!  :)
  • Actually a pretty good first painting.  I think the weakest part is the lack of transitional tones in the fabric.  It seems like you are skipping some of them which is making the fabric look awkward. I think you could go back in and add them.
    uh_clemmarieb
  • Great values and colors:)
  • @uh_clem, great painting. Are you using a slow dry medium ?  You can "oil out" the dry bits of the drapes and mix another step somewhere between the dark shadow and the highlight of the fabric and paint it along where they meet. You just need to match the values. The silver is great...well done :)
  • @marieb, I followed the recipe for the slow drying paint.  Today I went back in to try to fix the drapery and put more oil in the paint, I noticed the burnt umber was really thick which then was having a negative impact on the whole painting.  In that when I added more oil (I had some clove and lilac laying about) the paint was way nicer to work with than it had been for the whole painting, apparently I could have used a little bit runnier paint the whole time. 

• edited March 17
    In some fields high "inter-rater reliability" is considered an indication of higher validity.  Well as you can all see you all have very high inter-rater reliability, pretty much everyone said I need to blend or get more steps between the steps in the folds.  Thank you for the feedback. I tried to do this and found out several problems that may have resulted in the poor drapery to begin with.  When I try to match the colors on the drapery the studio lights create a glare so I shift till the glare is gone but then get a different value, then to add to my trouble I have glare on the top of my painting (more so than lower down).  I did what I could but my studio needs reworking.  I also inadvertently found out that the very thick burnt umber was resulting in my mixed paints not flowing on very well, so with the addition of more oil the paint flowed better and I think covered the canvas better.  As you can probably see the canvas is showing underneath the paint  in numerous sections making that area look lighter.  So I have discovered an important principle on my first painting, runnier paint actually covers better than thicker paint.  I also discovered that it is helpful to see the actual painting you are working on so glare on the top of a painting is very bad.  It's like I don't see the actual painting till I take it outside to photograph.    Thank You all for the help.    PS there is a bare spot down by the teapot leg,  it is now fixed I was adding some shadow as @BOB73 ; suggested and dropped a blob, so this photo is prior to post blob-dropping repair. 
  • Beautiful work! Love your composition
  • Great improvements, well done! :)
  • Really good. If this is your first DMP painting those to come are going to be amazing!! :)
    BOB73