Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

English Rose and Peony WIP Master Study

So, I love Michael Klein - for me, he is the living Fantin-Latour of our time.  I have been trying fabulously unsuccessfully to paint flowers from my garden.  I even bought some gorgeous artificial peonies so the death factor wouldn't be an issue.  I got worse and worse and really, embarrassingly horrible.
So, I am trying my first master study.  I purchased Michael's flower video - watched it about 4 times and then decided to give it a go.  I have to say, it is exhausting because I am pausing, mixing, painting, re-winding, re-mixing, painting but I am learning a ton.
So far what I know:  I paint very, very thick.  I need to keep my shadows thin!  I am poor at mixing earth tones and missed the value of them with the primaries.  I'll show you my set up which is a corner of my studio that is a disaster - I am watching the video on my laptop and I have a high resolution photo of his finished painting on my Nixplay.
Today was day 2 for me and I have golf tomorrow so won't be able to finish it until this weekend :(.  I hate for some of my mixed paints to start drying but I have to trust that I can re-mix.
If you see something that sticks out immediately, I would love to know.  I am probably about half way done so there is a lot to do.  Thank you for your input.

RosanneJack2015KaustavtassieguyvinumblankForgiveness

Comments

• Very nice - maybe a little water level line in the vase, would help "strengthen" the vase presence but its very nice.

JuliannaKaustav
  • edited October 5
    Lovely, @Julianna. The soft colours are great and the way you've done the petals makes them look beautifully delicate and the feeling of space between them and the wall is very convincing.. Once you get a highlight on the glass bowl it will really pop. It might be that you were holding the camera not quite horizontally but the table seems to slope up to the right. But, wait, now I look again I can see it's the camera or you cropped it crookedly so no problem there. I know you're only half finished but I think this will be a excellent floral still life. Very Fantin-Latour
    Julianna
  • @alsart    the vase will definitely have a water line - that is just the block in phase - I haven't touched the vase or purple/crimson flower since the block in.  This is a WIP and I have a lot of work to do - I suppose I am only halfway done.  Perhaps I should have waited until it is closer to being finished before posting.  I was just wondering if values are off or something really wonky that I am blind to at the moment.  That table needs to be leveled before I finish that off!  Thank you  :)
  • @tassieguy   thank you - you were typing as I was!  It's funny how that table really looks wonky in the photo - i'll use my level when it is time to finish that part.  This is difficult!
  • I love Michael Klein’s floral paintings too. If it’s difficult it means you’re learning a lot :)
    This is looking really promising- I think patience will be the key here.
    Renoir
  • This is quite lovely and I think you have a very good foundation. I must say, you do flowers lusciously!  I love the lighter colored flowers with the deeper peach/apricot/rose values and the thickness of your paint. It's distinctive and just lovely!

• edited October 5
    One resolution for immaturely ( to your purpose) dead of flowers is that you can take a reference photo after setting up your subject. Adjust the exposure and colour balance it. It would be useful after all of your fresh flowers are dead? Lovely painting already by the way.Seeing waterline would make it look more complete as @alsart suggested.
  • I don't see anything bad in it! Probably a few highlights and shines are missing on the vase and the red flower needs a bit more fixing I guess.
  • Mark said to cover and keep your paint in the fridge. maybe that would help. coming along quite well. going to be beautiful.
    Renoir
  • Soft , dreamy and romantic. 
    Very easy on the eye. I think you’ve captured the softness and delicacy of the petals very well. The colours are beautiful. 

I’m not sure , but it seems to me that the base of the bowl could be ever so slightly rounder.  It seems a little too flat. 
    Maybe someone else could comment on this. 

• Really nice vase, it looks great with the water level and highlights.  Nice brushwork on the flowers, they have an old master feel to them.  Subtle color in all the petals.  Not your usual palette.

I don't see much glare in the photo - a little by the fallen leaves.  I'm a little confused by the green between the two pink peonies.
    Julianna
  • you are so perceptive!  there is one leaf that I keep scraping because it just isn't correct between the two peonies - it has a very dark value and soon goes to a bump of highlight on the leaf and then to the cast shadow part of the leaf on bottom area - I have hated every pass/attempt so just rub it off with my VIva -  I think that tomorrow I will try that stupid leaf again and my guess is that will be my 80th attempt at getting it right.  :)    I did fix the table by turning it on it's side and it looks much better smoothed out.  It is amazing how much I have to learn and how much I thought I knew and how wrong I was!!!!  :)

PaulBRenoir
  • Beautiful, @Julianna.  The bowel is not quite symmetrical. That is the only adjustment I would make. The petals are simply gorgeous and the flowers overall work so well against that background. Well done!
    H.M
  • It's coming along, getting more and more beautiful!
  • This is looking beautiful @Julianna. I really like the cooler colours you are working with.
  • @PaulB    do you see all those dots everywhere - as if a white canvas is showing through microscopically?  The panel is toned - there is no white canvas in those spots - it is like my DSLR RAW shooting camera picks up any little micro anything when I crop and edit a photo of one of my paintings.  I photographed paintings at museums and it just seems my camera does the same thing in that it is too microscopic in some sense.  I'd rather a polaroid.  I have spent countless hours trying to figure out how to photograph artwork at the expense of just painting.   I don't like a photograph of my painting to look so "off".   I am waiting for my photography lesson with my camera and oil paintings - it should be enlightening.  
  • Julianna said:
    @PaulB    do you see all those dots everywhere - as if a white canvas is showing through microscopically?  The panel is toned - there is no white canvas in those spots - it is like my DSLR RAW shooting camera picks up any little micro anything when I crop and edit a photo of one of my paintings.  I photographed paintings at museums and it just seems my camera does the same thing in that it is too microscopic in some sense.  I'd rather a polaroid.  I have spent countless hours trying to figure out how to photograph artwork at the expense of just painting.   I don't like a photograph of my painting to look so "off".   I am waiting for my photography lesson with my camera and oil paintings - it should be enlightening.  
    Ah yes, I see now, but I had to zoom in to do so though.

I get the same problem.  I think it's because I photograph (more like wave my phone towards) under a strong 5000K light.  The light reflects off the paint, which is both wet and lumpy.  No wonder I get a lot of reflections.

When I photographed my basement painting, I took it outside and propped it up on a trash can.  It was not in direct sun, nor was it a very sunny day, but it was bright.  The diffuse light made for a much better photograph.  It came out so much better than all the indoor, late-night post-session photos.  I will try and repeat that for the next one I varnish.

I also took a photo of the trash can, which I'm painting now, for fun.  Don't ask.
    Julianna
  • Lovely painting @Julianna, it has a real classical feel. If you are still worried about the table line, I think the problem is the very left hand side edge, where there is a touch of dark fuzziness that leads the eye upward rather than off the edge of the canvas. Not sure if that makes sense?
  • its a lovely painting!.. the colors of flowers, how you painted the background, the table ... everything is working to make the painting beautiful.... I was just wondering whether some of the table colors would show through the vase or not, just curious!
    Bancroft414
  • Beautiful work so far. I agree with @anwesha and think that it would anchor the vase to the painting more.  I would think that there would have been some alteration of tone or color -- definitely refracted - of the water being effected by the table. But when looking at his painting on your tablet I see there no such variation.  Odd....
  • @Julianna - nice work, i like the single brush stroke in the vase, to represent the stalk.

• So, this is a much more difficult lesson than I anticipated.  I am learning a lot - I am hoping that perhaps another day and I can move onto flowers in my own garden.  Gosh, Michael Klein makes it look easy.  My table and vase aren't quite as wonky as the photo but they still need to be perfected.  Thank you so much for your input - I agree about the vase not picking up the table refraction but it didn't in the video or in his painting.  

PaulBdencalBancroft414Kschaben