Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How to address fine detail- if at all...

Hi everyone! This is my first painting using Geneva Paints/Carders Method, and I am wondering something...
I am wondering how to address the fine detail of the fur-> under the eye and that swirl of fur in the top left. I know in Mark's painting demo of the horse head he said you didn't need to, but this is considerably closer zoomed in... so should I address it? If so how? Here is the original photo. It is a photo by Karen Brommelsick (p.s. I haven't added the eyelashes or spots yet either) 

Forgiveness

Comments

• I think it is beautiful - many people use riggers for fine hairs/ lines - they also usually dilute the paint so it is the consistency of ink to get it really fine.
    JessicaArt
  • Thanks! Oh okay! do you know if I can dillute geneva paints with linseed oil? 

• I don't think linseed will help you get to an ink consistency - genevas are pretty fluid - I never add linseed to my genevas.  Perhaps others can offer their input - I'm not a fine detail person, I have just watched plenty of videos. 
    PaulB
  • Perhaps practice on a piece of paper - i'd start with a little paint on a brush, try to paint "hairs" with various techniques - fine touch - barely touching canvas is probably going to work?
  • edited February 28
    I really enjoy using W&N Artist's Painting Medium, often used, a widely recommend one, for glazing techniques, great for detail work. Slows drying, suitable for fine detail, leaves no brush marks. Dries to a flexible film with good yellowing resistance. and inexpensive. You may also want to try with a fan brush, and fine rigger for the single hairs. If your paint is still wet, you use/incorporate the pushing and pulling of paint into it to help you along the way.

• I suggest taking Geneva paint and diluting with Turpentine.  Practise first with a tiny brush, making long smooth strokes using just the tip of the brush.

Adding turpentine of course ruins the beautiful non-toxic nature of Geneva paint, although temporarily.  Linseed oil doesn't do much for the kind of low-viscosity flow you need.

I wouldn't use a rigger for the hairs, it's too large.
  • Also don't try and paint every little hair, just make a few suggestions.  less is more in this case.  The human eye will fill in the rest.

JessicaArt
  • Yowzers, that's looking good Jessica! :open_mouth:
    JuliannaJessicaArt
  • holy cow!!!!!!!!!!   that is perfect!!!  what did you do??? I agree with @JeffAllen ; there is a strong urge to over-do it - this is excellent!!!
    JessicaArt
  • edited March 1
     You have the knack of it alright! When my paint is too wet as you say, I let dry 24 hours most often does it, before moving forward, for fear of over doing things and the dear cost of that. I may decide to just let it go as is because it looks so good, rather than risk anything further. It also helps to sleep on it, come back refreshed next day, with a fresh perspective.
    JessicaArt
  • edited March 1
    Thanks @Richard_P! @Julianna i used a mix of different brushes... a little bit with a tiny fan brush, but most with an old tattered bristle brush! For the lashes i used a detail angled brush and my trusty budget maulstick (a cheap curtain rod that i bent at the end haha) @Forgiveness well that should work out perfect because I dont think i'll have time to paint at all tomorrow...(sad face) i hate when life gets in the way of art...especially whe  im so excited about these paints and the "new to me" process!
    Forgiveness