Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New painting challenge?

Anyone up for another challenge in the near future? Last one was a big success and hopefully we have had enough time to recover by now!

Perhaps we could brainstorm some ideas? I was thinking "still life painted from life" could be a good one
FlattyPaulBIrishcajunmarieb

Comments

• I like the activity and excitement around a challenge.  The last one was fascinating.  My suggestion would be:

Something modern in the style of Sargent
    KaustavmelTsandwich
  • Good idea - I second the below,for me I would have to undertake some study on Sargent but that would be part of the fun and education - I am up for it, at a beginners level if we could have skill levels ??

PaulB said:

Something modern in the style of Sargent

• edited January 11
    I like "still life painted from life". I agree the last challenge was really quite something, this will be an entirely new one!
  • "Something modern in the style of Sargent" - could you enlarge on that a bit, @PaulB? It sounds interesting. 
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited January 11
    tassieguy said:
    "Something modern in the style of Sargent" - could you enlarge on that a bit, @PaulB? It sounds interesting. 
    The idea is to paint something or a scene that didn't exist in 1925, thus Sargent could not have painted it, and therefore we can't simply copy his painting.  We just emulate his style.  It seems pertinent to DMP and common to our aspirations.

I was trying to come up with something that was as far out of my comfort zone as possible.
    Kaustav
  • I like the idea. It will force us to think what we mean by "style". To me, Sargent's style will have a lot to do with his technique.
  • Folks

https://www.artble.com/artists/john_singer_sargent/more_information/style_and_technique

John Singer Sargent Style
    Style as Technique: 
    Realism is not a technique so much as a philosophy. In some ways, Sargent can be considered a generalist, for he mastered and fused various different styles: classical portraits, impressionism, landscapes, watercolors and murals. Sargent believed that styles were techniques to be used rather than an end representation in themselves, and said that knowledge of a particular style: "does not make a man an Artist any more than the knowledge of perspective does - it is merely a refining of one's means towards representing things and one step further away from the hieroglyph".

Defining Characteristics: 
    Portraits: 
    Sargent was renowned for his portraits of the wealthy and famous. Although he worked within the established style of classical portraiture he used unusual compositions, interesting color palettes, and rarely repeated the same arrangement twice. Sargents' lack of use of under painting and under drawing allowed for more spontaneous, less controlled brush strokes which gave the effect of capturing the sitter in a candid moment. At the same time, he was able to manipulate props to convey the social status of his subjects, particularly in his use of texture to detail fine fabrics.

Denis

KaustavBOB73SummerIrishcajun
  • edited January 11
    Great ideas @movealonghome and@PaulB

Let's paint something modern...things from our world presented in an interesting creative way (I am not suggesting modern art here; only realism). It can be a still life competition consisting of modern objects only. Why not test the limits of creativity here as well - using theory, different lighting, feelings for unusual objects and other crazy ideas?

@PaulB I support Paul's suggestion about modern things but not sure if a lot of us can emulate the style of Sargent. Maybe we can just paint in our own respective styles? Those who can paint like Sargent, they can be extra creative with the subject matter (by making the subject more difficult to paint).
    michalisForgiveness
  • I like the idea of another competition. Thanks for suggesting it! :)
    michalis
  • Great ideas guys, I am in!

• edited January 11
    Just how modern or recent modern objects? Should we keep a certain modern time period such as the last 50, 20, 10, 5 years? or can we get into some objects that holds possibility for something futuristic looking, even though this is realism too, but not "modern art" as you mentioned. This could prove to be very, very interesting in the end! There are so many modern objects used for so many things, and so many different parts to living.
    Kaustav
  • Great ideas so far! I haven't gotten to take part in a painting challenge yet so I'm excited that there might be another :) 

I was trying to think of some unique ideas for a challenge, here's some: 

1) Paint a reimagined movie scene. For example, if you love that sequence from "North by Northwest" with Cary Grant running from the airplane trying to gun him down. Then you could paint that but from the viewpoint of the plane. Something along those lines where your using film as an inspiration. 

2) Narrative Illustration challenge. Instead of a still life or a portrait or something static and unmoving, you would have to paint a scene with action and motion going on. It would have to have some sort of story behind it...not written out necessarily, but it should leave us wondering what happened before and after that moment in time. Must include at least one figure.  
    PaulB
  • Kaustav said:
    ... but not sure if a lot of us can emulate the style of Sargent. Maybe we can just paint in our own respective styles? Those who can paint like Sargent, they can be extra creative with the subject matter (by making the subject more difficult to paint).
    Perfect.  I don't think I can paint in this style at all, but I'll give it a sincere try.  That's the "challenge" part.  Get way out of your comfort zone.
    Kaustav
  • I may be way off here , or maybe a suggestion for another challenge?, what about still life from life using musical instruments or interesting compositions that capture interesting parts/sections of musical instruments? 
  • Is venice not there anymore? Would Gondolas with outboard motors be too close to Sargent's era? Many of his paintings are not uniquely tied to his era except by clothing fasion. I suppose I could copy one of his seated figures and add a laptop computer to the composition but that would be shaving the rules. I disagree With Kaustav's complaint because  his Kaustav's portraits have shown elements and shadings of Sargent So we should all be able to emulate his style. That would be easier for me than painting from life. I've pretty well given up on the Idea of painting still-life from life because it takes my eyes too long to re-focus when looking at objects at a distance then looking at the canvas closer to me.

I like the Sargent STYLE challenge it can be applied to any of the other suggested ideas and including something in your painting from the 21st century or late/late 20th century wouldn't be difficult. The movie scene redux is a brilliant Idea too @edavision and that too could be done with the Sargent Treatment. ATBS-

All that being said, I'm not sure it's a good time to start a new challenge. So many brand new members in the last two months just wetting their brushes for the first time, lots of members immersed in ongoing unrelated projects, getting over illnesses, or just blah-ed out. How about we just make January 31st a deadline or target date to establish what the new challenge will be and any rules limitations if any and a dead line for the finish. Also A volunteer moderator to set-up a "post your challenge painting" thread with separate comment thread.

Forgivenessedavison
  • Hopefully more people suggest challenge ideas!
    edavison
  • edited January 12
    I feel we should just fix one common item to paint rather than just having open ended ideas. We will clearly see and compare both creativity and skill! E.g. paint a personal computer/paint a cell phone/paint Bon Jovi/paint a satellite/paint a music recording console (for @Forgiveness ) etc.
    michalisForgivenessmelTsandwich
  • I agree with Bob that we should do it after January, but I do like the idea of a challenge..
    ForgivenesstassieguyRenoir
  • I'm just now starting to set up a still life after not painting for quite a few weeks.  It contains a shiny reflective object from the 30's (it's an iron).  It's not a large object but placed in the center of interest.  Before I saw this post I was actually going to see if anyone was interested in doing a still life challenge using a shiny or reflective object.  
    ForgivenessKaustav
  • I agree with BOB73 for after January, and Kaustav "fix one modern common item to paint" in a still life set up.
  • I like the shiny or reflective object idea.
    ForgivenessPaulBRenoir
  • Every one painting from a single photo? Is that the suggestion? Still in the Sargent style? You already know what I would have chosen for a challenge but Sargent style and modern object and movie scenes are all ok with me too. not so sure about same object in Sargent Style I like to have control of my composition even if the one provided is an excellent composition to work from... plus that what give us one less important element to form a judgement from.Although it would also simplify the judging process. Picking a challenge can be a challenge in itself. I wonder what @Anwesha thinks.

• BOB73 said:

Every one painting from a single photo? Is that the suggestion? Still in the Sargent style? You already know what I would have chosen for a challenge but Sargent style and modern object and movie scenes are all ok with me too. not so sure about same object in Sargent Style I like to have control of my composition even if the one provided is an excellent composition to work from... plus that what give us one less important element to form a judgement from.Although it would also simplify the judging process. Picking a challenge can be a challenge in itself. I wonder what @Anwesha thinks.

I can see you wanting to paint a sherrif's hat and star ;)
    BOB73
  • Just a suggestion:

Still life
    from life or photo that you have taken
    no more than 3 objects
    1 object modern
    any style, but must follow DMP method
    no more than 6 hours total painting time (exclusive of setup and color mixing time)

FlattyRonnaKaustav
  • edited January 12
    Oh the timed challenge is very interesting I like that but at the same time it might dissuade some people from participating
    Martin_J_CraneBOB73Kaustavmarieb
  • My thinking behind these suggestions is to make it doable by as many people as possible, to keep it simple and not fussy, and to refocus on the fundamentals of DMP. 
    PaulBBoudiccaForgivenessFlatty
  • The idea of having everything set up and ready with colours mixed and then giving yourself 6 hours sounds fun. I'd really like to see what others are able to do with that
    Martin_J_CranePaulBedavisonForgiveness
  • edited January 12
    Hopefully we’ll get more “painterly” results, which a lot of us want to achieve. It would be a challenge for me because I get way too fussy and sometimes the freshness of the initial brushstrokes gets lost as a result.  Another idea to add could be a “no tiny brushes” rule.  Watching Mark’s pear painting gave me the idea. 
    PaulBBoudiccaForgivenessedavison
  • No tiny brushes? I love the idea but I don't want to scare away @PaulB   ;) :p

PaulBKaustav
  • If we end up going with the idea of a 6 hour still life painting maybe we could make this a shorter challenge? Maybe begin February 1st and finish mid-March? We could start to do challenges more often if we have some shorter ones in the mix
    Martin_J_CranePaulB
  • I am not sure how a 6 hour challenge would work for me, my current process takes 6 months!!
    Joke aside, I would be willing to go for it, and put the lessons gained so far into on the spot productivity
    Would it mean - the below parameters are outside the clock -
    1 -Set up still life
    2 - Ready all paint mixes
    3 - Prepare sketch
    Clock starts - Get painting - tick tock,...
  • A week is a sensible time frame - it has my vote
    edavison
  • A week works for me. I may still try the 6 hour thing within that week, but I have no problem with that not being a requirement. 
    edavison
  • I can go with Martins suggestion. We each do our own set-up.  As far as the 6 hr limit, I know right now I'll probably cheat on that one.  
    If we do decide to do a still life challenge, here's a video I found to be very interesting.  At mark 23:27 he shows how to light the display.  I actually bought that lightings/tripod/barn door set.  I just got it and tried it out today.  It's fantastic.

The barn door attachment is the best part.  I also bought the dimmer attachment but wish I hadn't. I purchased through B & H.  LTM Pepper 100w Fresnel Light, LTM 4-Leaf Barndoor FPepper 100w, Impact ESR Lamp (100w/120-130v)bulbs, and Impact 9.5' HD Air-Cushioned Light Stand-B.
    PaulBKaustav
  • Hey @Ronna what have you learned about still life lighting since posting about your diy still life shadow box? Anythinf you would do differently? I'm planning on building one too
  • Are you talking about the PVC pipe?  I think I would have made it a little taller. It's nice because I can clip fabric to it on any side I want and it's sturdy.  That stovepipe lighting contraption I made for the top to shine down onto the subject works ok. I always had trouble though.  It took a long time to get what I wanted.  Lots of finagling.  Now that I have this new lighting shown above in the video, I'll never use the top lighting now.  This is so much better.  That barn door attachment has four sides which can be moved independently of each other.  This light was very expensive though.  There may be a cheaper option out there.  I don't know.  Did this answer your question? 
  • SIX BLOOMIN HOURS????? 
    BoudiccaKaustavedavisonmarieb
  • edited January 13
    @BOB73 discussion has moved on a little but I meant one common item and not a photo in particular. If anyone wants to paint from life then they can paint from it.
  • Only six hours of actual painting doesn't sound like much for some of us. :#  But I guess if the picture is fairly small and we've done all the drawing and mixing it should be enough. And it would encourage the sort of brushwork that characterizes Sargent's work.
  • Six hours should be enough for one modern object. If everyone paints on an 8X10 then I guess the painting will done in three hours. 
  • Don't forget you are a lot faster than some of us @Kaustav! :p
    michalis
  • Six hours! Now that is really in the spirit of 'challenge', especially for me. I don't really mind what we do, whatever it is i'm sure I'll learn something new. I like @Kaustav's idea of having a set canvas size - that will make it interesting when comparing paintings.
  • edited January 13
    @Richard_P you can't do much if the canvas is small. Just in abbreviation. How much can it take? That's why I proposed one object rather than a complex still life. Artist can be creative about the subject matter.
  • What happened to "Sargent" style? Is that off the table now?
    Kaustav
  • I don't think so...that's the best part of the challenge @BOB73
    BOB73Kaustav
  • Glad of that @edavison, but I really hate trying to keep track of how much time I actually spend painting. Besides I doze off a lot (good thing we have SDM). I like the idea of a modern artifact though.
    Kaustavanwesha
  • I understand about being worried about tracking time. It was mentioned in here perhaps just limiting painting time to one week, I'm hoping that's what we'll go with. I liked the 6 hour idea at first but I think a week might make more sense since everyone paints at very different speeds. @BOB73