Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Interesting Art Palette/Table

I found this interesting.  He also has some great videos on painting birds, fur, feathers, etc.

dencalKaustavRenoir

Comments

• I saw this and its pretty cool. however, I really cannot bring myself to mix paint on something like this, it just requires too much time to clean. I use paper and just throw away the hardened mess. 
    Ronna
  • edited November 2017
    His video on painting a still life is amazing. He really knows what he's doing. Great landscape painter too.

However as instructional videos to learn from his videos are pretty useless compared to Mark Carders. I bet lots of total beginners try to follow his videos to start out and never get anywhere.

I also prefer my diy carder palette to what he shows here. Getting your own piece of glass cut is nicer and still very cheap... Under $10. I love painting on a glass palette.

Too bad this guy doesn't recommend cleaning it with isopropyl, a scraper and paper towel. People need to know that
    RonnaRenoir
  • His video on painting a still life is amazing. He really knows what he's doing. Great landscape painter too.

However as instructional videos to learn from his videos are pretty useless compared to Mark Carders. I bet lots of total beginners try to follow his videos to start out and never get anywhere.
    Yeah, he's amazing to watch, but a lot of the narration is just a list of paint names and brushes.  I feel some of his instructional videos are great though.
    Too bad this guy doesn't recommend cleaning it with isopropyl, a scraper and paper towel. People need to know that
    Palette knife and a paper towel for me - no need for alcohol.  Not on the palette at least.
    Ronna
  • His video on painting a still life is amazing. He really knows what he's doing. Great landscape painter too.

I don't really think his youtube stuff is meant to be truly "instructional". He really produces some great content for his YouTube channel, as you can see its got great production value. But I would be it's long-term meant to be advertisement for his longer, paid instructional videos on his site. Either way, he's fun to watch.
    I also prefer my diy carder palette to what he shows here. Getting your own piece of glass cut is nicer and still very cheap... Under $10. I love painting on a glass palette. Too bad this guy doesn't recommend cleaning it with isopropyl, a scraper and paper towel. People need to know that
    I don't think he got a piece of glass cut? If I remember right, he just used a tempered glass shelf out of a defunct fridge?
    Ronna
  • edited November 2017
    Aah I like this guy, he is a nice guy and will answer your questions if you comment on his FB, Instagram or YouTube.  @bhamhawker , that is indeed a fridge shelf repurposed as a palette.  
    Ronna
  • I meant that Mark recommended getting your own piece of glass cut :)

I would like to see his paid instructional videos.... if anyone has seen them let us know if they're worth it :)
    Ronna
  • @movealonghome
    Oh! I see! Sorry!

I went simple for mine - got two pieces of glass out of big old frames from Goodwill. I have a big white wooden table that we built a while back that was not being used, so I taped the edges of the glass down to the wood. I could stand to get some color behind the glass, but for now it works. The duck tape around the edges keep it secure while also keeping little toddler fingers from reaching up and grabbing the cut edge of the glass.
    Ronna
  • I've never bought any of his videos.  If he comes out with a full landscape with mountains then I will.  That dagger brush he uses looks pretty neat.  I might have to get one of those.
    movealonghomeKaustavRenoir
  • Ronna said:
    That dagger brush he uses looks pretty neat.  I might have to get one of those.
    The one I have looks like it could be made from a flat and a craft knife.
  • Ronna said:
    I may try that.
    Doesn't look difficult...

Ronna
  • That just looks like an angle brush you can get at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I checked out the Rosemary&Co ones and they have a much steeper angle. I would think cutting away that much of the bristles from a flat would probably not get the desired outcome.

Just looking around the internet, those dagger style brushes don't seem to be readily available.
    Ronna
  • I checked out the Rosemary&Co ones and they have a much steeper angle.
    These are both Rosemary & Co Evergreen angle brushes.
    Ronna
  • I purchased his Seascape video when it first came out. It was extremely informative and detailed with step by step process - he is very generous as is Mark.  I've probably watched it about 7 times and still learn something new every time.   He does love to engage on social media and his wife has written to me several times regarding an order issue - they are a lovely couple and I really admire how he loves to teach and share.  I also have one of his portrait video lessons - I would recommend them.  He loves his dagger brushes!  The things I learn from him the most are how important the planning is, he blocks in and then models and then gets finer and finer and is always holding off his lightest lights for exactly last - he is constantly talking about holding off on those highlights etc...  He had a huge studio and now with his move to New Zealand , he has a tiny room for a studio - that video was amazing to see how he is making that space work for him.  I wish him all the best success in the world - he deserves it.  Good Karma!

Ronna
  • edited November 2017
    @Ronna I am following him for some time now. His videos are really well crafted. If someone wants to do good detailed work (retaining abstraction), then he/she can follow him. Andrew also replies very quickly. His gadgets are really cool too.

Only thing that I still do not find in his videos is that determining value while he blocks in, which is explained exceptionally well in Mark's videos. He recently did two videos on the same painting one for blocking in and another for finishing; but still the value theory was not quite there. Maybe he will address this in the future videos.
    Ronna
  • I really enjoy watching and listening to his videos. I always seem to be inspired when I have bus YouTube's playing while I'm painting. I agree that he is very generous with his knowledge and experience just like Mark Carder. I also appreciate that he shows how to repurpose things....like shaggy paintbrushes and refrigerator shelves...which reminds me, I should go to our appliance store to get a shelf!

I think it's a really good idea to look at several different artists for inspiration and technique.

Ronna