Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

hello from Canada

Hey everyone, Im new to painting and found Carder's videos on youtube and his web page. I learnt painting last year in college for a really crappy class with acrylics. Unlike Mark, his method was all about blending. Result is really bad in my opinion. I still never tried using oil and intend to go all in on Mark carder's method. I love painting and would love to learn as much as possible. I never checked my values before and juste painted like a true beginner. I intend to use this forum oftenly to get your advices seen how good you people are in painting like I would love to paint. heres some of what I've donne for ma class last year. 

Comments

• Welcome. This work isn't as crappy as you might think. You will learn from Carder and see improvement very soon.
    Flatty
  • edited January 8
    Hi, @Verratti. Welcome to the forum. :) 

I agree with @BOB73 - these are not crappy works, just early works. Follow the Carder technique and you will notice rapid improvement in your realist work. :)
  • Welcome to DMP :) that first painting with the man in red I actually really like. If you tried that same subject using the DMP method I think it would turn out awesome, we're you working from a photo?
  • thanks everyone Edavison actually its supposed to be an acrylic reproduction of SaintJerome from Caravaggio. But my source image was very small and on a computer. I still dont have oil paint and im trying to get a hold of some before I try out the carder method. Acrylic tends to darken little when drying and dries so fast that I always lose half my paint right on my pallet. Im a big fan of chiaroscuro though and would love to work more in some sorte of a caravagism way but without all the religiousness. 
    PaulBedavison
  • With acrylics, I also suffer from the fast drying palette thing. What works for me is a layer of cling film on the palette, followed by a layer or two of wet kitchen towel, followed by a layer of silicon kitchen paper. Hold the sandwich down with spring clips. Enough moisture will leach through the silicon paper to keep acrylic moist. Ugly, but works! Yes, I know you can buy palettes a bit like this this, but I like to improvise!
    Verratti