Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

British portrait awards unglazed request

Hello,
I usually use saflouwer oil for making my palate and then to thin paint with liquin fine ditail for second layer.
This make is dry more quick..but is also make the painting a bit more glossy.

Does this mean that if i use liquin (fine detail in this case ) , my painting can' t be eligible for submission of BP award competition ?

I not on that level, but if i work hard, i want to at least be able be apply.

What you guys thinks ?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited October 10
    fissativo

All such competitions detail the submission rules on or near the entry form.

I have never seen any restriction or prohibition regarding the use of Liquin.

Denis

fissativo
  • Thanks, for the BP awar it just state that the painting must be " unglazed". 
    And liquin ( fine detail in this case ) is gloosy, " good also for glazing".

As i am not an expert i ask about this request of having an unglazed painting.. ? 

• dencaldencal -
    edited October 10
    fissativo

The reference to “unglazed” refers to glass not Liquin or varnish.

Denis

• RoxyRoxy -
    edited October 10
    @fissativo, does 'unglazed' simply mean not behind glass?
  • dencal said:
    fissativo

The reference to “unglazed” refers to glass not Liquin or varnish.

Denis

Oh well... that was quite a miss by my side. In that case it means that a paintig can have glazing and or be varnished then. :smile:

• @Roxy , as Dencal says it seems they simply talk about the glass and not varnishing or glazing :smile:
  • @fissativo it seems that some crude oil guy has made that rule about oil painting! it means unvarnished or not under a protective layer. I use only linseed oil as a medium but the way I make my boards, my paintings glow, become glossy and shine. What can I do about it?
  • Kaustav said:
    @fissativo it seems that some crude oil guy has made that rule about oil painting! it means unvarnished or not under a protective layer. I use only linseed oil as a medium but the way I make my boards, my paintings glow, become glossy and shine. What can I do about it?
    Well if it is the medium then we can not varnish or use mediums that glaze in my opinion.
    One option is to use a spirit thinner if you want a fast dry.

All painting kind of glow, but when you paint section with a glazing medium, you see the difference. SO i guess you are fine..

Any experts about this topic ?
  • Best to ask the officials at the contest who made the rules. Since most artists use a medium that has a varnish in it or if they don't use it in the medium, they varnish the painting after it is dry. It makes sense to me that they mean a glass over the frame. that's my non-expert opinion.
  • fissativo said:
    Kaustav said:
    @fissativo it seems that some crude oil guy has made that rule about oil painting! it means unvarnished or not under a protective layer. I use only linseed oil as a medium but the way I make my boards, my paintings glow, become glossy and shine. What can I do about it?
    Well if it is the medium then we can not varnish or use mediums that glaze in my opinion.
    One option is to use a spirit thinner if you want a fast dry.

All painting kind of glow, but when you paint section with a glazing medium, you see the difference. SO i guess you are fine..

Any experts about this topic ?
    @L.Duran paints with glazing technique. He is an expert.