Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What type of lens do I need?

My camera is a Olympus OM-D Mark 10 II.

I need a lens that will take a life size full length portrait that will be used for a reference photo for an oil painting.

I’m having trouble understanding lenses. The photo has to be clear and sharp. I have an Olympus Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 IIR MSC.

I also just purchased an Olympus Digital 45 mm 1:1.8 and it also has 0.5/1.64ft -~ It’s a Portrait lens  called Prime and doesn’t move. It works OK for above the waist and the photo is clear enough to do a painting with a life-size face.

I understand to avoid wide angles because they would force me to move too close to the subject and will cause distortions. Telephoto lenses would be more useful.

I will be using a tripod and I will be using camera raw. Also, I understand I need to be eye level and at least 15 feet back. I understand at life-size, I will have a foreshortening problem that Photoshop could correct.  

What is the best lens for me?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited March 14
    rvanpelt

Save yourself some cash. Use the lenses you own. Take a waist to head shot,then a waist to floor shot, using your tripod platform elevator. Then stitch together in photoshop.

Build a high resolution, pin sharp, mosaic of any image.

Denis

mariebSummer
  • As best I can advise is your camera is a Micro Four Thirds Crop Factor? So multiplying your lens by 2
    So 45mm becomes 90mm full frame equevlent.
    Around 50mm full frame and up is good.
    50mm 52mm is closest to the human eye
    ..so maybe the OLYMPUS 25mm f1.8 would be a good portrait lens

Or just zoom your lens in to 25mm, that would do for the time being

That's just my thinking :)