Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Rosemary & Co brushes question

I'm putting Rosemary & Co brushes on my Christmas list.  I went to their website and was overwhelmed.  I'm thinking I want brushes for oil painting landscapes.  I know I need to choose from the oil brushes/long handle but which ones would be best.  There are so many different types.  I see they have sets but even that was confusing.  I need your expert opinions. :) And, are their shipping charges high?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited November 2017
    Ronna

Can l recommend this set put together by Michael James Smith

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/michael-james-smith-professional-set

USA Delivery

CostShipping MethodEstimated Time
    £11.05 ($14.23)Fedex2 – 3 Working Days
    £12.45 (~$15.30)Royal Mail Tracked & Signed (USPS)10-14 Working Days

**Tracked: A tracking number will be provided and your parcel must be signed for.

Important Notice

USA CUSTOMERS : As agreed in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 from March 10 2016 de minimis value of a shipment of merchandise imported by one person from UK to USA on one day has been increased to $800.

Denis

RonnaJulianna
  • Ivory is their best seller, stiffer than other synthetic but with a nice spring. I also like eclipse which is a soft imitation mongoose style synthetic brush.
    Ronna
  • Ronna

I wouldn't be without these:

Summer
    RonnaKaustav
  • I recently purchased the Ivory Daggers and the alla prima oil brush set
    SummerRonna
  • You guys are great.  Thank you.
    I just noticed they have gift vouchers.  I'll ask for that.  I saw the Jane Hunt Essentials Set which looked interesting.  It had some Ivory Short Flats and Evergreen Short Flats. That Michael Smith set Denis showed looks really good too.
    When they show the price they also say Ex tax under the price. Does that mean excluding tax?
  • Ronna said:
    That Michael Smith set Denis showed looks really good too.
    I have this set.  It comes with three laughably unusable fan brushes.  I think you if you just price out a couple sizes of everything except fan brushes it comes out cheaper.  But my favorite (and almost only brush I use) is a Rigger that costs £2.50.  Cheap, and last for ages (9 months so far).

I must put in a plug for the Evergreen line they have.  Synthetic fibers, great feel, cruelty-free.
    JuliannaRonna
  • I don't like the idea of natural hair brushes either to be honest. I prefer synthetic.

I've not tried evergreen, although I have seen the difference between them and the Ivory ones at an art show. I find the Eclipse ones much softer which I like as well.
    JuliannaRonna
  • @Ronna ; it gets confusing with the tax - they have a VAT tax but when they ship to the US, that is taken away (I don't understand why residents have to pay 20% more)  there is also an excise tax but I think they are referring to "excluding tax and including tax" prices with that prompt you see.  
    I have purchased several sets and  been pleased with almost all of them - I agree with Paul, those riggers are amazing and I have about 3 sets of those (I use my brush dip and usually have many different paintings going so I don't have to clean them - generally dark, mid and light values in dip so I can just grab them with whatever is needed).    So, riggers for sure!
    I love, LOVE, LOOOVVVEEE  my Michelle Dunaway set - with your landscapes, take a look at her combers etc.... This is the set I purchased:   https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/michelle-dunaways-extended?filter_name=michelle dunaway      

I was lucky enough to have a girlfriend who just came back from an extensive trip to the UK and she brought me the Michael Klein set and I have to say, I've never used rounds like that but boy, am I loving them (I've only had them a week)  https://www.rosemaryandco.com/brush-gift-sets/michael-klein-floral-set?filter_name=michael klein   that background brush and fan brush are lovely as well.  I've only been working on flowers with them so don't know your landscape needs.

It IS overwhelming - it is really a joy to experiment with the different brushes and find ones you love and wonder how you ever did without.  The riggers, for me, are the ones I never had before and they are indispensable.

PaulBRonna
  • Julianna said:
     ... combers ...
    @Julianna how do you manage to use a comber brush well?  Every time I pick it up, it looks like I'm painting with a garden rake.

Every time someone uses a fan brush I feel it shows in the painting, I can see that curved line.  Combers that put four parallel lines are the same.  I don't know how to use one without putting recognizable patterns on the painting.

Mark tells us not to put recognizable patterns on the canvas, but it's just too hard not to with those brushes.
  • @PaulB   well, I am hardly anyone to emulate or give lessons about such matters but for me, those combers are the most perfect for blending or softening believe it or not, I hold it so the bristles are parallel to the canvas - not comb (pointy edge) side to the canvas but the entire side of the brush (almost, there is a slight angle) - especially dry for just bringing edges together - for grasses or landscape textures (even sometimes in trees) I will dab the top third (little paint works best - wipe off excess) - I have a lot of different sizes so I have never found the size repeating but what do I know?  I'm surprised MJS doesn't use combers more for his tips of grasses effects.  So, dry brush holding brush sideways for the most subtle, smooth edge blend, little paint for grasses even some trees - moving brush all kinds of ways.  I have even blobbed paint on and just touched for some of my mustard paintings.  
    Fan brush - I never, ever, ever use the curved side of a fan brush - ever.  Tips and edges and Michael Klein uses them brilliantly for his subtle blends by just touching lovingly the two zones he wants to bring together.  Notice MJS never, ever uses the curve whole brush.  I love this sweet lady - here is a great little video about fan brush magic;  

Mark tells us to be subtle as well and that colors are not as saturated as we see so he would be ashamed of me and my "progress".  I flip my canvas all around when I paint so I can't say that I have recognizable patterns - except perhaps for my clouds - that is hard to do - keep those patterns so abstract and random.  I hate seeing the same sizes over and over again in my skies - I need to paint blindfolded perhaps to get that right.  :)
    RonnaPaulB[Deleted User]
  • I have only used the Rosemary & Co ivory range. I am very happy with them. More than happy. As a company their customer service is also excellent.
    I have some W&N brushes that pale in comparison- A recently bought one of their 4x0 snapped off at the ferrule as I was wiping some paint off- very poor quality IMHO.
    Julianna
  • Awesome!  I'm writing all this down and circling Rigger brush.  I do like what the Michelle Dunaway set has.  I may not get the set but some of the ones in it for sure.  I did manage to purchase a dagger brush the other day at Plaza Art with my 30%off but maybe I'll get the Ivory one too.
  • The alla prima set has an ivory round brush the tip is so pointed (see the one with the cap) does a very fine line I haven’t tried all of these yet but I am happy with the purchase and for a start it didn’t break the bank... fast shipping chocolates included lol, and here is a picture for ya ..along with the daggers
    PaulBJuliannaRonnaBOB73
  • Just thought I'd mention that if you are in possession of a brush that you don't like, there are several things you can do.  The first is to wait a few years until it dawns on you it's exactly what you need.  Or, just hold on to it until you see what another artist has discovered to do with it that now makes it useful to you.  The third thing you can do is take an embroidery scissors and snip away at the head or belly until it becomes a one-of-a-kind brush that no one in the world has but you.  This is especially true of fan brushes.  Happy snipping! 
    JuliannaPaulBRonnaBOB73
  • Hi @Ronna
    I bought a set of Rosemary brushes very recently. 
    Set 150 from the Elipse range. 
    Ten brushes in all. 
    Very happy with them and couldn’t recommend them more highly. 
    Happy Christmas !  :)
    Ronna