Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

It Begins.

"Art work is ordinary work done with extraordinary courage." Fear and Art by David Bayles and Ted Orland

I made a website for the beginning of my journey.  www.adifferenceinkind.com 

My goal in art is very simple.  To become the greatest artist in the history of Earth.  I very much look forward to learning everything there is to learn from Mark Carder.  He is a true artist and a fantastic art teacher.

The studio has been swept.  My schedule for art is set: 9:30 am until 4:00 pm in the studio every day Monday - Friday because I do my other work on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm running 15 minutes late today because I spent the last hour working on finishing the website.

Thanks to everyone here as well.  This is a great forum.

Tony
PaulBWishiwaspainting

Comments

• Your goal is higher than mine.  I just want to paint a tree that looks like a tree.  Not there yet.

I hope this means that you share what you learn, and I look forward to seeing your work on your journey.

And I just figured out the 'goat' part of your name now.
    Julianna
  • edited November 2017
    Worth rewatching - 

I think we must all be ambitious in what we are trying to accomplish in our art.  If you look PAST the next step, skip what most students in art are doing and focus.  

After watching that video I painted the following on the wall of my studio:  Be An Exceptionalist

And by posting this I also decided to change my next painting from this:

to this: 

Bobby Knight said, "Anyone can be a champion.  But very few are prepared to do what it takes to BECOME a champion."
    Jimmy Johnson said, "From 9 to 5 competition is stiff. At 5 am, 8 pm, and 11 pm there is almost no competition."

Anyone can become the greatest artist in the world by doing more than any other artist has ever done.  I moved into a 200 square foot "apartment" behind my house, and I have a 180 square foot studio.  My wife lives in the house.  I don't need a life. I don't need a house.  I don't need a job.  I don't need to see the latest "Star Wars" movie or watch TV.  I just need need this goal.

... and I need to stain my canvas for the clown painting.  Wish me luck.

Tony
    Wishiwaspainting
  • Good Luck but don't forget where the wife lives.
    tonybluegoatJuliannajswartzart
  • Looking forward to following your journey!
  • Barbara said:
    Looking forward to following your journey!
     Julianna said:
    Go you!
    Thanks,
    Step #1 is to start my next painting this week.  All the dreams in the world don't mean squat without forward movement.
  • Thanks for posting.  I love the work you've done already.
  • Thanks for saying it.  I'm painting.  Switched to oils.  Not posting.  My last attempt to post what I was doing turned into a hot mess on the forum.  Not worth the grief.  Probably just me.  I'm certainly not going to post any WIP since my last attempt.  After being told repeatedly by Kingston that it was a stupid thing to paint the discussion degraded to such an extent that the entire thread was deleted.  I can't say it was a helpful experience.  I don't mind criticism but being attacked isn't worth the grief.

Thanks again... maybe in a few months I'll try again.

Tony
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 2017

My goal in art is very simple.  To become the greatest artist in the history of Earth.

If you don’t mind me rambling: Trying to be the best artist in the world is an understandable goal. I don’t think anyone has figured out who that is to date. I would first ask in what category? In what century? It could be that the best one is only known to God and his or her name never came to light because of an earthquake, flood, or something. Can you identify who the best one is at this time?  Usually that is in the domain of historians to do so, but only usually. Name your own! I had to undergo many adjustments in my thinking with regard to this subject over the years.  I’d say that you have the right attitude to proceed given your youth, energy, and drive. I belong to the group that sees improvement on a day-to-day basis something to be happy about.  Here is a badly mangled quote from somewhere online that might help with your artistic goal of "being the greatest artist in the history of the earth"--some parts of which you have already observed: “Evolve a style in art that is distinctive in a recognizable way. Look closely at other styles first. Style is a single, or a collection of attributes that make the art unique. Each period in the history of art is characterized by the style of some groundbreaking artists. For example, modernism is characterized in part by Cubism, a style developed by Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque. In the visual arts, style is a "...distinctive manner which permits the grouping of works into related categories". ... Style is often divided into the general style of a period, country or cultural group, group of artists or art movement, and the individual style of the artist within that group style. Most stylistic periods are identified and defined later by art historians, but artists may choose to define and name their own style. Cubism on the other hand was a conscious identification made by a few artists; the word itself seems to have originated with critics rather than painters, but was rapidly accepted by the artists.”  Hope this helps with your journey.  And, oh yes, it helps to have people in your life who are true supporters who can help you with daily tasks that take away from the important stuff.  A team sounds good.  DMP is a helpful community that you also may want to hang around in or just visit once in a while.   :)   Summer