Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Geneva Paint. First Landscape painting.

I’ve just finished this and am reasonably happy with it.
I’d welcome any comments as they are very helpful. 
It’s 16x20 but I think I should have
painted it on a larger canvas.
rautchetanSummermjkeaneyRichard_PJPBPaulBCandoratassieguydencalFlattyKaustavMoksartanweshaRosanneJuliannaRoxyWIKENRenoirmichalisAgnieszka

Comments

• I can image to have a rest there and enjoy the nature :) 
    PaulB
  • Oh, that's nice Hilary. This looks different than your other work. I like the water reflections of the sky and tree shapes especially.

The house looks a little undefined at the moment compared the the dark value contrast of the leaves against the sky.
    PaulB
  • Love it such luscious greens 
    PaulB
  • It certainly would look nice on a larger canvas. However, its also fantastic here too! :)
    PaulB
  • edited October 6
    Love it! Look at Kevin Hill and Bob Ross.....
  • Hi @Hilary, a next level up from your previous postings, I can really see improvement here. Well done on the reflections and achieving a sense of distance. 
    PaulB
  • From what I could see in the reproduction you used as your source I'd say this is quite a difficult subject. So for a first landscape I think you have done very well, @Hilary.  I love the atmospheric perspective - the blue of the distant trees imparts a sense of depth. I can't wait to see what you do next. :)
    PaulB
  • edited October 6
    Lovely scene and reflections. I think it's wiser to try new things on a smaller size unless you are a professional of course. My first and my only landscape painting was painted on a large canvas. Not so good, regretted it. You can always do it again and share it to us all to see.
  • FlattyFlatty admin
  • Nice light into it!
  • Thanks so much everyone for your nice comments. It gives me hope !  :)
    I’m so aware of all the really talented artists here and I sometimes feel so lacking in my own ability. 
    I was watching Mark’s video yesterday about oiling our a painting and I was wondering if anyone can tell me when you need to oil out and why. 
    I think it’s because the darks have lost their intensity and this is a way of restoring it. I notice that my darks have lost their intensity and the painting did look a lot better when the darks were wet. 
    Do I need to oil it out or will the darks be restored when I varnish it ? 

• Hilary said:
    Thanks so much everyone for your nice comments. It gives me hope !  :)
    I’m so aware of all the really talented artists here and I sometimes feel so lacking in my own ability. 
    I was watching Mark’s video yesterday about oiling our a painting and I was wondering if anyone can tell me when you need to oil out and why. 
    I think it’s because the darks have lost their intensity and this is a way of restoring it. I notice that my darks have lost their intensity and the painting did look a lot better when the darks were wet. 
    Do I need to oil it out or will the darks be restored when I varnish it ? 
    Oiling out is never necessary, but sometimes helps you match colors on your palette to colors on the canvas, if that canvas is dry.  For example if you paint all the black areas in a picture, then take a vacation, when you return that black looks matte and flattened, less rich, less dark.  Painting the next step to that black, adjacent to the dry black will look even worse than a DMP painting usually looks at the beginning.

So you oil out the small area you want to look the way it did, so you can continue the work.

Never oil out a painting that is not dry - you will instead smear paint.

Oiling out a painting is temporary, the oil dries, and it's back to being matte and flat.  If you oil out a painting, it's so you can see it for what it is, for the purposes of continuing it.  If you oil out a painting, you must let the oil dry out before you varnish it.  Oiling out a painting means you have to delay varnishing.

Varnishing a dry, flat painting will look the same or better than oiling it, and the varnish will be permanent.

I believe this to be true, and if not, please someone correct me, for I am therefore doing it wrong.
    RosanneJulianna
  • That's how I understand it too Paul.

One thing though: If you do oil out be aware that you adding a small layer of yellowish oil on top of the colours you have already painted..
    PaulBRosanne
  • Very nice painting @Hilary - the tree mass on the left hand side may be a bit heavy/solid, but the overall lighting is lovely, and I especially like the way you have used the texture of the canvas - it gives it real life.  
    Julianna
  • @PaulB
    Thank you so much for all that info. So helpful. I was never too sure about oiling out and was a bit nervous about attempting it. But thanks to you , I know it’s purpose now.  
    I think I’ll give it a miss this time as I’m just going to wait till it dries and then varnish it. 
    It’s so helpful to get advice from people like yourself , it really is , so many thanks for taking the time. 
    Also @Richard_P
    Thanks also @BOB73 and @Roxy. Your comments are very helpful and encouraging. 
    Without this forum I don’t think I’d be able to keep trying to improve. I find the artists here inspirational , and so generous with their time and expertise. 
    I’m sure I’m not alone in this. We are lucky to have this space. 
    tassieguy
  • Hilary said:

Without this forum I don’t think I’d be able to keep trying to improve. I find the artists here inspirational , and so generous with their time and expertise. 
    I’m sure I’m not alone in this. We are lucky to have this space. 
    You are so right, Hilary. And it's wonderful to watch people improve and develop as painters as you are doing. You're painting at a much higher level than when you started.. :)
  • Hi @Hilary, great to be back and to see that you are painting away...love your landscape  :)
  • Ηilary I think this painting is one of the best you ever posted! Love the mood, well done!
    PaulB
  • Good to hear from you @marieb
    Don’t forget to call in again if you’re passing my way.  :)
    marieb
  • Thanks so much @michalis
    That’s such an encouraging thing to say. 
    Very much appreciated! 
    michalis
  • edited October 9
    michalis said:
    Ηilary I think this painting is one of the best you ever posted! Love the mood, well done!

See, @Hilary, you are painting at a higher level. I think this landscape is as good or better than your still life (which I think was the last you posted before this landscape). Keep at it. Forget about all that talent crap - you're as good as anyone here.  As Mark says, talent is a myth.  No one is born knowing how to judge value, how to mix colours, etc. Technique must be learned.  Sure, you need an eye for the beautiful. But virtually all of us have that. Painting well is really about acquiring the technical skills and then working hard in applying those skills to express the beauty you see and want to communicate. You have the makings of a fine painter, to be sure, Hilary. :)
    michalismariebRoxy
  • What a lovely post , Rob.  :)
    I think I’ll copy it and paste it on my studio wall. 

We can all do with encouragement I think , and to get it from fellow artists means even more than if it were to come from non painters. 
    It’s scary ( at least I think it is ) to post your paintings in a public forum. It makes you vulnerable. 
    But as Dr Brené Brown says : ‘ Vulnerability is the birthplace of creativity ‘. You can never achieve anything if you don’t ‘ get into the arena ! ‘ 
    She also says , If you’re not in the arena with me , then I’m not interested in your feedback ! ‘. 
    I love this quote. 
    The way I see it is that our arena here is full of people who are daring to be vulnerable enough to show their work and have earned the right to give constructive criticism. 
    I think that’s why it works so well. 
    Thank you again , Rob. Your post has lit up my day. 

mariebJulianna