Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

How did you realise you needed to paint?

We all seem to come from different backgrounds, areas of the world and of different ages. But we all share the urge to paint and be an artist.

How did you realise you needed to paint? :)
Julianna

Comments

• edited February 25
    Edited;                                                                                                                                                                                                                            recognizing my need to paint was the most important, and not the story.
    JuliannaWishiwaspaintingBOB73
  • It is a compulsion to draw and paint.  It has been for as long as I can remember.  I don't even think I am that talented, but nevertheless,  I have to work at it.
    PaulBJuliannaBobitalyBOB73
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited February 19
    I didn't need to paint, but I did need to get my mind off other things.  Once I started, I can't stop.  I find it very relaxing.
    JuliannaRenoirBobitalyBOB73
  • It's man's (sorry-- peoples') nature to want to create some thing that says who he was, where he  was and why he/she was. We can't escape it. Whether he paint's a masterpiece or all she does is pile some rocks on the ground in a pattern. We have to leave something on this earth.  This is paraphrased from an old 18th century sailor's journal who was explaining his desire to decorate whale teeth as in Scrimshaw (Whalebone etching/carving).

ForgivenessRenoir
  • If you die too young don't worry, somebody will put a rock with your name on it over your grave. Well that's better than using your skull for scrimshaw practice.
    Forgiveness
  • edited February 20
    We all have something to say for ourselves and a real need to say it, and let our presence be known. We are important, our lives really matter, when alone and in the company of others. As @BOB73 says, "it is in our nature", I firmly believe this is inherent, which many also learn to forget about and disregard as unimportant, never to return. and your are so funny BOB73! hee,hee,hee!
    ztgutzeit
  • Well it's partially true @BOB73 , I mean it's true for sure into an artist forum but human's nature it's much more complex in my opinion. There are nihilist, there are sofist, there are ascetics who just desire to meditate and to interact the minimum as possible with the world (even with food!!)... My preferred are the "stiliti" , philosophers that around 2000 years ago in Greece used to live on the top of a column :D to not talk about the ones living into barrels.. 
    ForgivenessBOB73
  • @Richard_P, interesting you draw a parallel between computer programming and art, as I have often thought the same. In both I can lose hours and not even notice (both right-brain activities I guess), and both combine creativity with problem solving.
  • I haven't painted since I was at high school, and I just didn't get it back then. I remember the teacher dragging me to the window on a sunny day after a rain shower, and asked what colour the asphalt yard was. "Black", I said. "No no, don't think, just tell me what can you *see*?". Again, "it's black, innit? Asphalt's black". And so on. He was quite upset.

Always loved art, love galleries, didn't pick up a brush for 30 years, read a few how-to books, bought some basic stuff, then "painted what I saw". Current art tutor said, "err... are you sure you've never painted before?". Lots of gushing praise from other students and colleagues, so in a Pavlovian way I decided to carry on...
    BobitalyBOB73
  • There are two things that I'v really wanted to do in my life: become a doctor, and become an artist.  What I actually ended up doing was musical training, some psych, and some education theory, after leaving pre-med science because I felt trapped by a schedule that didn't allow for creativity, which was intolerable to me.  I still regret this decision!  

After a lot of faffing around, I got married while still in university, left university to pay for the house,  and had six children.  While I have learned many many many skills during my 21 years of raising children (with many more years to go as my youngest is still just 7), the drive to create with my hands has been at the forefront of all my learning, all my observing, reading, and admiration.  

It's only been within the last year that I've been able to eke out the time and space to finally begin to follow that drive.  Now I have a huge learning curve and at times despair that my work will amount to anything.
    BobitalyForgivenessBOB73
  • It doesn't really matter what our  painting amounts to as long as we enjoy doing it.  People don't learn how to dance to watch other people dance.
    ForgivenessWishiwaspaintingRenoirMoeyMichele
  • The moment you actually begin painting, eventually all becomes well within.
    MoeyMichele
  • Id like to agree @BOB73 but Im built in such a way that if I'm not good at it I don't enjoy it
    BOB73
  • edited February 22
    @MoeyMichele, I'm just coming out of spending an entire year and more to learn to enjoy my art and painting in oil without a sense of enjoying it at all until now. Here I had to relearn what "being gentle" on myself means before enjoyment came back to me. Also when I came to understand what DMP is in combination with what Mark teaches and my practicing, and letting people here support me along the way and sharing with each other. I don't consider myself a great painter maybe as a possibility, but the return of joy and enthusiasm is the greatest thing that can work wonders. For an entire year I have been learning to gently push myself through difficult emotions and creative problems and learning a wonderful and simple method of oil painting, just but one day at time everyday. I did this without feeling good about my work necessarily and trusted Mark, everyone here and the painting method offered "for free!", free of charge, and trusted myself through the hardships to come through in the end. Now I feel happier and enthusiastic once again and looking forward to what I've always wanted to paint and say what I need through it. Just me, but it takes a real committed effort to get there, even if I didn't know or understand. I wanted what Mark has and what many others have here, and I took a stand for myself to succeed and made it. I am very much interested to see just what my abilities and portfolio will look like at the end of another year. It's also been a real joy supporting others along the way as well, as this contributes to my work in return. I encourage you to keep trying. In the past year I've completed but 3 paintings successfully in comparison to the others here, the rest was hard work going on in my background, doing my other homework in the dark. Now I am free to paint more this year like I want to as much as I wish, I hope this helps. 
    RenoirWishiwaspainting
  • That's kind of the way things are. if we enjoy doing something we usually get better at it but you're right if you try something and don't enjoy it, it doesn't matter how good you are at doing it- it's time to move on. It's a shame that in life some people become good at something and so good they make a living from it but they never really enjoy it.
    ForgivenessRenoir
  • @Forgiveness and @BOB73 you are both absolutely right.  Very insightful, thank you :) 
    Forgiveness
  • Feels so inspired by everyone’s story. When I was a child, I’ve always prefer to sit still, either doodling something or reading a book instead of doing sports and being active outdoor. I enjoyed time with myself. I started to learn drawing with only pencils in an early age and eventually got tired and lost patience in the black and white world. So I stopped drawing before going to high school. Then I went to university and work in the profession without touching any drawing/ painting for years. I’ve always wanted to be a fashion designer and last year I took a fashion illustration course and then I couldn’t stop. Instead of going forward with fashion design, I fall in love crazily into illustration. I’ve Tried different medium of drawing and painting(not oil though). I felt so peaceful and relaxing when I draw or paint. It is a gateway to escape from the daily routine. Also my friends around started to ask me if the illustrations I created are for sale which even more encouraging me moving forward. So now I have reduced my regular work into 50% and work harder on improving my painting skills in the rest of the time.  By time, I start to realize that oil painting is the ‘real stuff’ and I want to master it. Thank god I found Marks great and generous tutorials and such a great forum with nice, helpful people around. I hope my very first oil painting follows DMP method will go well. The bottom line is as long as I enjoy the process.
    RenoirBobitalyForgiveness