Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

I've selected these four as my next WIPs for 2018.

Fellow painters:  There are five in the series in all and they are just for our own home.  The sideboard will be eliminated in the one.  Comments will be appreciated  because I'm too close to the subject matter to be objective. 

Thanks for your honest opinions.

Summer
Forgiveness

Comments

• I am really looking forward to a WIP from Summer.  REALLY I am.  You have done the first (your icon), and that pose is better, but this would be a good painting too.  The second has too much glare on the dog's back, even tho' its a pretty good pose too, so I think you could probably pull it off.  The third and fourth, well, lets just say they are not suitable for a family audience.  :) 
    I hope this is the feedback you were looking for.
    Summer
  • Thanks Mike.  Yes, that's what I was looking for.  My husband feels the same way about three and four.  I knew I was too close to be objective.  I just remember the fright I felt when I took these shots that she was going to fall off but she had it all under control.  Summer
  • I took these photos before DMP and my new dslr so I'm only going to use them as a guide. The finished paintings will be better hopefully. 
    Forgiveness
  • I agree with Mike, but I like the pose and composition of number two the best. 
    Summer
  • I don't mix styles when using the DMP method of painting any more so these should be an improvement.
  • edited December 2017
     I like the 1st and 2nd best, but would feel better about  the 1st if that entire shot and pose were centered for balance in the composition. For the 2nd, couldn't the photo be improved upon to minimize the glare on the dog's back through further processing, when I squint it is not so severe.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2017
    Very good observations.  :)   A series of three instead of five. 
  • I rationalized about the last two for sure thinking since I have never seen anything like it before that I would be the first--haha.
  • 1 is cropped a little tight on top.  2 is good, and is the only image with light and shadow.  3 & 4 are out of focus and if you remove the sideboard, it's going to be difficult to convey a dog being playful and climbing over the top of the couch - there just isn't enough information in the composition to even suggest a couch.  I'd also rather see the face.
    SummerBOB73
  • #3 could be done as an abstract if it was fairly tightly cropped in.  Sometimes when it takes people a second to figure out what they are looking at, it gives them a sense of satisfaction and a chuckle when they "see it".  I'd want to do the couch a different colour though....maybe not the type of thing you are wanting to do.
    Summer
  • I like number four, the abstract quality. However I think it would work better if the couch was an old dark red chesterfield. As the first in a series it tells a story when followed by two then one.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 4
    I was wanting to do something with the couch as well.  Thanks.  The dog hanging off the couch, I also thought to put a blue sky in the background to give it a real scary feel.  I'm going to play around with these images surroundings, but not the images themselves except where flaws are obvious.  Thanks for your ideas and comments.  They have been very helpful.   
    Forgiveness
  • These all make me smile. Gorgeous dog, @Summer. As realist paintings the first two would obviously work. However, three and four have abstract qualities that you might be ;able to make something of but I'm not sure how I'd go about it.
    Summer
  • Thanks everyone.  She's wasted on us with her circus potential.  I'm glad she made you laugh Rob.  I've got them in post processing now and I'm really taking your suggestions to heart and trying many options.  I'll post the changes before I begin painting to get your feedback again.  Summer 
    Forgiveness
  • If the dog could be taught old tricks, I think the concept of 3/4 could be improved if there were a mirror behind the couch so we could see the  pooch's face. Alternatively a series of two; one from the back of the couch showing the head/face and 3 or 4.
    Summer
  • Thanks @Bob.  That would be nice.  I'll see what affinity can do with some old photos that might work. 
  • I like the very first photo, the dog with the laces, but I would change the carpet background so the jack coat stands and pops of the painting, looking forward to seeing this @Summer
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 1
    Thanks @alsart.  I'll give it a try.  I'm using features in Affinity that are new to me but really fun.  :)
  • I have just started using affinity too @Summer
    its a cool tool so far but I am new to photo editing, it has helped with my color mixing already with the color picker tool

Summer
  • You have an awesome dog @Summer :3 What a character she is.
    Summer