Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How can I store my mixed paint?

DaturaDatura -
edited March 10 in Studio & Supplies
Hi, I would like to ask you, how do you store your premixed paint?
I don't have Geneva paints. I have bought some medium, which has sunflower oil, stand oil, mineral spirit and aldehyde resin in it, and should slow down drying time, but not as significantly as Mark's medium, so I am afraid that my premixed paint could dry on a palette before i start painting. Can I put my premixed paint into 10ml plastic jars and store it in a cold place? 

Comments

• Datura

Sure you can. I store stock tube color with SDM in 75ml and 35 ml airtight containers. Good for a couple of years. Air displaced with glass marbles.
    My premixed values are held in 10 ml snap caps. Lasts about six weeks. Use leftovers for toning next canvas.

Denis

DaturaBobitaly
  • @Dencal, thanks a lot for your valuable advice!
    I admire your organizational skills:) This looks great:D

dencal
  • I took out my oil paints two weeks ago that I haven’t used in 18 months.they are mixed with SDM and stored in screw top jars. The paint was a bit thick but I just added more Slow Dry Medium, stirred them and I was good to go.
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited March 13
    Clove oil helps slow down drying time too. I don't know about aldehydes. add it to the paint or apply a few drops to a piece of cloth attached to underside of jar lid. Jar lids have to be air-tight. Watch out for condensation if you store in a refrigerator. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 16
    Just thought I'd mention something I came across recently if you are using thicker paints, and are letting your palette colors build up on the palette along the edge over time.  A plastic wrap laid gently atop all the colors works well at keeping them moist but only if you gently press out the air bubbles/oxygen in between the colors.  Only takes a minute or two.
    Renoir