Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Framing

edited February 26 in General Discussion
I am going for framing of some of my paintings and would really appreciate any tips on framing.

Do you feel wooden frames go better or do sleek metal frames with matting on the inside?

How do you relate frame thickness and art work size?

Any designs that you feel ALMOST go with everything and can be used for a whole collection?

Seeing photos of your framed artwork as an example will be a treat for sure.

Here are some framers I have come across:
www.framedestination.com
www.americanframe.com
Michael's 
The great frame up 
If you know some good ones please let me know.

Thanks
Anwesha
fdi1001

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    @anwesha, that URL should read www.americanframe.com (singluar).  The plural points to a domain park.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    @Flatty, I have framed nothing, so I don't know, but what do you get from americanframe.com, is it an empty glued rectangle, or a bag of pieces the right length?

Do you have any control over the size of that lip that covers up a small part of the painting?  All the frame dimensions ignore that part.
    anwesha
  • I know framing is quite expensive but if you can, go with real wood.  Even a small painting looks good with a wide width frame in my opinion.  @PaulB, I don't think you have any control over that lip.  When you order online, always give the exact size of the canvas or board.  The one I've used also lets you bring up a picture of your painting from your files to try different frames around it.  I need to look up the exact name and get back.
    anwesha
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Flatty said:
    All frames have detailed dimensions. 
    They do, except the size of that lip, the part that covers the front of the painting.
  • If i could have any frame it would be one of these guys... amazing quality. 
    http://www.thebatican.com/shop/
    anwesha
  • @JeffAllen is was it $30 for them to mount it as well? Or did you do it yourself?
  • Mounting was $5.00 of the $30.  So $25 for frame and $5.00 for mounting.  Normally I would have just mounted it myself, but my wife took it there.  Mounting a canvas in a frame is pretty easy.  You just pop the picture in the frame and screw offset brackets to the frame.  Then you attach your wire for hanging.  It is about a 10 minute job with only a screwdriver required.  The wire, offset brackets and are a few bucks, so you don't save much by doing it yourself.  Another option is if you go to yard sales, sometimes you can find old pictures with frames or frames by themselves.  If you paint standard sizes you might get lucky and pick up a cheap frame.  I typically paint 18x24 or 24 x 36 so its fairly easy and I'm kind of lazy when it comes to building canvases even though I know how to do it.

• @anwesha , your paintings that are of an "old world" flavor deserve nice wood frames. the girl with the bike might look ok with a metal frame but would look better (worth more) with wood. Don't forget to ask people if they want to buy it framed, you should include that in the cost. Many artists use nicer frames for display purposes but don't offer the frame in the sale. Remind them to pick out a frame that suits the painting as well as their décor and lighting.
    anwesha
  • I set up an account at American frame, but cannot find the option to upload my image. Also, I found very few wide frames that I think are appropriate for oil paintings. I am getting frustrated.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Freeman said:
    I set up an account at American frame, but cannot find the option to upload my image. Also, I found very few wide frames that I think are appropriate for oil paintings. I am getting frustrated.
    American Frame has a number you can call for help.

I found more frame options in my local framing store than I saw online.  They also have catalogs of frame styles they can order, more than can be displayed in the store.
  • @PaulB thanks. I did find that upload function at pictureframes.com. Some pretty good ones. I would prefer to work local if I can.