Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Is this an adequate camera? Canon Rebel eos 300 D Digital?

Hello, while calling around trying to find a good deal on the Olympus camera Mark recommends my boss overheard me and offered me his Canon Rebel eos 300 D Digital camera to "borrow" not sure how much money he wants for it, if any.  The camera I believe was made in 2004.  I am wondering if it would be worth it or not to spend the extra money and get the Olympus camera that Mark recommends.

I want to have a camera that is above adequate for taken great pictures and don't mind spending the money for the Olympus camera Mark recommends, but if this one will work fine it would be nice to save the money, 

Can take Raw Pics, shot in manual mode and have all control over ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.
Full specs can be found here https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/canon-eos-300d/specs/

Here are the specs it thought usefull.  Thank you for input!

• Depth
    7.2 cm
  • Sensor Resolution
    6.3 Megapixel
  • Optical Sensor Type
    CMOS
  • Total Pixels
    6520000 pixels
  • Optical Sensor Size
    15.1 x 22.7mm

Light Sensitivity ISO 100, ISO 1600, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800

• Digital Camera Type
    SLR

Comments

• PaulBPaulB -
    edited October 10
    No, 6.3MP is inferior to modern phones.  A modern DSLR will be capable of 20+MP, with many built-in features that did not exist in 2004.  Image stabilization, for example, and shooting RAW.
  • Thanks Paul, the camera can shoot in raw format, but sounds like you are saying I need to bit the bullet and buy the better camera? 
  • I'm not going so far as to say "spend a lot", I just wanted to point out that phones are better than that camera in several ways, but not all.  If you want a high-end camera, that isn't it.

I recommend waiting for others to chime in here.
  • 6.3 megapixel is really low. Probably too low to make good prints to paint from.You can get a very good dslr with 24 megapixels in the 400 to 500 dollar range. Easy to find good deals on used cameras too as lots of people buy them and never use them
    PaulB
  • I follow several professional photographers on Instagram and they consistently recommend using the least expensive camera you can find, such as a Canon T6 EOS Rebel DSLR.

You can get this camera w/ EF-S 18-55mm IS II & 75-300mm III Lens Kit + Accessory Bundle 64GB SDXC Memory + SLR Photo Bag + Wide Angle Lens + 2x Telephoto Lens + Flash + Remote + Tripod & More on Amazon for $549.00

It is a digital SLR camera with an 18MP CMOS sensor and the DIGIC 5 image processor. With 14-bit Analog/Digital conversion, an ISO range from 100-12800 (expandable to 25600), and Multi Shot Noise Reduction. The Rebel T6 can continuously shoot up to 5 fps.

Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-75-300mm-Accessory/dp/B01MYM739C/ref=pd_cp_421_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GHAR3RNA1C4JF03NDE6R

If I had any money I would give serious consideration to this bundle. It seems you get a heck of a lot for a pretty rock bottom price.

Julianna