Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

3hr 1st complete life drawing

This is one of my recent attempts at drawing a fellow human. Rendered and all.
Time we had was three hours. Which is.. Pretty short for the kind of work they wanted. Ie:stupidly detailed.
Wouldn't say it's one of my best life drawings (which i might post down the road)
But, a good learning experience nonetheless.

Disclaimer: although this might sound like a bunch of excuses. The"model" who posed for us, barely touches 5 feet. Has a cleft palette,a glass eye, bowed legs,a tad bit malnourished and has a terribly long midsection compared to his legs.
No.. This is not a cartoon character.

He is paid a 100 Indian rupees which is equivalent to a bit more than 1 dollar per day. We had him for 5 days, out of which we were given one day to draw and render .

This is not a joke
Thank you

pop05dencal

Comments

• click on the file name not the thumb. The image is sideways but not so bad that you can't tell it is a good drawing. At least at this angle the model's anatomical shortcomings are not readily apparent as much as his poverty. Very well done. 
    H.M
  • Thanks Bob
    For some reason everything I past from my phone gets flipped.
  • Thanks Kingston
    I will get back to this tomorrow, only due to the fact that thinking about my college causes me to go into maniacal rage.
    Which is a big no no for me before bedtime.
    So goodnight and good day

• Disclaimer: although this might sound like a bunch of excuses. The"model" who posed for us, barely touches 5 feet. Has a cleft palette,a glass eye, bowed legs,a tad bit malnourished and has a terribly long midsection compared to his legs.
    No.. This is not a cartoon character.

This really made me laugh. Great job though, looks great!
  • That's a good drawing, @H.M .

I feel sorry for the model. I wish they would pay him more.
    jswartzart
  • I think it is a very good drawing!!!

I thought the same thing @tassieguy !  And I do hope they gave him breaks every 20 minutes - 20 minutes is a second for the artists but a lifetime for the model.  I saw one life drawing class online where the model never took a break - she was obviously uncomfortable, tired and no one seemed to care.  They were treating her like she was a bottle.

H.M.  I think you did a fabulous job!!!  How interesting that his torso and other body parts were so unique - now that is great observation!
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2017
    Drawing well rendered.  :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2017
    @H.M  Here is a little perspective on the matter of perspective using the Pietà as an example:

"If you look closely, you can see that Mary's head is a bit too small for her very large body. When designing Mary's measurements, Michelangelo could not impose realistic proportions and have her cradle her adult son as he envisioned. So, he had to make her—the statue's support—oversized. To play down this poetic license on her form, Michelangelo carved out sheets of gentle draping garments, camouflaging Mary's true fullness." 

The history of art is replete with incorrect proportions in drawings, paintings, and sculpture.  Don't let that stop you!  I think accuracy would be required in the field of medical illustration.  I admire the attention to detail that you have shown in this drawing.  

Summer
    tassieguyJuliannaIrishcajun
  • edited December 2017
    Quite so! And given the model's physical condition (as explained by @H.M in the original post) it's to be expected that he is not going to look like Michelangelo's David. I think it's a good drawing.
    Julianna
  • Thanks a lot everyone, sorry about the delay.
    I am grateful for all the good things bring said and all the constructive criticism given as well. (Very appreciative)
    It is always difficult making a not so good drawing and putting it up for criticism.

Yes there are mistakes, yes it isn't close to being perfect. Yes one might be able to find flaws quite easily.i have long ways to go. No doudt about it.

All that being said, it is a good experience. And it is my first attempt to draw a fellow human from life at this scale in that time period.
    (Kevin, the three hour period wasn't my choice, it is the choice of a few idiots in charge. We were doing 20 min sketches of the same model for five days and we're suddenly told to do a complete graphite drawing, with details on a rough paper. We were left with around 5 hours,I had lost interest by that point. I guess it shows.)

@Kingston
    We don't have nude studies, apparently we did in the past, but something caused them to stop.i wonder what that was all about.
    You are right, the lighting is broad. That's because we have no single source of lighting. The model is sat on a dias and is illuminated by whatever local light seeps through from the windows and a few tubelights(which have no real effect). Shadows are so soft it is really not visible.
    Features on the models face are also not very clearly visible.
    Obviously.
    Our drawings are bathed in the same light.
    It is faaar different from the model photos I have seen. For the worse.

I could easily post some of my better work. Maybe be praised for them. But that's just an ego trip. And I'm here to improve, just like the rest of you kind folk.

I am grateful, that my journey as an artist is amongst all of you.
    I have so much to learn and so much to share and so I appreciate every little bit of input.

JuliannaSummertassieguy