Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What Do You Enjoy Listening To While You Paint - for Health, Healing, Wellbeing

edited February 25 in Off-Topic Discussion
I have recently discovered "Hemi-Sync The Monroe Institute Metamusic". I enjoy listening to these while I paint for the therapeutic benefits, relaxation and heightened creativity, concentration, creative flow, and when my feelings become tired and dull, in need of that xtra spark to keep me going, and so much more including real restful sleep if you can imagine and for healing purposes (physical and other)! I listen with quality headphones and earbuds (most popular), both are noise cancelling quality. I found this makes a world of difference. Many of these CD's run 20:00mins., 30:00mins., 45:00 and 1hr. Comments and feedback and questions and tomatoes(LOL) are most welcome, thank you.
Ronna

Comments

• edited February 25
    On the same note as above , I also discovered "Brain-Sync and Kelly Howell Metamusic", and I highly recommend a CD named "Sound Healing" that I've been listening to on a regular basis for approximately 3 years now with no one's knowledge until now. All of my doctors report above average good health all around, I found this one in particular very good when I am ill or off base and for colds and flu. I most often listen to this one while I sleep at night on a regular basis and found my recovery to be rapid and very powerful. I firmly believe this assisted me to recover from a serious back injury I experienced a long time ago that gave me years of serious problems, today I have absolutely no symptoms for the past year, a little more. Even though my doctors don't know of my private practice, they are impressed with my state of health and speedy and sound recovery (no pun intended). My very good dentist of 10 years can't understand the very good health in my mouth, he thinks this is impossible and impressed beyond measure. I understand that these recordings by Kelly Howell and Monroe institute have an average 95% success rate for those who listen to these on a regular basis, this is impressive! Also just me, but I don't enjoy or benefit from their only few subliminal messages recordings only because of previous trainings I have had that are quite adequate in this area. When life gets to be too much for me, these are absolutely fantastic, in my opinion and in my entire experience as whole. I believe there is something to be had in "whole brain thinking", if you haven't experience this. Also slows aging process dramatically no kidding! 95% success rate on average!
    Ronna
  • I also further found "Dr. Jeffrey Thompson" sleeping aids to be of exceptional benefit.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited February 25
    Forgiveness

For my sins I have been appointed as the music director at my local art gallery, drawing group.

i have a couple of JVC Boom2 Ultimate Ears WiFi speakers and my choice of chill Spanish acoustic guitar draws compliments from models and drawing students for being perfect drawing music. Great for painting too.

My current fav album is:

The first track Dreaming of Summer is top of my pick list.

Relaxing Guitar by Yellow Brick Cinema
    https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/relaxing-guitar/1192230646

Denis
    ForgivenessRenoirRonna
  • I like to listen to nature sounds with music videos on YouTube. 
    Forgiveness
  • @Forgiveness, calling from afar, our music would be exotic to you. I like to listen to egyptian tunes of the 30's, 40's and 50's of the last century. examples:

ForgivenessKaustav
  • edited February 27

Thank you @khaled, these are awesome and indeed exotic to me, more than you may know. These examples are right up my alley for listening pleasure. I also enjoy Hamza El Din from Nubia as I have his entire CD collection for many years now, and Djivan Gasparyan, much flute music from masters in India, Turkish Instrumentals, Japanese Shakuhachi Flute music and Zen, Tibetan Sound Bowls, I love the sounds of Ney Flute such as Sadreddin Ozcimi as one example, and some Sufi music such as whirling dervishes, and occasionally chanting. My favorite musical instruments to play were variety of wooden and bamboo flutes which I made myself, tambourines and shakers and carry finger cymbals with me. I still have my concert flute and one Chinese bamboo flute, tambourine, shakers and finger cymbals but no safe place to play or practice (for so long now it seems but l still have the fire within me as bright as ever), but may use in a still life painting sometime in near future later this year. But unfortunately I have been discouraged in my home and in my hometown, for strictly Canadian, the end. So now I enjoy oil painting and listening as privately as possible, this method of painting and fellowship which I have been enjoying here I have not found in Canada and lived a whole life near poverty entirely. Much encouraged to paint!                                        Edited; addition

khaledRenoir
  • @Forgiveness I used to live in more metropolitan areas, NYC, Chicago, but 11 years ago just before giving birth to my twins, we moved to rural Wisconsin. In many respects this area is much like Canada so not so much music and art culture. I agree, having online fellowship is so very encouraging.
    Interestingly, i have found some artists in our area who have sold their work world wide, so I am grateful for that. But mostly I am very grateful for this site :-)
    ForgivenessPaulBBOB73
  • edited February 26
    My gratitude continues to grow here everyday, I love painting in realism! It really works well for me.
    Renoir
  • Podcasts.  There are a whole bunch of public radio podcasts that are fascinating.  They seem to exercise different parts of my brain and don't seem to interefere with the thinking I need to do to mix colors or paint.
    ForgivenessRonna
  • Thanks @movealonghome, love them both, I'll stay in touch with for certain! She is really something special! Some of the most beautiful Celtic music I've ever heard!
  • I listen to TED talks whilst painting. Amazing what you can learn ! 
    I also like listening to Andrea Boccelli. His voice is very soothing.  
    ForgivenessRenoir
  • It's usually some random playlist from my collection, which tends towards noisy, or dead silence if I really need to concentrate.

Sometimes I use noise generators, and I paint to nighttime jungle sounds, or creaking ship noises etc.
    RenoirForgiveness
  • @PaulB - wow! I didn't know there even was such a thing as creaking ship noises! Now that would really set a mood. 
    I often listen to talk radio. What a dolt, right?

ForgivenessPaulB
  • edited February 26
    thanks @PaulB, ingenious! I too have created noise generators, inspired by everyday noises in a busy downtown core but with consistencies, avoiding surprise attacks that may often startle me otherwise while I paint, sometimes include music mixed in such as groovy modern jazz that goes with these as an xtra for some softening on the sides, if you know what I mean. I sometimes like construction with jackhammers and everything and certain droning sounds from machines, and certain insects ha,ha,ha. I just play these on repeat mode and simply change when I like. I a too have examples of jungle and ships and stormy seas, thunderstorms etc... I also get a real kick in creating these myself. But I don't like barking dogs, sirens and such that may be irritating or distracting. Incredible just how personalized/customized you can create these to be. I also enjoy the sounds of riding a train, airplane flight from take off including sounds of passengers and stewardesses (but they never come to serve me during the flight), Greyhound bus ride, city bus ride, subway train ride. Snow storms and wind storms, snow blizzard.
    PaulBHilary
  • I'll elaborate:  https://mynoise.net/

This site is a set of noise generators built by an audio engineer.

For example, there is a "Primeval Forest" generator, which I like a lot.  It has 10 channels of sound.  One channel is tree frogs.  Another is some kind of cricket.  Wind.  Rain.  Owl.  The noise generator plays all these, and keeps shifting the emphasis subtly between the channels.  The result is very realistic.

Another is just cats purring.  Another is inside an oil tanker, which is low engine throbbing and a bit of clanking and waves.  Another is inside w B-17 bomber, with engine noise and radio transmissions.  Sailboat is another. Fish Tank.  Windmill.  Arctic Wolves.  Gregorian chants.

It's all kinds of different themed ambient sounds, hundreds of them.  I love it.

Or if you like a good thunderstorm: http://www.rainymood.com/
    RonnaForgivenessHilary
  • This is an interesting site to visit. https://www.ambient-mixer.com
    PaulBForgiveness
  • Joe Sample! Great, enjoyable jazz.
    Forgiveness
  • edited February 26
    I also work with a free program available named Audacity (doesn't look like much in appearance), but once you get the hang of it, incredible what you can do in editing, very simple program, very easy to learn and get on with it, amazing multi tracking. Include the use of BBC, Sony Pictures and Valentino Production Sound Effects, copyright free that I have in my library, sounds for every occasion imaginable indoors & outdoors, from any time period you wish, from all corners of the world.
  • edited March 1
    <3 I found music and concerts by Mehdi Aminian & Mohamad Zatari, "Quieter Than Silence" and others similar  on u-t. If you notice the stringed instrument that he plays, I once made one quite similar with Brazilian Rosewood fret board, 3 strings, I carved hardwood bowl for the body, spruce top and all the little details, I purchased violin keys to hold the strings in the head of the instrument. I enjoyed making it and playing very much. In my career period making and playing flutes, I didn't get to the "ney" flute such as what Mehdi Amanian plays here (and I learned to do it on my concert flute), one of my most favorite flute sounds of all. Thanks again all!
  • The sound of rain beating on the roof is very soothing when you’re all warm and snug in your studio. 
    I often get the ‘real thing ‘ , living in Ireland but the YouTube sounds are better. 
    We are in the middle of the worst snow blizzard in living memory at the moment , so lovely to be warm and safe indoors.  
    Can’t paint much , though , as I need to beside my wood burning stove which is downstairs. 
    ForgivenessRenoirBOB73
  • @PaulB If I ever want to know what it sounds like below deck with thousands of crickets, tree frogs, purring kittens and an owl on a tanker in a gale, I'll know the man that can hook me up. Interesting thread, thanks @Forgiveness. BTW. for the above albums, If you can find the right link you will have a "play all" button and have about 5 1/2 hours of uninterrupted music. This can also be done with other composers. Led Zeppelin used to work well too but I already have to much difficulty controlling the brush. 
    Forgiveness
  • @Forgiveness, you might like this violinist playing solo the first song in my previous post.
    Forgiveness
  • My music changes from time to time. During my last painting " Portrait of my father in law" I listened to Frans Schubert a lot. Symphonies, quartets, piano song. Otherwise my favorites are Beth Hart, Joe Bonamassa, Blues artists, some late King Crimson.
    Forgiveness
  • Thanks again everyone, I just lost 3TB of data, this means I lost the majority of my most favorite musics, including much of what I grew up with. So these suggestions above are fantastic replacement. I'm also using VLC Player, has many radio stations, such a wide variety. I don't know for certain if the 3TB hard drive is recoverable at this moment. 
  • @Forgiveness I'm sorry to hear you lost so much of the music you love. This won't help with your art.
    Forgiveness
  • I really like the musical storytelling of Loreena McKennitt.  She blends classical poetry, celtic and world music (Try The Lady of Shallotte or Mummers Dance).  Another long time favorite is a duo called Tingstad and Rumble (I really like Shadow Dancer) as well as George Winston (Thanksgiving is a favorite).  If you like electronic music try Ray Lynch (Celestial Soda Pop will energize you).
    ForgivenessBoudiccaRenoir
  • Either nothing, sometimes TV in background, otherwise a wide range.  I like a lot of different music types...  Bob Seger, Sammy Hagar, Waylon Jennings, Zack Williams, Mercy Me, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Johnny Cash...
  • I really enjoy the station "bonfire folk" on pandora
    Forgiveness
  • @JessicaArt ; I'd have guessed you would listen to the William Tell Overture. 
    @jpaxson ; You can't go wrong with a playlist that includes Seger AND Cash.
    I can understand the appeal of some of the other choices especially Arabic but I admit a lot of the other contemporary music is beyond my experience. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that for painting you should listen to something you are familiar with. New and interesting (or not) interfere with your thought processes on both the conscious and subliminal levels. Although I think millennials and children don't have this problem. Listening to podcasts or talk radio would be impossible for me. I need something that is easy to ignore but loud enough to drown out the ringing in my ears (tinnitus).
  • edited April 30
    I can't paint without listening to something. Usually it's news on the radio or more often, any kind of  music by the great composers. Lately I've been listening to a lot of J. D. Zelenka. 
    Kaustav
  • I listen to soundtracks.  very inspiring music.

• Chopin, Ballades (especially No 4). Faure, Nocturnes (esp. No 12) Beethoven, late piano sonatas and string quartets. All sublime. :)
  • @tassieguy I feel that for a landscape painter it is important to understand Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's fifth (esp second movement) and Pastoral symphony, Saint-Sean's Organ symphony and Debussy's music. Repeated listening helps to understand what those pieces mean! In our music too we got a lot of Raags (Ragas) for a particular time of the day or a season. They are very impressionistic in nature.
    If one wants to paint a serious picture of a particular scene then one can draw inspiration from these.
  • edited July 16
    Looking at my Spotify history: Grimes, Chvrches, Can, Lou Reed, Pixies, LCD Soundsystem. Also... The Guardians of the Galaxy Complete Mix Tape.

Whatever floats your boat, right?
  • edited July 16
    I agree, @Kaustav. Music can inspire. All the ones you mentioned - Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's fifth (esp second movement) and Pastoral symphony, Saint-Sean's Organ symphony and Debussy's music - are all favorites of mine. I play classical piano (not well) and practising it helps me understand the work of these composers more deeply. I, too, think the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony is something special - there are disturbing undercurrents and moments of somber reflection and then the clouds part to let in the most wonderous light... Truly sublime. :)
    KaustavForgiveness
  • I agree with you both about classical music. I listen most frequently these days and certainly the inspiration does many things for me. My favorite is J. S. Bach and like so many others as well. It's incredible to experience the passions behind these. Listening frequently or repeatedly, I have come to deeper understandings and inspiration. They certainly move me. I listen most often with headphones and I like it concert loud, I get everything about it this way too and feeling it all. And I too have a healthy selection of Ragas from great artists and masters, for all times of the day and occasions and I enjoy the instrumentals for inspiration and contemplation.

tassieguyKaustav
  • edited July 17
    I agree about Bach, @Forgiveness. His Goldberg Variations do it for me. But they need to be listened to repeatedly to discover their depth, intricacy and profound expression of emotion. I try to play them but I know I'll always fall short. Not enough fingers, too many keys...  Same with Beethoven's piano works.  Bach said that anyone who had worked as hard as he had could achieve as much but I very much doubt that.  =)
    Forgiveness
  • @tassieguy I agree about Goldberg. The whole power of the piece was immersed in the first variation. I guess Bach knew it so he ended with that! I do not discuss about Bach as he's in another tangent altogether. Nobody is greater than Bach; not even Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner or Mahler.

My most favorite (wrong word selection; its much more than just favorite) are Chiaconne and other solo violin works; first prelude and first three fugues of Well-tempered clavichord and above all Art of the Fugue (pinnacle of growth I guess).
    Forgiveness
  • Yes, @Kaustav, those works by Bach are the greatest and influenced so many who came after him including Beethoven.
    Forgiveness
  • Bach's depth is unfathomable. I have 25GB of Bach including Glen Gould collections. I never liked works that include human voice until Bach. It's incredible how much ground he covered and explored.
    Kaustav
  • edited August 5
    I just came across this piece recently, can't get enough of it! Grodd, Napoli - Schubert, Music for Flute and Piano, track-04 - Winterreise, Op. 89, D.911 (excerpts) No. 1 Gute Natch, @ 4:32 minutes. Thank you.
  • For anyone into history, check out Dan Carlin Hardcore History. Some episodes are on Youtube. Long 4-7 hour talks on a variety of topics.. always interesting
    Forgiveness
  • edited August 6
    @BOB73 that's the track before the one I am referring to. It's available for free listening at Apple Music Preview. No.1 Gute Nacht (not No. 5). Sorry I don't know how to provide a Linc for it.  Thanks.