Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

value of a color

Hi,
I am interested in color mixing method introduced in this website. I think to get the identical value first is a good way. I believe it works and will give new hand like me a very efficient way to achieve the target color. But my question is how can I judge the value of a color?In other word, while mixing a color, how can I know the value of current color? One should know this before adding light color or dark color, right? Thanks for answering my question!
PaulB

Comments

• Welcome @sbchou!

Judging value is not easy, and with practise you'll be able to do it.  Until then you might think of value as being the tone you see in a black and white photograph.  Two colors that you might perceive as different might look identical in a black & white photo because they are the same value.

Here's an example taken from a photograph:

Here we see four different values of the same chroma.  The left side is a lower value, the right side is a higher value.  Can you see that there is a small amount of contrast change as we move from left to right?

Here is another sample from the same photograph:

Here we see two different colors, and this time there is no contract between the two, because they have the same value.  The chroma is different (more yellow/brown on top, more blue/green on the bottom), the values are the same.  The edge is soft.

Now squint at both these pictures. The top picture still looks darker on the left and lighter on the right no matter how hard you squint.  The bottom picture looks like one color when you squint, with no lighter or darker areas.

Contrast is relative value differences.  Low contrast leads to soft edges.  
    RenoirWishiwaspainting
  • dencaldencal -
    edited January 26
    sbchou

Welcome to the Forum.

Here is a link to Mark's free video showing how to use a color checker.

Mark also has free videos on mixing color values. Press the Blue Button

at the top of this page to view them all.

You may also want to print your photo in B&W and use a grey scale to determine the value of a shade.
    Say this comes out at 6 on the grey scale, this can translate as value six on your ten step mixed color values.

Denis

• Great @PaulB, now where do I go to learn how to squint? NOT kidding-- I've seen all these threads that mention squinting and I just don't seem to have the knack. For me squinting doesn't make adifference in value perception.
  • BOB73 said:
    Great @PaulB, now where do I go to learn how to squint? NOT kidding-- I've seen all these threads that mention squinting and I just don't seem to have the knack. For me squinting doesn't make adifference in value perception.
    Okay, look at something with different values.  While looking, close your eyelids gradually, as much as possible while still being able to vaguely see.  We're talking about keeping your eyes open by only a couple of millimeters, the bare minimum.  You should experience losing almost all detail and some color, leaving only light and dark shapes.
  • I find smiling real good, pushing it, from ear to ear, and forcing it as much as possible helps, no kidding. Smiling exercises, holding for 10/15mins. steady, if you wanted to take it further and wear it all day. Squinting from here is real easy. Hope this helps.
  • THanks @PaulB I'll keep practicing. @Forgiveness, I haven't smiled since 1989 and the worst part is I can't remember why I was smiling at the time. I laugh and I smirk but I don't smile.
  • Thank @PaulB , @dencal, @bob73, @Forgiveness, You are very nice and your replies are really helpful. Before coming to this forum, I've ever tried using software to test the color box appearance between RGB values and HSB values.  Now I'll try the methods that you suggest and believe I can understand more about color value. Thank you all again.
    Forgiveness
  • mariebmarieb -
    edited January 28
     Smiling exercises, holding for 10/15mins. steady, if you wanted to take it further and wear it all day. Squinting from here is real easy. Hope this helps.
    That’s great advice for guys, smile lines around the eyes add “ character” like some grey hair does. Not great advice for us ladies though, lines around the eyes just make us look old and will cost an absolute fortune to fix  =)
    WishiwaspaintingForgiveness