Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Artistic New Year Resolutions

Only a few days to go so do people have any New Year Resolutions with regards to their art?

In 2018 I would like to improve my drawing, sense of composition and move away to some extent from using a computer to help with my paintings. Also I'd like to learn more about great artists of the past and present and broaden my knowledge about art. :)
PaulBSummerForgivenesstassieguy

Comments

• I have some general goals, which include making use of larger brushes, improving my color matching, and trying more painterly paintings.  A specific goal I have is to enter a small, local competition, for the fun of it.
    Summertassieguymarieb
  • Continue learning more assistive technology related to producing decent paintings, have something for critique on DMP throughout the year.  I really like the beginners Carder method for realism, the suggested palette colors, the whole deal, so will be looking for criticisms related to that mindset.  I have prepared canvasses and canvas stain that I need to use up before I change over to aluminum solely.  Hyper realism will have to wait. 
    PaulBtassieguy
  • I hope to paint more and paint large paintings( when I can), I need to explore and extend improvement in composition, hope to complete yet anew pochade box ready for Spring (May/June). Stick to what subject matter I would really prefer to paint and win more frequently, against procrastinations, at being selfish and making better decisions.
    Summer
  • I wish to paint all my paintings of 2018 from life and outdoors. I want to get rid of the use of photography by 70%. 
    tassieguySummerBarbarajswartzart
  • Get off my butt and go get some glass so I can finally make a good palette that is easy to clean. My old wooden one is beyond redemption. I've tried disposible paper palettes but they crease, the corners curl and they are white. I wish Mark would send his stuff down to Oz. Then I could buy one of his.  I think I'll buy enough glass to make two or three.  :)
  • edited December 2017
    Haha @tassieguy that is a good one. I've never used a wooden palette and honestly I'm not even sure how they work. I've always imagined the wood just sucking up all the oil lol! Glass palettes are really awesome.

My goal by this summer is to have 10 paintings in my floral series completed and have a website up for myself and be ready to approach some galleries. Entering some competitions for fun also sounds like a good idea @PaulB . I need to start researching that and figure out how it's done.

Thanks for the thread Richard!
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    My goal is to do more portraits this year. 
    I also will push to get some work in my local galleries? The second goal is a lofty one but I'm up for the challenge:-)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2017
    Kaustav said:
    I wish to paint all my paintings of 2018 from life and outdoors. I want to get rid of the use of photography by 70%. 
    When I read your New Year's resolution I thought of you and this quote.  I'll look closely at the paintings you do without camera assistance.  I guess there will be more color notes to replace the reference photos.  I have too much invested in the photo route, but I like what you are doing and I can see why. 

"Simultaneous contrast is one reason paintings from life are different than paintings done solely from photographs taken by the camera. What our human eyes perceive is very different from what the mechanical lens of the camera "sees."  Not only are we able to see nuances of value better than the camera, but we see the effects of simultaneous contrast, whereas the camera only captures the actual color created by the physics of reflected light.  So while it is helpful to use a viewfinder to isolate a color in order to identify it and paint it, [or Mark Carder's color checker] it is also useful to remember how we perceive color and to bring the concept of simultaneous contrast into your own painting by infusing your color with some of the complement of the adjacent color."  More here:

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-use-simultaneous-contrast-in-painting-4019832

Summer

• For Christmas, my daughters gave me a small but thick sketch book with 350 pages each with a subject for "inspiration" and challenge. The first page? "Angel's Wings" my first thought was of Mike Derby's Christmas still-life. Obviously I'll not be drawing that one from life. So that is my resolution; fill the book with a drawing a day. I got three charcoal pencils with the book. Will that be enough? Happy New Year.
    SummerPaulBBarbara
  • @BOB73

I'm glad they are encouraging you :) We do hope to see some of your art in 2018.. Even if it's just a hat.  :p
    BOB73
  • Richard_P said:
    @BOB73

I'm glad they are encouraging you :) We do hope to see some of your art in 2018.. Even if it's just a hat.  :p
    Now there is an idea Richard.  A different hat on each page for 365 days.  Can't wait to see the professional ones you have worn personally, @BOB73.

Summer
    PaulBBOB73
  • Oh no Summer! You don't have to encourage him that much!! :open_mouth:
    SummerBOB73
  • Actually I have two such projects in mind. I always tease my daughters about all the things I did (hats I wore) before I was their age (20's now) So it'd be a sort of historical personal biography in hats. I've had to give back most of the more interesting ones but I think I can model them from memoy but I need a support 14 inches high and 43 feet long. Think how much bigger it would be had I been born a conehead. But the book has a prompt for each drawing. If there are any hats, I'll post them in the drawing section. My cousin had a doozy... it was a baseball cap with beer can holders and long loops of tubing for straws. I never had any like that.
    Summer
  • @tassieguy I made myself a palette with a piece of glass from an old picture, put a neutral coloured piece of construction paper under it and heavily tapped the edges and back with duck tape. Works great. Took no time at all.  
  • My goal is to better focus in my studio. I know that, if I can get myself into a routine, I will enjoy the whole process of creating much more. I used to draw three things, very quickly, every morning and somehow I've gotten away from that. My husband gave me a beautiful journal for Christmas so I will include a few sketches with my daily written entry.
    Summer
  • Take one step at a time,...
  • @BOB73 Hope this reminder will get you started:

Summer
    mariebBOB73
  • I am determined to paint, and paint,also to draw more. @tassieguy I use the glass turntable from an old microwave and a glass shelf from a fridge as pallets. I painted the back of then with canvas stain. 
    Summer
  • edited December 2017
    Thanks, @marieb. If I had an old microwave turntable or fridge shelf I would certainly give them a try. Alas, I shall have to buy glass or try to find a junk yard.
    marieb

• Unless you plan to constantly, and completely scrape off your palette(s), the matching canvas stain on the underside seems a little excessive to me. This becomes even more difficult if you are using mediums like liquin or galkyd, that seemingly bond well with glass.

I understand the purpose, but in reality, it's quite a commitment to maintain whatever effectiveness it may have had.
  • Tempered glass shelves and doors from used furniture, entertainment centers work well but 24X14 X1/8in shelves are less than 10usd I find the real problem is getting them at the right height and angle.
    [Deleted User]marieb
  • I had pieces of glass cut for me. $10 each for 14x22 inch with rounded corners and edges. Theyre awesome.

@martenvisser at first I didnt understand what you were saying but now i get it - you dont clean your palette? Is it completely covered in paint? I keep mine clean and it really takes little to no effort at all with isopropyl paper towels and a scraper. Even when completely covered with dry paint it only takes a few minutes to completely clean
  • I had pieces of glass cut for me. $10 each for 14x22 inch with rounded corners and edges. Theyre awesome.

@martenvisser at first I didnt understand what you were saying but now i get it - you dont clean your palette? Is it completely covered in paint? I keep mine clean and it really takes little to no effort at all with isopropyl paper towels and a scraper. Even when completely covered with dry paint it only takes a few minutes to completely clean
    I do...but never totally cleaned off.  Laziness builds upon laziness....:)

I want to be mindful about being able to paint outside of my 'perfectly' set-up, perfectly comfortable studio.

In other words, I've learned that I don't see value any different by needing to standardize the color of underpaint.  

I don't believe that every canvas needs to be stained with the same neutral color.

Just a personal thing...
  • As for the thread....no resolutions but plenty of changes.

-Moved to a wall easel
    -Black wall behind my work
    -Will expand my palette slightly
    -Will use more gestural strokes and knives
    -My lights are no longer on the ceiling, they are clamped to microphone stands that can be moved around the studio floor....better options to customize for varying piece sizes.
    - I am reducing the overall brightness in the studio and will be adding one warmer bulb to come off 5000k....which I find a tad blue.
    -Larger works too...first up will be a 4' x 6'.
    BOB73SummermariebPaulB

• Unless you plan to constantly, and completely scrape off your palette(s), the matching canvas stain on the underside seems a little excessive to me. This becomes even more difficult if you are using mediums like liquin or galkyd, that seemingly bond well with glass.

I understand the purpose, but in reality, it's quite a commitment to maintain whatever effectiveness it may have had.         I wipe off my palette as soon as my current painting is finished. The paint is usually still soft, any paint that has hardened, I scrape off as I go...it leaves more clean space. No effort at all really, I mix my watercolours on a white palette and oils or acrylic on a tinted one, when I become more proficient at painting I may not do this, but as long as the palette under stain lasts then I will go with it !  

• As for the thread....no resolutions but plenty of changes.

-Moved to a wall easel
    -Black wall behind my work
    -Will expand my palette slightly
    -Will use more gestural strokes and knives
    -My lights are no longer on the ceiling, they are clamped to microphone stands that can be moved around the studio floor....better options to customize for varying piece sizes.
    - I am reducing the overall brightness in the studio and will be adding one warmer bulb to come off 5000k....which I find a tad blue.
    -Larger works too...first up will be a 4' x 6'.        No pressure then !!!!

• Here's a small change:  Use smaller puddles of paint and waste less.  I'm finding that if the pile of color lasts for more than a few days, it picks up so much fluff that I spend too much time with the tweezers picking it off paintings.  I use a palette cover, but it sits uncovered for hours at a time.

The red is just too large a puddle, and it's half fluff at this point.  So I'll never consume all the red, I'll just abandon it.
  • @PaulB the dust here on Maui can be bad too, I use an air purifier in the room, it does not stop everything but it does help and it was cheap from Costco - filter still going after 6 months and I started using a cheap inverted coffee disposable cup over my mixes.

BOB73
  • I don't think I respected this question, and besides it will be a good thread to look back upon in 2019.
    so I want to continue learning, get better (proficient ) with color mixing, improve at drawing and produce some good (just good) paintings - a true goal would be to elevate to the level that I can produce a good oil portrait - lets see how the year pans out,...
  • Re: Fluff and dust in paint piles, @PaulB . I recommend changing Air filters for central air/heat units. I use an oxygen generator to help me breathe and the merchant told me I have to control the dust in my house better because the oxygen concentrator has no dust filter. Using HEPA filters for my A/C unit and changing them every 1-2 months has made a visible change. I bathe my 2 dogs more often too and that is a help. a big contributor to indoor dust is a clothes dryer. make sure it is vented to the outside and no lint is being expelled through connections (big fire hazard too) also, clean the lint trap on the dryer more frequently. Since getting rid of these fuzzballs I don't sneeze nearly as much.
    edavison
  • Try to take more care and slow down when painting. 
    That’s my resolution for 2018. 
    marieb