Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Mixing too little...

Hi everyone! Used my Geneva paints for the first time today and I was blown away! I had a question about mixing though... So I am used to mixing with a pallet knife MUCH thicker paints. When I am mixing these I end up with very thing splotches of color on my pallet... so much so that I worry they will dry up very quickly. I keep trying to do that "swirl" technique that Mark does, but I still dont end up with piles of paint, rather these splotches. They also take up a lot of space on my pallet. Any tips?

Comments

• JessicaArt

Suggest you persist with perfecting the “swirl” technique.
    Use another palette to transfer mixed values. In effect you have a mixing palette and a painting palette.
    You could use a saucer or small bowl for mixing.
    What about trying one of those mixing trays with lots of partitioned sections to contain the pigment.

I mix on a glass palette and transfer to small snap cap containers. Often a mixing day may be several days earlier than a painting day, so l need to keep the mixed values fresh.

Denis

JessicaArt
  • Oh! Thats a great idea with the little mixing trays. I have a ton of those! Thanks! I'll keep trying at the "swirl"
  • JessicaArt

If using a mixing tray you will need a small silicone spatula to get all the paint out.

Denis

JessicaArt
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Palette knife mixing with Geneva doesn't end well for me, I make an enormous mess.  I find it quicker to mix that way, but only if I am making a large quantity.  Most of the time I'm only mixing a couple of brushloads.
    JessicaArt
  • The use of snap caps will also further extend the life of your paint much longer, unless you have a cover for your tray.
    JessicaArt