Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Geneva Foundation Canvas Stain

I bought a tube of  "Geneva Foundation Layer Canvas Stain".  I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.  Here is why:
As I do not usually like to buy items off the internet, I was somewhat hesitant to purpose it (dislike returning items from the Internet), but I am very glad I did.  Per Mark's video, you will quickly see that it covers very well and thus I believe a tube used correctly will last a long time.  Plus, your stain will be the same color every time. As mentioned in a previous conversation, to get rid of streaks, I use a fan brush (which I have stopped using for painting) as it gives a nice smooth and even coverage. A fan brush will also help in using less of the stain.  Thus making the stain more cost effective.  
If you are a follower of Mark's advice, and you want to do your paintings "right" from the beginning, use Geneva's canvas stain. 
Ralph

PaulBedavisonSummerJuliannaFlattyEstherH

Comments

• That's interesting about using a fan brush.  It is amazing how long Geneva paints last - well worth the money!
  • Personally, I found that the stain dried out to fast when I was applying it, it also became gritty with my brushstrokes - when i manage to complete a canvas with it my white (chalk) pencil would not take to the canvas - I have gone back to using acrylic burnt umber or sienna

By the way, this is my ONLY negative regarding the Geneva paints, the oil paint and service is second to none,...

• Does anybody know how well the stain works on the back of a glass palette?  
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 21
    @Rtaeger ; I seem to remember that there were two things I had to deal with when I used Mark's original stain recipe on glass to make my palettes.  The blue-green of the glass had to be compensated for in the paint mix that I used.  I added a little orange--a mix of alizarin crimson and yellow.  Then, even with two coats, the back scraped easily so I covered the exposed dried paint with black contact paper but a thin veneer of wood secured with heavy duty tape or glue around the edges would have been better.  Summer
    BOB73
  • Thanks Summer.  Does the new stain from the tube make any difference?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 21
    I don't know.  I'd test it.  At least you know where the problems will be if there are any.  Maybe Mark or his staff will respond.  Good question.  I'm very happy with the glass palettes that I purchased from Geneva Fine Arts store so I won't be making any more.  :)
    PaulB
  • I'm curious myself, so if you experiment with this prepared canvas stain on glass, I hope you will show the results here.   :)  
  • I've got my glass pallets drying in the garage (been dry but too cold for next step for weeks) I was going to do a second coat then polyurethane after that. This is the Griffin Alkyd not Geneva I'm using. Hadn't thought of contact paper but it sounds like a good/cheap protection. I also thought of using a stolen yoga mat to lay under them on the table to keep from shifting and scraping. I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW I forgot to add the orange but I started out with ultra clear glass. the typical green/blue edge was not noticible.
  • edited January 24
    Just today I finally got a nice big sheet of glass for a palette. My old wooden one is so encrusted it's become a peice of sculpture. It's amazing how tough dried oil paint is!  

I'm wondering whether I should paint the back of the glass or not. The surface of my big table on which it will rest is made of HDF and is a sort of neutral brown colour already. I stain my canvases differently depending on the neutral half tones in the scene I'm painting so I'm thinking of painting some cardboard pieces in a variety of neutral half tones so that I can change the colour of the palette as needed. I Iike to find a neutral half tone in a scene and leave it show as a middle value in a painting. Not sure how this will work out but it's going to be great having a palette that I can clean easily and thoroughly so I have a clean slate for each new painting.

I also finally got some clove oil. I have a plastic cover for my glass palette so (hopefully) if I put a bit if cotton wool soaked in clove oil on the palette and cover it I'm not going to have to worry so much about having to remix colours and wasting so much  paint.  :)
    Julianna
  • I think you've got a great Idea with interchangeable colored bases. Painting the glass only adds color no other reason to paint them. The cardboard will also protect them ffom scratching; paint won't help with that.
  • tassieguy said:
    I also finally got some clove oil. I have a plastic cover for my glass palette so (hopefully) if I put a bit if cotton wool soaked in clove oil on the palette and cover it I'm not going to have to worry so much about having to remix colours and wasting so much  paint.  :)
    It will keep for days or weeks like that.. but it does smell very strong! Just warning you.. ;)
    Julianna
  • edited January 27
    Thanks, @BOB73. It seemed like a good solution. Let's see how it works out.  And thanks, @Richard. Weeks? That's great. I guess it's just as well that I quite like the smell of cloves. :)
    Julianna
  • Thanks everyone! What I decided was to use some Geneva stain on some matting card board and it work well.  I attached it to the glass with black masking tape along the 4 sides.  
    Keep smiling! 
    Julianna
  • @tassieguy ; I just found out about that q-tip clove oil trick - boy is it awesome!  @Richard_P ; is correct about the smell though - I quite enjoy it.  I have a piece of glass in a masterson box and usually have cardboard underneath, but like you @tassieguy , I often tone my canvas differently depending on the subject or my lessons (lately, I am toning with warm (yellow ochre) if the painting is more cool and toning with cool (grey) if the painting is more warm) - so I have painted pieces of cardboard accordingly and just slip it under the glass for whatever I am doing at the time.  Cheap, fun and easy.