Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Studio Ventilation Design Challenge

edited January 16 in Studio & Supplies
This is my studio window and the fan that I use for exhaust. Inside measurements of the frame are 14 3/4" w x 64 3/4" h. the outside measurements are 40" w x 68 3/4" h. This is a very good fan that works well. The challenge is that I don't want it so near my head as I paint because of noise. It's not all that noisy, but you know the hum it's there all the time, most of the time I run it on medium speed for adequate ventilation and on high speed when heavy fumes are apparent and clears the entire room and space around, no worries. I don't have much of a budget to work with but not impossible with patience. I have skill to do this myself and tools and resourceful for materials. I haven't resolved a design that would work and be safe in construction and reliable to work with. Any ideas? This morning I spent 2 hours, 3rd try to replace the duct tape around this window that works real well when it is -40C/-30C outdoors. The 1st attempt was removing old weathered stuff, 2nd attempt was a fail with inferior tape, got it on the 3rd attempt with superior quality, perfectly well sealed from any freezing cold air leaks. Any new design changes here will be implemented in springtime, most likely.                                   .

Comments

• Forgiveness

I recommend the Schweigen silent bathroom extractor fan. This is a ceiling vent, easy to install, with flexible ducting to a roof mounted external motor. 

Denis

Forgiveness
  • How is the air moving out? is there a hole for the blower to go through. Assuming that that the hole is the same size as the outlet, It looks like a good set up for evacuating fumes from a small room. Nearly all volatile gasses are heavier than air and (without air disturbance) will accumulate at lower levels so the placement is good. I see there is another fan and that could be a problem if they are working against each other. The MAIN QUESTION is where is the fresh air coming from? With out replacement air the fan can spin but move relatively no air past keeping the room in a negative pressure situation. Most blowers will show how much air they move Cubic feet or meters per minute or hour. Find the volume of the room in the same unit of measurement and determine how many exchanges of air per hour you have. This is the simplest way but assumes fresh air is coming in as fast as forced air is going out. 15 exchanges per hour would be required for a factory setting where frequent use of non-poisonous chemicals in small quantities were in use and more than adequate for your purposes. Don't hold me to this figure it's been a long time since I did this kind of work but it's in the ball park. If you can manage 4 exchanges that would be good.
    Forgiveness
  • Are you sure you won't be using Geneva paints, or going non-solvent, if you do you won't necessarily need to install the fan?
  • Thanks @BOB73, good work! On less colder days in winter I open the kitchen window just a few feet away next to me on my left to something comfortable, even with that I am quite sure most of the time the exchange is guess 8/9 very good for my situation, on the colder days when everything is closed up tight but this one fan, the exchange is guess 5/6. Given I am aware, I work a lighter load in my studio on the very coldest days and even work a broken schedule to keep things moving and I keep a very clean studio and space. This winter season has been particularly strong from what we've been used to. It never occurred to me before this posting, but I'm playing around with an idea for a temporary floating sound barrier to place between me and the fan until springtime, not perfect but I do find some relief in this. I like the suggestion of the fan above!
  • edited January 16
    @Richard_P, good point, I redirect and reinvest my efforts to purchase Geneva paints and go non-solvent in the studio, this would work, thanks. I will work toward this goal and meet it by springtime, no other fan installations necessary.
  • @Forgiveness I could help as my background is MEP ( mechanical / electrical / plumbing) design - for good air movement you need the correct air changes / per hour , it's ok removing all the "bad" air but you must consider replacing that with make up air and knowing where this comes from and the room size and a few other parameters are required - @dencal is on the right path there are better solutions than the room fan, such as vent axia in wall / window fans and can also have an air quality sensor installed, so it only runs when the air quality drops, they are very economical power consumption wise.
    now I am concerned about the hazard and your health, maybe invest in a room monitor that samples VOC and gives audible and visual alams when your IAQ ( indoor air quality) drops to a dangerous level 

geneva paints are the way to go, I have used these inside for the last 3 months with no issues what so ever, and I only have cross ventilation ( open windows , opposing ends of the floor space ) in my house

on another note I have three sets of   Geneva paints just sat in my house waiting to be used, I could mail a set to you so you can get started, and then you can mail a set back whenever you are ready via Geneva paint - just send a private note with a mailing address and I will get them over to you,..

• Thanks for your insights @alsart, I like the vent axia in wall/window for window installation with air quality sensor suggestion and room monitor. This is inside a 135 year old house turned into apartment units and deteriorating quite well, so exists many sources of air leaks that pollute my space from outside as well. If I can keep my space well, then all will be well all around. Thanks for your generosity in offering Geneva paint very kind, but I will continue to work toward these goals as is and expect an entire new arrangement and clean up by springtime. In the meantime also more painting to get to and complete as well.
  • Your welcome  - If you call Vent axia, they will design & size the correct fan for you, I have not used them for a few years but the in house team used to be very helpful - Just reach out if you need anything @Forgiveness
    Forgiveness