Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How to remember where to place each colour

Hi everyone, love Mark and his method but am getting stuck one problem.

I lay out my colours on the palette. Usually about 4 to 6 colour groups and maybe 5 to 7 colour piles for each group as you move through dark to light value.

However, I come to start painting and can't remember where each individual pile goes, particularly for skin tones.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Martin. (From Melbourne, living in London.)

• edited February 28
    Write on your palette with a grease pencil? It should wipe off when you clean up (definitely will wipe off a glass palette). You'd just have to be careful not to mix it into your paint, or you could get a white and a black and use both.

I'll be in Melbourne the week after next! Never been before - I hear it's beautiful.
  • i used to also find that problem but I don't ever try to do that many colour groups at a time now Martin. 
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I place a strip of blue painters tape across my pallette and use a sharpie to name each object or space for which those colors belong. Easily removed when finished. 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited March 2
    In the beginning, I often got lost when the values in the steps began to form a skin and look too much alike.  So now I use both systems to keep from getting lost while I'm painting: I number on masking tape right on the palette and number the snap cap tubs if I'm using them. 
  •  I just paint from the steps on the palette and adjust tone, colour eats to the side, which leaves a huge mess that needs to be wiped off regularly. It also  means when I want to pickup some more of the just mixed paint, I can't find it ! I have started using two palettes one for steps and one for mixing .Might need to organise better !