Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Second attempt

found a picture I really liked on the web and wanted to paint it.. 16x20 boat on the harbor
FlattymariebElizaRoxyBOB73jswartzartmichalisrio

Comments

• Flatty said:
    I like it!
    Thanks! I’d like to get more realism in my paintings but I lose interest after investing around 15-20 hours on one painting. The artists curse is real!
  • @ Marty blue if you want to paint realism you will have to invest more time. Mix your steps, slow down, make sure you have your values relight before you put each bit of paint onto your canvas. this painting is so much better than your first one ...well done :)
    mattyblue
  • Very well done. Some of the values are a little off but that could happen in nature with the sun that low in the sky and the water reflections contribute to that too. one of the many problems (benefits) with photos is lens filters and exaggerated exposures. This is a nice scene and all the frustrated mariners out there will love it.
    mattyblue
  • If you would really like good pointers on weak spots, we would need to see your reference material.  There is little to say to help you obtain amazing realism without the reference photo.  Just to look at the painting it seems to be very pleasant. It seems to have a color book look to it that I like, but don't know if that is what you want.
  • If you would really like good pointers on weak spots, we would need to see your reference material.  There is little to say to help you obtain amazing realism without the reference photo.  Just to look at the painting it seems to be very pleasant. It seems to have a color book look to it that I like, but don't know if that is what you want.
    I struggle often with the artists curse and hate my paintings throughout the entire process because I am usually aware of the mistakes I’m making while I’m doing them but it’s often out of haste. I usually only have about 5 hours late at night two days a week to paint. But I get past them being confident I’ll enjoy it with others in the end. Here’s the reference photo I used:

bixby
  • The haste is from the influence of tv painters.  I suffered from that for a time as well.  DMP gives you permission to slow down.  Consider yourself to be on a journey.  You have completed one course of study which taught you many useful basic techniques.  You have now moved on to another, advanced course of study which will use what you know, expand and refine it, add new skills and require a different sort of focus.  Knowing this helps to tamp down the curse and provides an opportunity to step up to the next level.  Enjoy the ride!
    mattybluebirdman
  • The sea, the mountains,the sky and the distant boats are beautifully painted! The boat at the foreground is nice too but I am sure you could paint it better. It's much darker in the photo than in your painting. Overall is a nice try though :)
    mattyblue
  • michalis said:
    The sea, the mountains,the sky and the distant boats are beautifully painted! The boat at the foreground is nice too but I am sure you could paint it better. It's much darker in the photo than in your painting. Overall is a nice try though :)
    The distant boats were probably the most enjoyable to paint in this because it didn’t allow me to play with all the values, I simply put them down and left them alone. It’s got me thinking maybe I should do smaller, more distant paintings. If I could have managed to paint the boat in the foreground the way I did the smaller ones I think it might have turned out a little better
  • Seeing the source photo hasn't changed my impression. You did a good job. Considering your time constraints, you did an excellent job.
    mattyblue
  • BOB73 said:
    Seeing the source photo hasn't changed my impression. You did a good job. Considering your time constraints, you did an excellent job.
    Thank you! I’ve got about 15-18 hours invested in this one, that’s with staining the canvas, drawing, and two painting sessions! Right now I’m contemplating if it’s worth my time to try and do an actual realistic painting, or stick with the impressionist/abstract style that demands less time. 
  • I think it’s the final touches that will lift this painting. The sun reflecting off the boat is, to my mind, what the original photographer was inspired by. It wouldn’t take much to pop in the warmer, brighter values on the sections of the boat that catch that light.
    Also the rigging on the boat looks a bit rough- what brush, medium, method are you using to get them in?
  • Boudicca said:
    I think it’s the final touches that will lift this painting. The sun reflecting off the boat is, to my mind, what the original photographer was inspired by. It wouldn’t take much to pop in the warmer, brighter values on the sections of the boat that catch that light.
    Also the rigging on the boat looks a bit rough- what brush, medium, method are you using to get them in?
    I agree, the warm color of light in the window is what inspired me to paint this photograph. I guess I just ran out of patience with the painting and used the values I had on my pallet instead of breaking out maybe some cad orange or Indian yellow to try and get a vibrant color. The rigging was the very last thing I did, and I was pretty frustrated at that point so I left the mistakes. I used a pallet knife to get the straight thin line and it smeared where the canvas is a little bowed towards the edge.
  • Ok. For future reference, if you are painting rigging- or othe fine long lines, a rigger(or liner) brush, paint thinned to a flowing consistency, and a mahl stick to keep your hand steady will help you get those lines in.
    mattyblue