Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Why paint with a solvent-based medium?

I'm sensitive to solvents so I paint solvent-free, using either linseed or walnut oil as a medium. I've painted both with "regular" oils - Rembrandt, Gamblin, Winsor & Newton - and Geneva oils. Both are great, although nothing beats the smell of Geneva paints and their ease of use. 

I've used solvent-based mediums on a couple of occasions in the past and don't see a big performance benefit over an oil-only medium. I know there's got to be a reason so many folks swear but I don't see the point.

Could an experienced oil painter who has a lot of experience with solvent-based mediums enlighten me?

Thanks!

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited December 2017
    davidgp

solvents are a means of rapidly dispersing the pigment on a dry surface. The second benefit is rapid evaporation, ideally without residue, to leave the oil and pigment to polymerise in due course.

Using oil only and to achieve the same dilution consistency would require too much oil. It would be difficult to keep to the fat over lean rule in this circumstance.

Solvent and pigment is an ideal combo to paint a tonal image by means of rubbing out the highlights and reinforcing the darks wire more pigment/solvent mix.

Denis.

edavisonjswartzart
  • Right. But other than creating underpaintings, for later stages of a painting what is the point?
  • davidgp

Dispersion, evaporation, consistency.

Denis