Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

DIY Paint Palette?

I bought a plastic cutting board and I want to use it as a palette and I want to know if it's possible?
Image result for walmart cutting board
^ This is the cutting board. It has a slight raised texture and I'm figuring if I apply some gloss medium to the board it will make it resistant and easier to clean and overall make a better palette. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Should I scrap this DIY project all together?

Comments

• Glass is the way to go, I will never switch back to plastic, paper plates, old canvas or wood 
    edavisonFlatty
  • Smooooooooth is what you want.  Use the board to make a picture holder or .... put it in the kitchen and use it as you might use a cutting board.
  • I bought a couple of the cheapest A3 poster frames I could buy, then took out the paper backing and painted them the same colour as a prepped canvas. Four bucks a pop.
    Forgivenessmichalis
  • I do the same with A4 clip frames, but the ones that have the thin MDF backing I leave under the glass as it's a neutral brown already :)
  • Glass definitely is best.  You can buy tempered glass cutting boards on Amazon.   I found one that is clear.  The top is textured, but the bottom is smooth, so I just flipped it over.  

I've also used photo picture frames as already described.  The only problem with them is that the glass isn't tempered, but the frame makes a nice raised edge.

• or, you can go to Goodwill or some salvage store and purchase an old print in a frame - turn the print around - usually cardboard color is on the back and voila - you have a perfect palette!  At my local Goodwill or Salvation Army or even garage sales - you can find glass covered, framed prints for a few dollars.   Added bonus, the frame makes it easy to put saran wrap on top after you are done for the day (keeps it away from palette paint) and your paints will last much longer and not be smeared.

• 14X24X1/8" tempered glass shelves $8.50 at a glass shop. Ask for standard sizes if you ask for a size they have to cut and edge it will be expensive. They usually stock sizes that are good for our palettes. There are also glass shelves on line. https://www.storesupply.com/search.aspx?query=14X24 glass shelves
  • Julianna said:
    or, you can go to Goodwill or some salvage store and purchase an old print in a frame - turn the print around - usually cardboard color is on the back and voila - you have a perfect palette!  At my local Goodwill or Salvation Army or even garage sales - you can find glass covered, framed prints for a few dollars.   Added bonus, the frame makes it easy to put saran wrap on top after you are done for the day (keeps it away from palette paint) and your paints will last much longer and not be smeared.

You can put the glass palette in a plastic box folder like this:

And then close and lock it to keep the paint fresher.
    tassieguy