Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Trying a Vermeer out of Acrylics

So in this painting I tried to use the DMP method but had lots of trouble with the values drying darker as I was painting. I learned one thing though, staining a canvas is essentiel or sometimes you try to adjust the values but your perspective is so biased by the white canvas. Hoping to get feedbacks good or bad.. please the bad ones first I love them they are the most constructive. 

Comments

• Nice work. Proportions seem to be just right. Slow down to make sure that colors and values in her face/lips are correct.  I can see how using acrylics could make color checking difficult. Looking forward to seeing your next one. 
    PaulB
  • You definitely have the likeness, keep going 
  • The darkest values in the skin on her face need to be darker, so there is much range from the darks to the lights. Look at that more in the next painting :)
    Verratti
  • thanks xxgooseyxx. I made sure to get the proportions juste right because I saw lots of acrylic repro of this and looked way off so I new the drawing was a key point. 
  • I totaly agree with you Richard_P. I also think she looks to orange and the values are a bit to high. I started with a darker skin ton for the shadow but got scared away. Such a newbie haha I'll get it right eventually 
  • Verratti said:
    ... I started with a darker skin ton for the shadow but got scared away. Such a newbie haha I'll get it right eventually 
    This is the beauty of following DMP.  You color match every step, you get it right first time, and don't need to go back and change it.  Embrace the process.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • The proportions look very good. The planes of the face look a bit flat. I imagine it's really hard to get the subtlety of gradation in acrylics that you can get in oils.  
  • well, the picture is awful quality. In real the face isn't that orange at all and since the quality of the picture is bad, you can't see all the subtle variations in skin tons on the face. I think maybe to subtle what makes it look flat. 
  • edited January 14
    @Verratti, I hope I didn't come across as overly negative. I think you've done a really good job. Better than I could do. And I'm sure there's a lot of subtlty that doesn't come across in the photo. What I meant was that acrylic is probably not the best medium if you are trying to copy  a famous old masterpiece in oil. Have a look at @Richard_P's version of this that he did in oils.  It's amazing. I don't know that he could have achieved this in acrylic - not because he lacks technique but simply because of the different properties of the two mediums.
    I look forward to seeing more of your work.  :)
  • @tassieguy oh nono of corse I didn't take that as negative. If it was in any ways, its still very appreciated for its constructiveness. Im more then open to critics. Yes acrylics are hard to work with and I lack experience since this was only my 3rd painting ever. Im gonna buy some oil paint tomorrow with better brush( I used my kids brush that was super cheap from the dollar store). Any suggestions for mediums though ? 
  • Cheers, @Verratti.

If, like me, you are not using Geneva paints Mark has a helpful page with medium recipes here: http://www.drawmixpaint.com/supplylist/international.html

:)

• @Verratti, I won’t be possible to match your values accurately as the acrylic will dry darker, as you have found. If you mix the correct value when the paint is wet, and then lighten it, you would need to lighten every brush stroke to the same degree. This will make painting so very difficult and probably not work. You will be very discouraged. Do you always work in Acrylic, or do you paint in oils also.  :)
  • @marieb I havent tried oil painting yet. I just got all my supplies but havent come around to trying them out yet. 
    marieb