Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Artist CV Format - Preferably from a self-taught artist

Does anyone have an artist resume format? I am getting stuck and unsure about what to put after a point about arts. I don't have a flashy Fine Art degree. This looks very amateurish! :/

Kaustav Mukherjee                                                    

address

cell no.

Social Network: https://www.facebook.com/kaustavmfineart/

Email ID: [email protected] 

Professional Experience

·         Exhibitions under Mr. R.N Batham's curatorship in Kala Mitra Gallery in Noida, Uttar Pradesh

·         Participated in artist camp in Noida

·         Interviewed by Hindustan Times

Present Status

·         Producing artworks actively with a focus on realistic landscapes and portraits

·         Also producing original abstract expressionist works

Other Interests

·         performed as a musician in Kolkata as a guitarist, percussionist and additional vocalist

·         Interest in landscape photography.

Biography & Education

·        Born in Durgapore, West Bengal 30th May, 1982

·        Post Graduate Diploma in Management

·        Presently working as Senior Managing Analyst ...

Comments

• I think this CV very good. Personally, I would not write that you are 'presently working as ....' because it sounds like art is just your hobby...

In my opinion it is not important what you write (as long as it is short). All that's important is the quality of your art work (and you don't have a problem there!!!). Even most galerists don't care about degrees when the paintings are great and they think they can sell them. At least over here it is like this. There are also the more arrogant and stylish galleries but they are not my goal anyway...

In my CV's I say openly that I have 'no formal art education' or that I am 'self-taught' (which is not true because the 10 days in Marks workshop where more valuable in art education than 1 year anywhere else)... .
  • @Kaustav, I think your website is the best CV you could have. But to be trendy you might have to add a dreaded 'Artists statement'  :)
  • EstherH said:
    I think this CV very good. Personally, I would not write that you are 'presently working as ....' because it sounds like art is just your hobby...

In my opinion it is not important what you write (as long as it is short). All that's important is the quality of your art work (and you don't have a problem there!!!). Even most galerists don't care about degrees when the paintings are great and they think they can sell them. At least over here it is like this. There are also the more arrogant and stylish galleries but they are not my goal anyway...

In my CV's I say openly that I have 'no formal art education' or that I am 'self-taught' (which is not true because the 10 days in Marks workshop where more valuable in art education than 1 year anywhere else)... .
    @EstherH Thanks very much for the idea!  In your case, you can write that you were trained privately under US artist Mark Carder! That is not self-taught!
  • Kingston said:
    Do you really need a CV. The first info on a CV that gets looked at is education. In fact the document are creations of the art academia. Where. Who. 
    Self taught artists. Artist who learn thought workshops and other none ‘legitimate’ non academic sources are irrelevant. 
    More an excuse for some jerk to reject you on irrelevant  criteria. 
    Spend your time painting. 
    I know @Kingston but still some demand a CV even when there is not much to show except my work.

Apart from that CV thing, does a printed glossy one or a half sheet page work better than just a website address as an introductory approach? This will have a design similar to my website and some thumbnail photos. What do you think? Works good as a card while presenting all the info? I feel that a hard copy is a lot better than just a web address.
  • Roxy said:
    @Kaustav, I think your website is the best CV you could have. But to be trendy you might have to add a dreaded 'Artists statement'  :)
    I got something like that one my website! Will use that for sure! :)
    Forgiveness
  • Is there anything out in stating "primarily self taught" and then about the training received. I am going with the belief that self taught artists and primarily self taught artist were most often sought out in the arts, at least at one time this was so or more the popular trend. It seems reasonable to spend not so much time on CV only what's necessary including an artist's statement and be painting most often.
    Kaustav
  • Hi Kaustav,
    contrary to the advice to just keep painting, a well written resume and biography is important if you want to-
    A. Present yourself to a gallery for consideration.
    B. Establish a connection with collectors.
    C. Clarify in your own mind your position as an artist, your motivations and your goals.

Just from your comments on this forum, with a little editing, I can gather enough information to begin to construct an artist statement:

“My feelings for a landscape scene is the result of a connection made within a second. That's how a I paint...never losing sight of that vision.
    Most of the time it happens that we painted a picture perfectly - the way we saw it. But we notice that it hasn't reached the desired level. The potential of the subject matter hasn't reached a level beyond what we see. This is what I am after. Getting connected to the subject matter and understanding what it needs. This is imagination. Executing an idea requires a well practiced hand to bring it to completion.”

Depending on the culture and the country you are trying to sell in, being self taught ( I prefer the term self directed) is not necessarily a disadvantage. Galleries are businesses and the bottom line is selling. So what a gallery really wants to know is will your work sell, and they will be looking at your cv for that. Now, if you should happen to send a small painting to a friend in America, another one to a friend in say England, and one to someone in Australia  your cv can contain the honest statement:

“Kaustav Mukherjee’s work is held in private collections in the USA, Europe and Australasia.”

So, Kaustav, I would encourage you to press on and keep writing and refining. 
    PaulBKaustavtassieguyjswartzart
  • Hi again @Kaustav, I just went and had a look at your website. I can’t see size,support, medium, or price on your paintings- people looking at purchasing art online want this information, size and price especially. If I go to a commercial gallery this information is available as I view the painting.

Also, you have a number of portraits- people are less likely to buy this type of painting of someone they do not know but if you are showing these as examples of your work for portrait commissions a statement that you take commissions and a price guide would be helpful.

You have to make it as easy as possible for people to purchase your work. I don’t know whether you are able to enable e-commerce on your site, if at all. Check out FASO, a provider of professional artist websites.
    Kaustav
  • I have a section titled, Studied with... then give a list of all the folks you have taken classes from. I think this can be pretty impressive, especially if you have taken classes with noted artists, such as Carder, Windberg, Ross, Bush, etc. )) 
    Kaustav
  • @Boudicca thanks for the suggested changes. You are behaving like a marketing expert! I will try to make my CV on these lines for sure!

Regarding the details of the painting, I cannot make out how to put these details along with the photos as they are uploaded on a separate photo uploading website. I definitely need to find a way for this.

Portraits were uploaded to show that I can do portraits. Uploaded ones are of me, my wife, my baby etc. So they are not for sale. I will explore this area more and more because this sells even after 200 years of photography!

Also, thanks for mentioning https://faso.com . Some of the websites under this platform are known to me for years.
  • edited November 2017
    @Kaustav ,nothing would please me more than for you to live your dream. 
  • Boudicca said:
    @Kaustav ,nothing would please me more than for you to live your dream. 
    :)