Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lighten up.

I've  been painting for years but only in the last few years have I taken it seriously. I rent a studio and try to paint Monday to Friday. My painting was always tight, detailed and bland. DMP helped me to lighten up my approach. This painting of a whippet was about to be painted over but I thought, What the Heck, and tried a freer more fluid approach. I finished it in a few hours......unheard of for me because I agonise over every dab. I will never go back to my old ways.

• Love the composition, brushwork and muted colour scheme. Even though it's loose it all hangs together very nicely.
  • I thought I had deleted this earlier version but found it again. I think it's better in a freer style.
  • There is a world of difference between these.  The looser version has such better color/value, no black outline, depth...

Don't go back!
  • There's no comparing them - the first image posted above is far and away superior. Stick to your new found freedom, revel in it.  :)
  • The saying beauty is in the eyes if the beholder is so true because I like the  earlier version best.  But what I like does not matter  you have to go with what you like. :)  
  • I think both of them are done well; but, each evokes a different reaction. The first painting: the dog feels lovely, friendly, happy; the second painting, the dog feels muscular, fierce, unpredictable. Those are just the gut reactions I have to the substance of your paintings. 
    The style of painting I like in both. I actually really enjoy the style of the first one you painted, as it reminds me a lot of an Arts & Crafts style of painting that I really enjoy. I wouldn't dispense with it. You really perfected that style.
    The second painting, when I look at the 'technique' I think you've done quite well. There's a strong sense of movement, dynamism, emotion. It is in the style of the classical artists, the masters and I love that style as well.
    Both are equally valuable and I think you are quite gifted in that you are able to utilize more than one style/technique. This is wonderful and you have much more flexibility to convey many different subjects, actions, moods, etc. than many of us mere mortal painters.
    I also wonder if there isn't something of a more feminine quality in the first painting that appeals to women (Rosanne and I) and the second painting has more movement which may intuitively appeal to the men who responded. I don't adhere to gender stereotypes, but it is interesting that there seems to be such a strong reaction from ;males so far. 
    Very good!
  • Well, I never saw those aspects. I'm a man, Grrr, and I much prefer the picture that I posted first. The second picture was one I enjoyed painting but it lacked beef. It was too bland. It sat for months unloved by me and after a while it began to annoy me. As I said before, I was about to give it a coat of grey so I could paint over it. I will post another that I painted of a whippet and grew to hate. I took to it and painted out the background and tried the freer method. I would value your opinions on it, another whippet. 
  • I definitely prefer the first posted painting, nice and loose.