Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Is Turpenoid ‘Natural’ ok to use for Slow Dry Medium?

Greetings...

On mixing for the 'Slow Dry Medium' recipe....can anyone please tell me if it matters between using either of the two kinds of Terpenoid odorless paint thinner?

I live in Alaska and the only kind of the two that could even be shipped from a supplier to me was the 'Natural' (non-flammable) version. (local stores don't carry either or anything close)

I've used 'Turpenoid' many times outside of Alaska and knew what to expect with the product... however, I've never used the 'Natural' version of the product which has noticeably more viscosity and darker in color.  I went ahead and mixed the SDM concoction anyway and have yet to use it...it just seems it might be too 'thick' now.

Will this difference with the two like-products have an adverse affect on the SDM and the workability/color/usage of the paints?  

Thank you!

*UPDATE  I was just in Seattle over the weekend and shipped a few gallons of the regular Terpenoid to myself.  I'd still like to know if I can use the 'Natural' version of the product with the SDM so I haven't wasted it or the other mediums that were used in the mix.  

Comments

• I would suggest posting a comment to the original post, rather than creating this duplicate post which is identical except for emphasis.

I think the lack of answers here indicates that no one knows.  Is it possible that you could try both and report on the differences?  I get the feeling that you're the first person going down this path.
    ShobemariebBOB73
  • PaulB said:
    I would suggest posting a comment to the original post, rather than creating this duplicate post which is identical except for emphasis.

I think the lack of answers here indicates that no one knows.  Is it possible that you could try both and report on the differences?  I get the feeling that you're the first person going down this path.
    Thanks Paul...

It's not a bad idea to try each mixture and then report my findings, so I do agree with you on that.   I think my impatience for an answer and my uncertainty if I posted in the best category convinced me to change my listing...perhaps 'tagging' these topics would help to filter them better?

I'm just thinking that a true test on this comparison would take a long time...if there's cracking, yellowing, flaking or exploding.  

Perhaps the safest way would be to wait another day for the regular Turpenoid to arrive and make up a new batch to use...after I order new supplies of the other ingredients.  Then just toss out the original SDM I made and use the other 2 gallons of 'Natural Turpenoid' I bought originally as brush cleaner.

Thanks again
    -Tim

PaulB
  • edited February 15
    My experience with these materials, based on a batch I made 18 months ago, is that it’s best to use the clearest product available. Anything with color is less archival due to the impurities, and since turpenoid is a petroleum product, we can probably guess that it will yellow further.  Is one turpenoid clearer?  I prefer gamsol because it is so highly refined.  There is little or nothing left behind when it evaporates.
    Also, let me warn you about Venice turpentine used on livestock hooves.  It has some wax and dryers in it that sorta defeats the purpose.  I had no idea it was available in a refined form for artists. It seems sort of obvious now but I wondered for the longest time why my paint dried so fast when I was using slow dry medium.  :)
    Shobe
  • MikeDerby said:
    My experience with these materials, based on a batch I made 18 months ago, is that it’s best to use the clearest product available. Anything with color is less archival due to the impurities, and since turpenoid is a petroleum product, we can probably guess that it will yellow further.  Is one turpenoid clearer?  I prefer gamsol because it is so highly refined.  There is little or nothing left behind when it evaporates.
    Also, let me warn you about Venice turpentine used on livestock hooves.  It has some wax and dryers in it that sorta defeats the purpose.  I had no idea it was available in a refined form for artists. It seems sort of obvious now but I wondered for the longest time why my paint dried so fast when I was using slow dry medium.  :)
    Thank you Mike!  Yes, the regular Turpenoid is much ‘clearer’ and not as thick as the Turpenoid Natural.  I will follow your advice and stay away from the darker and thicker Natural version for my SDM.  I about screamed when I saw how ‘dirty’ the Natural was while mixing the carefully measured concoction...but regular Turpenoid was not available.  I have it now though and will redo my mix.

*not to sound critical...but on the recipe page for SDM, it says “any artist-grade odorless thinner will do”.  Well, maybe the Natural will work, but I’m definitely going with the regular Turpenoid.  I’ve heard great things about Gamsol too, so thank you adding your support of that product along with the warning on the Venice turpentine.  

All ll good advice...thanks again!
    BOB73
  • I only use Turpenoid Natural as a brush cleaner and conditioner, which it does very well. It never seems to dry or evaporate, so I would not use it as a medium. I think Sadie Valeri has posted a video on YouTube about this. 
    ShobeBOB73
  • I only use Turpenoid Natural as a brush cleaner and conditioner, which it does very well. It never seems to dry or evaporate, so I would not use it as a medium. I think Sadie Valeri has posted a video on YouTube about this. 
    Thank you Martin....this was exactly what I needed to hear to convince me on my decision about whether or not I should use the Turpenoid Natural for my SDM or not.  And it taught me that TN does serve a purpose for cleaning my brushes.  The loudest words in the video to me were “...it doesn’t dry”.  
    It seems like a needle in the haystack to find out what someone else knows about something like this ...so until I’m convinced otherwise, I’ll use the information you offered and coming from this video.  https://youtu.be/8Ayz0CdSAl4
    Thanks again!

*The only reason I have the TN is because I had contacted the manufacturer of the product about how I can have Turpenoid shipped to me in Alaska and they said a 4-gallon minimum at $85ea is all they would do...or I can order the Natural (that can be shipped) from Amazon.  All other stores I contacted in the lower-48 would not ship Turpenoid to Alaska. The manufacturer never told me there was a difference and the label does say ‘artist grade’...yeah, for brushes!
  • Can you get what you need from Canada?
  • BOB73 said:
    Can you get what you need from Canada?
    Hi Bob....Not sure about ordering it from Canada, but I know I can't get there by car....I'm in Sitka and there are no roads out of here to anywhere! :)  I was in Seattle on Monday and purchased 2 gallons of Turpenoid and then shipped them via USPS...and they arrived here 2 days later!  I taught my brother where to get more and how to ship them for my next supply-needed.
  • No roads? how long is the boat ride to Vancouver? it's onlly about 6 or 700 miles? You must have thousands of brushes to need that much turp. Or do the mosquitos drink it all when you're not looking. At least it doesn't freeze above -305F. Here's what Winsor & Newton (2 big experts) say about Turpenoid:

Many artists ask us about the possibility of using Turpentine substitutes or Turpenoid for oil painting. We would not recommend using either of these but recommend the use of Artists’ solvents to ensure the stability of your work.

As a cheap DIY solvent, Turpentine Substitute should not be used with oil paint because it can discolour the oil paint and lead to become non-drying. This type of solvent would only be useful for cleaning artists’ brushes. Using Turpentine substitute or cheap DIY solvents often result in tacky paint films and the sinking of oil colour.

If you are familiar with Turpenoid, the nearest equivalent to this in the Winsor & Newton range is Distilled Turpentine.

• ShobeShobe -
    edited February 16
    In Sitka, we can drive 7 miles north or 7 miles south...that's it!  And yes, we are about 700 miles north of Vancouver.

I live and work at two locations...one in town and another on an island 2 miles across the water.  It causes me to 'double up' on all of my art $upplies$ so I can use them at each location...hence, the 2 gallons of Terpenoid that should hopefully last for awhile. 

Thank you for the info from the experts at W&N.  I am not qualified to argue with anything they say, but I will say that I've used Terpenoid many times before while having access to a store with it and I have yet to have any problems.  O'course, that doesn't mean I won't though.

Amazon will not even ship Gamsol to my part of the world and Cathy at Gamblin just told me over the phone that they will not ship Gamsol anywhere north.  Funny thing is that she then proceeded in a vey polite way to inform me about a product they will ship to me.....Turpenoid Natural!  Ah!!!!!!!!!!  Lol...."No thank you Cathy."