Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Which pencil do you use for penciling on stained canvas? please help

Hi, I would like to  ask you about the pencil you use for drawing on stained canvas? Do you use Stabilo-All Pencil 8044 Yellow, which Mark recommands?
Are there any aletrnatives?

• Cheap yellow coloured pencil that I stole from my son, or more usually burnt umber diluted with turps.

I don't use Geneva stain; I just buy pre-primed canvases then give them a coat of "school grade" white acrylic, with enough burnt umber added to get the shade I want. I've found that Chromacryl brand burnt umber is almost the exact tone as the Geneva stain, once mixed with white.

My pallet (an A3 photo frame) is painted the same colour (under the glass), which in my view seems to be the most important thing.

That way, I have more money left for Absinthe.

#bottomfeeding #starvingartist
  • Datura

I like Stabilo Carbothello pastel pencils. But I have used fine line pigment pens on difficult surfaces.

• @Observer - thanks for your info.
    @Dencal - Stabilo All, that Mark recommends is a watercolor pencil. So I can use a pastel one, it won't mix with paints?

• dencaldencal -
    edited March 7

I have not had any mixing or contamination trouble with pastel pencils.
    Mostof my drawings are on an acrylic block in, acrylic under painting or acrylic toning.

If this remains a concern a light spray working fixative, or a light hairspray will seal the pastel.