Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Can you help me cut back my colour palette?

I'm new to this forum, hello! Very much enjoying these tutorials and a newbie to oil painting.
I have an image I'd like to paint, and I took some time to carefully colour-pick different areas using Photoshop. The result was that it looks like I have a good set of colours but perhaps too many. As I watched one of the videos recently that said to keep it simple. Can anyone advise on how I can cut back on the colours I've selected please?

Comments

• The list of values you have isn't absurdly high - you could definitely use all of those. I recommend mixing 7-8 steps for the fur, and then doing a bit of mixing as you go adding yellow or red or whatever to get the colour variations for specific areas.

Any plan on how you're going to paint the couch fabric?

This could be a great painting. Expect to spend 20-30 hours on it to make it look really good. I'd probably use a tiny detail brush for the cat, painting with tiny and precise brushstrokes.
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited October 2017
    Watch DMP video on choosing color groups. For instance the cat ears, nose mouth is one color group. eyes is a second. fur is #3. do one group at a time. Look at the picture background and imagine the couch one color, no pattern. I only see four or five values in the fabrick. I'd make that my background for the whole portrait and ignore the floor, walls and furniture.. the grey makes a complimentry backing to the pink of the ears and will make the eyes pop. There's no pure white or pure black in this. Good luck.
  • @movealonghome
    The list of values you have isn't absurdly high - you could definitely use all of those. I recommend mixing 7-8 steps for the fur, and then doing a bit of mixing as you go adding yellow or red or whatever to get the colour variations for specific areas.

Any plan on how you're going to paint the couch fabric?

This could be a great painting. Expect to spend 20-30 hours on it to make it look really good. I'd probably use a tiny detail brush for the cat, painting with tiny and precise brushstrokes.
    This is very useful advice, thank you. I did think the colours were important so didn;t really want to lose any of them. The idea for the fur I think would work really well. I'm also grateful for how long you think it would take, as I'm usually impatient, so if I have an idea of how long it could be that will help me pace myself and enjoy the process.
  • BOB73 said:
    Watch DMP video on choosing color groups. For instance the cat ears, nose mouth is one color group. eyes is a second. fur is #3. do one group at a time. Look at the picture background and imagine the couch one color, no pattern. I only see four or five values in the fabrick. I'd make that my background for the whole portrait and ignore the floor, walls and furniture.. the grey makes a complimentry backing to the pink of the ears and will make the eyes pop. There's no pure white or pure black in this. Good luck.
    @BOB73 Thank you, the colour groups tip is very helpful, I shall watch that video. I did wonder about the fabric, I was actually going to just try to paint in what I see, including the rest of the background, as I'm not experienced enough to improvise - but I think you have a point about just using the fabric as the entire background. I'll think about that. Thank you again.