Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Near open window - almost finished

Near open window
100cm x 100cm
Oil on canvas

Reference picture was taken by me
Dress tailored by me
Hairstyle made by my
Girl created by me :)

This is the biggest drawing I've ever managed to finish (previous my 100x100 drawing ended up in the fireplace)

There are some mistakes I am planning to fix, maybe you'll point some more. All kind of comments are very welcome.

Sorry for my bad english :)

MikeDerbytassieguyKaustavmichalisPaulBdencalbixbyriojswartzartSummerBOB73ForgivenessRoxy

Comments

• Lovely! You have a distinctive way of painting that is very nice :)
  • @Richard_P, it's interesting, what do you mean by distinctive way of painting? For me my painting seams ordinary, too much overdone. I'd like to paint with souch loose brushstrokes like @Kaustav does, but I am not able...
  • I think it's distinctive as well and by that I mean beautiful and personal.  It is all your own and you are fairly consistent.  I might refine it somewhat, as you see fit, but not to the extent of painting like someone else.
    This painting is excellent.  The linear perspective is correct.  The sheer curtain is wonderful and makes me quite jealous.  The figures are very well painted and having made so much of it yourself I must say that I am impressed with the broad range of your talents  :). If there is one change I would have made it would be to have the girl look at us and the dog look away.  As it is, I find myself focusing more on the dog than the girl.
    michalis
  • I feel that you should leave it alone. Looking at that photo, I think it is absolutely complete and there's no need for retouching.
    Summer
  • That's gorgeous, @jarube!  The curtain, the little girl's hair, the dog, the reflections on the floor ... All beautiful.  :) 
    Summer
  • When you paint areas you have a streaky effect following the direction of the material, skin, etc. That seems quite unusual to me, but nice :)
  • My favorite part is the floor and where the curtain meets it. Truly lovely. The whole painting is.
  • I am looking at this beautiful painting for about 5 minutes and I am unable to find a mistake :) Don't change a thing.
    Summer
  • Yes, I agee, @michalis. I can FEEL the breeze coming through that window!
    michalis
  • That is beautiful.  Great work.  Huge, too.

The wood trim between wall and floor needs its lines straightened, and currently looks larger on the right side and should not.
    BOB73
  • edited January 6
    Oh, yes, you're right, @PaulB. I didn't see that at first. Maybe because I was looking at it on my cell phone. Happily,  it's easily fixed.
  • The whole thing is light and airy like the subject suggests. Your painting style is what gives it that feeling as much as anything else so that is why your style is distinctive. Loose brush strokes and more abstraction would not have improved this painting. If I wanted to change anything it would be the flooring but only to keep the direction of brush strokes the same as the grain of the wood. the colors and values in the floor are very well done.
  • edited January 7
    Looks great apart from the dogs paw on the girls shoulder. As a small image it looks very realistic but that paw is noticeably not good enough when zoomed in. Very nice painting though good values and I like the composition

Or is that not the dogs paw but something else? Ear? I like it without that blue spot on the girls shoulder
  • I think it's the dog's ear. I would eliminate it so we see the nice line of the girl's shoulder.
    movealonghome
  • I think it’s part of the dress? Matches the ribbon. That why it doesn’t look like a well painted paw  :)
  • edited January 7
    Lovely painting and subject. 
    I am finding that I am looking more at the sheer curtains as the diffuse light comes through. Wouldn’t some of that light catch a bit more on the girl and her dress, thus making her more of the focal point?
    I’m not talking about a major reworking, just a few catches of light.
  • jarubejarube -
    edited January 7
    @Richard_P, @MikeDerby, @BOB73 - thank you for your insights. I'm just beginning my journey of painting, looking to others, observing and finding the painting style I like. I prefer strong, loose brushstrokes. I'd like to do the same by my own, but  I can't. Maybe personality and character determines the way person creates art, and my style is ok too :) Your support adds a lot of confidence, thank you :)

@PaulB - that plinth board took a lot of my attention during the painting too. The left side is lit from above, so it looks narrower. Just now I took a ruler and measured - left side is a little bit wider than the right. But you were right about curvature, plinth bottom needs to be straightened in the middle.

@movealonghome, @tassieguy, @Boudicca - the strange thing near dog's face is a part of the dress, the picture below explains the situation

@Kaustav, @tassieguy, @Freeman, @michalis, @Kaustav - thank you for your comments!
  • To paint looser you need three things.  The first, give yourself permission.  Two and three come from Sargent, use a bigger brush and stand well away to make decisions about what and where to make the next stroke.  There is plenty more to know but those three things will make you looser.
    tassieguy
  • @MikeDerby, thank you for advice.
    I understand, what you mean, and I tried to do this in a similar way. But these independent strokes work for me in hair only. In all other cases after putting a loose stroke I decide that it looks totaly wrong in color, shape and ruins 3D effect, and try to blend.
    Maybe it is hard to believe, but I use really big brushes. But after a wide stroke I turn my brush on its edge (I use flats), grab another color, and fix fix fix :) 
    movealonghome
  • Ahh, you are not giving yourself permission.  You must allow yourself to fail.  Also, a really large knife edge brush becomes the smallest rigger when held that way.  But enough from me.  Mark says to spend most all your time in brush preparation.  Get everything right before you try to paint.  Then follow Sargent, who says make every stroke a drawing stroke.  I think the rest is practice.  You are very good so no worries.  Just be you and it will be good.