Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New Portrait in Progress

edited February 2 in Post Your Paintings
Hi,

Here's a recent portrait I'm painting from an original photograph of model, Liv Sage. I'm using Geneva paint on oil primed canvas mounted to a cradled panel. I made a 1:1 laminated color corrected print to work from.
  I drew the figure using Mark's method of reference lines and key points to transfer photo to canvas as accurately as I could. However, I don't think I've succeeded in capturing an accurate likeness of the model.
  So, I've uploaded the photo and the painting as it stands now and ask, What do you think? Does it look anything like her? (I can't tell anymore.) Should I keep working on it, or abandon it and move on? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Liv Sage, oil on mounted canvas, 16" x 20"

Mark

FlattyDaturaElizaBOB73

Comments

• FlattyFlatty admin
    Welcome back:-)
  • It definitely looks like her and I think you could pursue it further. Go back and check values and colours. I think you may find that your darks are too dark and that the skin colours are oversaturated. But maybe you intended that. I am just comparing the painting and the photo as I see them on my monitor and assuming that you are wanting to get as close as possible to what you see in the photo. If not, you've still done a good job. :)
    mlr4948
  • You got the likeness! I love your colous, and the way you painted her shirt, it looks like silk
    mlr4948
  • Definitely got the likeness. I would say that it would appear that her freckles are part of her “look” and to include them would be important.
    mlr4948
  • tassieguy said:
    It definitely looks like her and I think you could pursue it further. Go back and check values and colours. I think you may find that your darks are too dark and that the skin colours are oversaturated. But maybe you intended that. I am just comparing the painting and the photo as I see them on my monitor and assuming that you are wanting to get as close as possible to what you see in the photo. If not, you've still done a good job. :)
    Thanks for your comment! Very helpful. I think my photo of the painting was overly saturated and I have corrected it to better match the painting itself. But, I agree, the darks are still too dark. I will go back and adjust the values once it dries. Thanks again!
  • The comlexion is darker but totally has the appearance nailed. 
    mlr4948
  • I think that part under her nose is too long and curves out a little too much the upper lip is a little thick too. the lower lip could be thicker and suggests that as a starting point if you want to make changes. Personally I think the likeness is good enough. I also think the skin tones are too blue but that could be the photograph. It is a very well done artistic rendering, going photo realistic isn't always the most artistic way to go.
  • edited February 9
    Likeness is close but I agree not totally perfect... But it's still a very nice portrait. I really like it. To get the likeness perfect I recommend transfer paper. 

On the other hand your portrait probably still looks like a very accurate representation of the model, people would instantly recognize her, but just a bit different than your reference photo. Likeness is close enough imo. I like the skin colours

Another tip I picked up is that you can use calipers to make sure everything is in the right spot... Eyes, mouth, highlights etc