Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Kens Mum

did this painting from an old black and white photograph, feed back please...................
dencalFlattyPaulBtassieguyKschaben

Comments

• Great values.  Is the right foot too long?  The right glove looks unfinished.  Is there toning missing on the jaw on the right?  I feel the table on the right needs more straight lines, but I'm not sure, without the photograph, it's just a feeling.

The jacket is really well done.
  • edited October 9
    Very good. There are two things that jar for me.  First, where the hairline meets the jaw on our right (her left)  I feel there should be some gradation between the hair and her jaw. Secondly, there's something about her lower lip. The shadow beneath it makes her mouth hard so that she looks very butch. But maybe that's how it should look - without seeing the reference photo it's hard to say.  The clothing is really well done. Overall,  I think it's a fine monochrome painting. 

• I feel there is something weird about to happen with that glove,..reminds me of fight club,....but overall I like it,
  • PaulB said:
    Great values.  Is the right foot too long?  The right glove looks unfinished.  Is there toning missing on the jaw on the right?  I feel the table on the right needs more straight lines, but I'm not sure, without the photograph, it's just a feeling.

The jacket is really well done.
    Thanks for your comments, unfortunately two things have went wrong, Firstly the photograph I took of the painting has lost some quality on the uploading and secondly the  reference Photograph was not the greatest quality to dark in places, as Mark has said always paint from a a good reference photograph, the table and the mirror in the background are actually on a drape which is hanging behind the subject, all sizes are exact, thanks once again.............. 
  • tassieguy said:
    Very good. There are two things that jar for me.  First, where the hairline meets the jaw on our right (her left)  I feel there should be some gradation between the hair and her jaw. Secondly, there's something about her lower lip. The shadow beneath it makes her mouth hard so that she looks very butch. But maybe that's how it should look - without seeing the reference photo it's hard to say.  The clothing is really well done. Overall,  I think it's a fine monochrome painting. 

Thanks Tassieguy, yes the shaddow could have been toned done a bit on the lower lip, the photo was so dark between the hair and hat but still it's a learning progress, thanks for your comments......

tassieguy said: