Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hello currently working on first DMP painting.

edited March 13 in Introduce Yourself
Hello.  I have little to no experience painting, I used some of my wife's oil paints probably about 10 years ago and painted a still life.  I did take a drawing class in college aproximately 40 years ago.  Then last fall (2017) I set up a little studio in the old "coal room" in our basement.  Low ceiling and very small with an actual coal chute.  I started one still life using a book on oil painting I got for christmas a couple years back.  Part way through the painting I came across Mark's videos and then after finishing this first painting, started trying to build a shadow box, paint some walls black etc.  I ran into a lot of difficulty following the DMP method mainly due to my very low ceilings, but it still seemed worthwhile.  I have nearly finished my first DMP painting, and learned quite a bit from the experience.  Now I'll wrap that first painting up and then try to figure out how to set up studio with low ceiling so that the light matches the light in the shadow box without casting light in the shadowbox and doesn't create a glare on my color matcher.  A worthy puzzle.  Looking forward to being a part of this, and getting advice on becoming a "painter."

Comments

• Hi, @uh_clem .  Welcome to the forum.  :)
    uh_clem
  • Welcome @uh_clem how low is your ceiling?
  • @BOB73 thanks for asking, it's 78 inches, to make it worse prior to knowing what I was doing I put track lighting in with little spotlights,  I put them on a dimmer and they are 5000K lights but not so good for just lighting the room.  so I have 2 track lights on between me and the painting angled off to the side to create light but not light up shadowbox or cause too much glare.  Then I have a 5000K light outside of room in one of those cheap clamp lights with parabolic silver colored reflecter shining into room to create enough light so that room passes the "white equality test."  biggest problem was glare and shadow so I would shift around in my seat to get rid of glare and I'd get into a shadow so I'd make too light of color on color checker, or I'd stay out of glare and shadow but would be twisted so perspective of still life completely changed.  serveral points on painting can't actually exist because I'm painting them from different angles.   the odd thing was the glare-- shadow seemed to change as time passed, I think what happened is that it just took very small fluctuations in how I sat to alter the lighting on my color checker dramatically.

• Keep experimenting with the placement of the lights but try to keep your painting position including easel, palette and chair static. A smaller light with dimmer within the shadow box and an "awning" to shade from room light might help too. I hope you find a solution because the alternative is to take up Yoga and paint sitting on the floor.
    uh_clem
  • Yoga is not only the funny answer I actually considered how I could lower everything, easel, shadow box etc, so it seemed I had a higher ceiling,  I envisioned myself painting sitting on a flattish pillow, I think that would get old real fast, but I am going to cut the legs shorter on my shadow box.

• You could also excavate a painting position and leave your shadow box on the floor. But you will still have to learn Yoga to recuperate from all that digging.
    uh_clem