Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Garlic “still life”

Started a garlic “still life” from a photograph. 14x18 oil on canvas, 4.5 hours. It turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. Im debating on whether or not to  keep going or leaving it alone. I’m finding it difficult to keep my whites/brights pure when working wet on wet. Excuse the glare 
movealonghomeriorautchetanedavisonFlattyElizaSummermelTsandwichtassieguyJC_Pitre

Comments

• riorio -
    edited January 7
    Keep going. I like the simplicity of the motif.
    mattyblueedavison
  • I’m having trouble color matching the warm yellow/white colors to the photograph, they always end up too grey or too blue. Any suggestions?
  • In my experience warm grays are far more yellow/orange then we expect. It really becomes apparent when your color matching and you hold up the colors you think are right to the photograph. 

I did a painting recently that had a lot of warm grays in it. What I did is started by mixing a strong yellow/orange color and then slowly graying that color down until it was right. It's much easier that way as opposed to mixing a gray and trying to add yellow or orange to that gray to warm it up. 

And remember, you just have to trust your color matching. Don't worry if the colors you mix look way to yellow or orange, because if your color matching is accurate then it will look like a nice warm gray when you put it on the canvas and get all the values in the right spot. 
    jswartzartWishiwaspaintingPaulBmattyblue
  • Thank you! I’ll try that, I think you’re right because all my other colors I start dark and gradually step them up, so I’ll try and step down to get to the yellow/orange value and see if that works.
    edavison
  • This is well done and the lighting is very interesting. 
    mattyblue
  • I love how this painting turned out! And I'm so glad that worked for you :) 
    mattyblue
  • Hey this is looking really good. I definitely like the warmth you just added. I know for color matching, Mark Carder recommends laminating your picture and really dabbing it on there to get it right if needed. Well sometimes I slip my picture into a clear binder pocket and then dab the paint on there. I was doing sky on my latest horse and it seriously took me 40 paint dabs to get the exact color of blue sky. You just wouldn’t think there were that many shades of light blue or of garlic white.... anyway that’s my suggestion for getting the yellowish white right but it appears you’ve adjusted it and it’s looking great. 
    mattyblue
  • @melTsandwich I understand your frustration of the 40 dabs of paint lol. I have a large piece of glass that I set on my drafting table and place my photo underneath it. (I know the glare is horrible but that’s what I have to work with now) My issue with this painting was that the value changes were so gradual, frequent, and diffused, that I just did not have the patience to mix those steps and just created new ones on the fly. I really needed to mix my shadow colors greener and make my yellows warmer so that’s what most of my 8 hours of painting this involved. You have to get it wrong before you get it right! Here’s a pic of my pallet I used for the painting I did before this one:
  • Ah! I love this! I have a drafting table with glass too. Great idea! And I like your motto about getting it wrong before we get it right. I am hoping to get a little quicker though at getting the color
    mattyblue
  • 40 dabs of color sounds right, some colors are just not easy to match.  But the more you do this, the more you color check, the quicker you approach the right color because you develop a sense of "a little brown and a touch of white", is what the next adjustment is, and so on.  It gets easier.

I'd rather do 40 dabs to get the right one than 35 dabs, and get it wrong.  After almost a year now, I think I'm probably down to about 3 to 5 attempts on most colors.  It's worth taking the time - too many wrong colors, and my painting looks like a cartoon.
    mattybluealsartjswartzartedavison
  • I like the simplicity of this one.
    mattyblue
  • @tassieguy as much as I fussed about painting this, it was actually a sort of reprieve for me because of the simplicity 
    tassieguy