Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Inspirational Photographer

I have been participating on Flickr, and found this photographer, Javier.  If you need inspiration, his still life photos look like oils.  Wonderful seascapes, too.  There is an envelope icon by his name to contact him, if you are signed up on Flickr.  I have no idea if he would allow his photos to be used for reference, but just perusing his photos may give you some ideas for future paintings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcrla/
PaulBSummer

Comments

• Those are wonderful!  You're right about some of them looking like oils.

I would consider them inspiration, but I don't think I would paint them.  It would feel like I have abdicated every artistic decision.  There are great compositions there, and I'd like to improve that skill.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 18
    This one required impeccable timing--or was it luck:

• There are some wonderful photographs in this collection. But some almost seem a bit too perfect to paint if that makes sense!
    BOB73Renoir
  • Not sure.  He doesn't appear to have a website link.
  • Guys, I think when it comes to still-lifes (while learning DMP) half the fun is collecting objects and setting up your own stuff. If you have perishables you might want to take a good picture and paint from that. Setting up your own helps train your eyes to make good compositions and spot good compositions that exist outside your shadowbox as well as in it. You youngsters are at a disadvantage because you don't have the years and decades of accumulating household stuff for set-ups like bottles ashtrays, quilts, baskets and hats, lots of hats.
    edavisonPaulBanweshaRenoir
  • BOB73 said:
    You youngsters are at a disadvantage because you don't have the years and decades of accumulating household stuff for set-ups like bottles ashtrays, quilts, baskets and hats, lots of hats.
    Aha! Is that why you have no space for painting?
    edavisonSummerRenoir